PDA

View Full Version : 14.5 BCM build.

Ripdog33
12-20-13, 03:39
221842218322185I built a 6.8 a year ago and got the but for a short mid 5.56 since LWRC is going to release the 6.8 rec set I had to find something to build off the old parts. Aero receiver, YHM 12in LW, Troy fixed hk style sights, magpul furniture, Troy fore grip. These parts had may be 200 rounds of 6.8 thru them. Got the Wilson Combat sale FA bcg. BCM std 14.5 and a BC 1.5 off the EE and a H buffer. I love the feel. The weight is centered at the front of the magwell/ forward take down pin. Swings nicely. Also love the section of barrel that is past the hand guard. Gonna take it out today and run it a little.

Ripdog33
12-20-13, 15:51
I was at the range before 0700 and ran thru 150 rounds. Funny my sight zero held from the tear down and build up. Lots of failure drills on 2 targets. Ran it hard and I was amazed by how flat and soft this shoots. I am very pleased. The bolt and timing are as perfect as I have seen on any gun. Brass was all at 4 o'clock 4ft away and most touching. No brass rubs at all. All was 55g AE.

Ripdog33
12-21-13, 14:50
Decided to get a minimalist stock. Also the ACS is Long. 22221

Moonlight Again
12-25-13, 12:08
Nice rifle.

Ripdog33
12-25-13, 13:32
Thank you. Santa was good this year. 22283

Moonlight Again
12-25-13, 14:02
I got the impression from your original post that this was pretty much a "hey let's throw it together" type build----I don't at all mean that in a bad way, more of a "parts on hand" type thing than a "let's sit down and spec everything out just the way we want it" build. For a "HLTIT" build, that's a damn nice package---not just quality parts, but quality parts that seem simpatico with each other. (I think you made the right call swapping stocks.)

Say, I just realized why I like it so much: it's a damn close cousin to BCM's EAG Tactical carbine, which is still pretty much what I think of as the "turnkey fighting package."

Dmaynor
12-25-13, 14:11
I am a huge fan of 14.5" since picking up a DD and a Noveske with a pinned hider.

I don't have any BCM guns but between your gun and the Haley Jack I am going tongi ahead and plan for one in the new year.

Ripdog33
12-25-13, 15:39
I got the impression from your original post that this was pretty much a "hey let's throw it together" type build----I don't at all mean that in a bad way, more of a "parts on hand" type thing than a "let's sit down and spec everything out just the way we want it" build. For a "HLTIT" build, that's a damn nice package---not just quality parts, but quality parts that seem simpatico with each other. (I think you made the right call swapping stocks.)

Say, I just realized why I like it so much: it's a damn close cousin to BCM's EAG Tactical carbine, which is still pretty much what I think of as the "turnkey fighting package."

No offense taken. I mostly said I have these what else do I need. Some was based off the EAG and my forend was a close match. I wanted the FF and longer rail. I wanted a down and dirty gun that I can push hard. I'll be running a few K rounds through it in the next few weeks.

Ripdog33
12-25-13, 15:40
For the paint I read Pat Rodgers and the 10-8 articles. Went with Krylon camo and a window screen to break it up.

Ripdog33
12-29-13, 14:16
Got some RCBS dies and 55g hornady FMJBT in. Using RL10x at 22.5 - 23g so testing a range.

Ripdog33
12-30-13, 14:44
Ran 100 reloads and some factory AE today. 400 total and the only issue I had was a primer blew out and caused some feed problems. After I seen it and cleared it there were no oter isses. Zeroed my Aimpoint Micro for 50/200. Hammered 2 mags 60 rounds as fast as I could without any problems.

Ripdog33
01-02-14, 23:54
Ran another 180 thru it today. Lots of primers blown out on the reloads. I'm dropping the charge .5g and decreasing the crimp a bit. Hope that works.

Ripdog33
01-09-14, 13:51
Got the Magpul Rail mount in and had a Surefire 6P for a few years i threw on it. I really like the positioning Magpul used for this.2262722628

Scrubber3
01-09-14, 14:34
That's a nice build. I had to have a similar one and went with the new 14.5 RECCE mod 0 mk2. I say MK 2 only because it not the same as the original mod 0 but he box isn't any different. The comp and middy keep it in line really well.

I really like how yours looks and I think you have done a good job. Seems like its reliable too. Can't beat that.

Ripdog33
04-10-14, 16:55
So im closing in on 1000 rounds thru it. Had not one problem in the first 500-600 even with my own reloads. Then MALFS. Started with my reloads and now the full power 556..... got to the point in one day I went from mag dumps to single shot. Well the BCG I got from Wilson Combat had a staked gas key but it was loose. I tore it down, cleaned, lock tight and tightened the hell out of it. Ill get out and run it hard again.

Scrubber3
04-11-14, 23:53
If you didn't use new screws and stake it again (better this time), you may have issues. Also, check the gas tube where it contacts and make sure it didn't get messed up. Look forward to hearing that it runs right.