PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Gift

Wake27
12-20-13, 07:45
Yesterday was my commissioning ceremony into the Army and my dad, who was a naval officer for a long time, got me this gift. I don't own anything like this and was pretty blown away. This is the best picture I have of it at the moment, but thought I would share. He said that it was produced in 1857, according to the serial.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5519/11464531135_e7732cb920_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58801550@N02/11464531135/)

montanadave
12-20-13, 08:26
I sense parental disapproval of your choice of service branch. :)

Just kiddin'. Very nice gift to commemorate a special occasion. Congratulations on receiving your commission.

SeriousStudent
12-20-13, 17:35
Congratulations on your commissioning. May your service reflect honor upon your family, your oath, and your nation.

And your dad's pretty cool, by the way! What a great family heirloom.

Campbell
12-20-13, 17:56
Big congrats, and your dad is a badass!:)

48J
12-20-13, 18:08
Wake,

Congratulations on earning your commission and on your new gift. What branch did the Army choose for you?:D

Safe journeys.

Wake27
12-20-13, 20:57
Thanks guys.

Wake,

Congratulations on earning your commission and on your new gift. What branch did the Army choose for you?:D

Safe journeys.

I'm going ordnance - not sure how I feel about it yet but I can't hate my first duty station (Hawaii) so I'm trying to keep an open mind.

coastwatcher42
12-21-13, 00:30
Congratulations on your wonderful gift and your commission. I would also like to extend a heartfelt thank you for your service to our country.

Wake27
12-22-13, 17:49
Congratulations on your wonderful gift and your commission. I would also like to extend a heartfelt thank you for your service to our country.

Thank you very much. I noticed something interesting today, maybe this was common but the hammer has a notch cut into it, so when it is cocked back it acts as the rear sight. Very cool.

Sgt_Gold
01-12-14, 21:00
I noticed something interesting today, maybe this was common but the hammer has a notch cut into it, so when it is cocked back it acts as the rear sight. Very cool.

That's part of the design of pistols of that era.

So you're going ordnance? Remember, don't hate on your classmates when they are O6P's while you're still an O4. Remember, you chose the mensa section of the officer's corps:sarcastic:, instead of the knuckle dragging combat arms stuff.:dirol: You can always switch branches when it's time for the advanced course.

Wake27
01-13-14, 03:39
My dad sent me the promotion list to 0-7, loggies seem to do just fine there. That being said, I really don't know that it's for me but of course there's only one way to figure out. My instructor told me to keep Ranger batt and SF group in the back of my mind, seeing as how he'd been in one or the other for a long time. Part of me would love to do that, assuming I could make the cut. I've got about 2 years to figure it all out though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

brushy bill
01-18-14, 10:10
Fantastic family heirloom. Congratulations on your commission and thanks for your service.

Esh
01-19-14, 15:57
Wake 27,
As an Ordnance officer have you considered EOD? The selection course is a little difficult (both a mental and physical smoker) but all good things in life are. I have been an FA Officer for 7 years and the loggies are a key aspect of any military operation. Realize that the commander will never thank you for doing your job and the minute that any vehicle is deadlined you are the biggest screw up in the world even-though Soldiers cannot correctly fill out 5988-E, thus, you cannot fix and order parts that you do not know are broken. At any rate, congrats on your commission.

If you want to extend your horizons look at going to airborne school or Ranger. Have those schools under your belt will open a lot of opportunities for you. If you decide to get out of OD look at VTIP (Voluntary Transfer Incentive Program). But I would really look at EOD. Small teams of highly trained and motivated personnel that do an incredibly important job for the maneuver commander.

As you said you have 2 years to sort these things out. Right now just worry about being a good leader. Be humble, have a sense of humor, and make morally right decisions. Good luck and awesome pistol!

Wake27
01-19-14, 17:40
Fantastic family heirloom. Congratulations on your commission and thanks for your service.

Thank you, I hope to be able to pass it down.

Wake 27,
As an Ordnance officer have you considered EOD? The selection course is a little difficult (both a mental and physical smoker) but all good things in life are. I have been an FA Officer for 7 years and the loggies are a key aspect of any military operation. Realize that the commander will never thank you for doing your job and the minute that any vehicle is deadlined you are the biggest screw up in the world even-though Soldiers cannot correctly fill out 5988-E, thus, you cannot fix and order parts that you do not know are broken. At any rate, congrats on your commission.

If you want to extend your horizons look at going to airborne school or Ranger. Have those schools under your belt will open a lot of opportunities for you. If you decide to get out of OD look at VTIP (Voluntary Transfer Incentive Program). But I would really look at EOD. Small teams of highly trained and motivated personnel that do an incredibly important job for the maneuver commander.

As you said you have 2 years to sort these things out. Right now just worry about being a good leader. Be humble, have a sense of humor, and make morally right decisions. Good luck and awesome pistol!

I considered EOD for a little while, but in the end decided it just isn't something I really want to do. I do want Ranger and will be training for it while at BOLC with the hopes of getting it as soon as I get to my unit. Word is, a lot of commanders in the 25th are sending people to every school they can so that's good news for me. Thanks for the input.