PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on my new knife design?

hunt_ak
12-20-13, 11:56
I'm not a 'knife guy' in regards to going crazy over custom blades and whatnot but wanted to get something bullet proof, being the only thing I need to worry about throwing in my bag for hunting in Alaska. Give it a read and lemme know what you think. Hate it? Lemme know why...

http://www.thealaskalife.com/featured/alaskan-hunting-knife/

jonconsiglio
12-20-13, 13:04
I like it. It looks like a very useful blade and about the perfect size. The only thing I'd recommend is offering, as an option, textured g10 similar to Emerson folders. No cutouts or designs, just a bland black G10 with a very useful texture.

Very nice. I've been through a lot of fixed blades in this size. I could see this being very useful.

hunt_ak
12-20-13, 14:01
Thanks Jon, I appreciate the feedback. I put quite a bit of thought into this thing as I knew what I wanted to have but just had to get it into my hands. I'll definitely look into scale options and peek at the Emerson folders.

slowlowmiata
12-20-13, 14:23
I really really like the design of this. Handles look great IMO, I'd love this with a 3-3.5" blade

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

jonconsiglio
12-20-13, 14:58
Thanks Jon, I appreciate the feedback. I put quite a bit of thought into this thing as I knew what I wanted to have but just had to get it into my hands. I'll definitely look into scale options and peek at the Emerson folders.

Keep in mind, that's the easiest thing to change or offer more options for. The knife design, blade steel, length and shape are great for a field knife in my opinion. The scales are too. I just like the all black, rough feel. Even gunner type grips or any other of the VZ offerings that could be made would be great.

I can't comment on the heat treat because obviously I haven't used it, but if he did it right, s35vn can be done very well. Pick up a Strider and Chris Reeve done is s30v or s35vn and it's a night and day difference with neither being truly better overall, just for certain uses.

I don't think it'll have any problem selling as it. Just thinking out loud about what I'd do if I bought one. I'm looking for a new hunting and camping knife actually, so I'll keep an eye on this one.

SeriousStudent
12-20-13, 15:56
Nice design. It's well thought out and is a very good fit for the criteria you laid out.

I am a big fan of CPM steels, and think they do amazingly well with the right heat treat, as Jon said.

Cwalker
12-20-13, 19:37
I'm not a fan of the scales, but like already stated, that's an easy to change option. The blade itself looks great. I've been in the market for a field knife and this one has my eyebrow raised. Price point is very attractive.

hunt_ak
12-21-13, 10:33
I'm not a fan of the scales, but like already stated, that's an easy to change option. The blade itself looks great. I've been in the market for a field knife and this one has my eyebrow raised. Price point is very attractive.
That's a second for different scales. My choice for this, as the article states, was for high-visibility while butchering a large critter and easily finding it laying in the tundra. The laminated black and orange just gave it a more attractive look...I thought.

Are you guys thinking that the high-vis option might not be a good feature? Lemme know for sure!

hunt_ak
12-21-13, 10:34
Also, drop me a few photos of what you might be looking for as well...

jonconsiglio
12-21-13, 10:47
That's a second for different scales. My choice for this, as the article states, was for high-visibility while butchering a large critter and easily finding it laying in the tundra. The laminated black and orange just gave it a more attractive look...I thought.

Are you guys thinking that the high-vis option might not be a good feature? Lemme know for sure!

What I think is a good idea, and this should mean nothing since I'm just basing this on what I've seen over the years, is having an option for the bright orange scales. I think ESEE does that as well as a few others.

I've had a lot of knives with a number of different handle types, and I always go back to the plain black G10 with a fine gritty texture similar to Emerson folders. I'll find a pic of a fixed blade online and post it.

Again, this is NOT a deal breaker, I just like options.

Also, just read your PM. I'll get back to you in a bit. Sorry about that. It's been a long week.

Found this Strider CP on BladeHQ.com. I've owned Striders with this handle and I like the feel a lot. I prefer the Emerson texture. Now, this of course is if I had everything my way. I'm usually pretty happy with whatever I get. I'm just more into the working handles instead of those with designs.

http://www.bladehq.com/imgs/shop-by-brand/all-strider/strider-cp-large.jpg

hunt_ak
12-21-13, 11:02
I really appreciate the feedback! After a quick search, it looks like coarse textured G10 is available in a myriad of colors, so we may have to do some more 'testing' to see what is most well received. Thanks again, Jon, Cwalker, and others!

Cwalker
12-21-13, 15:21
Solid orange or whatever bright color would be my preference.

hunt_ak
12-21-13, 17:31
Solid orange or whatever bright color would be my preference.
Noted.

signal4l
12-21-13, 17:50
It looks like a well thought out design. I like it. I would offer a few different colors for the handle. Include a length of orange paracord if the high viz feature is important

Mac5.56
12-21-13, 22:01
Very cool project, and a great end product!

David Thomas
12-22-13, 07:12
I like the scales the way they are.
Nice job. Sounds like you put a lot of thought into the knife.

hunt_ak
12-22-13, 10:13
Very cool project, and a great end product!
Thanks Mac!

I like the scales the way they are.
Nice job. Sounds like you put a lot of thought into the knife.
I do think the camp is split on this so we may have to offer at least one other option for the scales. I'll keep you guys posted. Unfortunately we just got word that our second batch was shipped to us so if it may be a bit before we get a blade with a different set of scales in our hands...

superstratjunky
12-22-13, 10:17
Solid knife with all kinds of possibilities! Wood grips, plastic, & paracord! Blade too with it having different finishes that are possible! Great idea to go with high visibility for hunters. :cool:

hunt_ak
12-22-13, 10:24
Solid knife with all kinds of possibilities! Wood grips, plastic, & paracord! Blade too with it having different finishes that are possible! Great idea to go with high visibility for hunters. :cool:
Roger that! We may end up making a knife that offers just a paracord handle as well so folks could put high-vis cord on it and also keep cost down a bit more, possibly. I really appreciate all the feedback, guys, I really do...

FlyingHunter
12-22-13, 17:04
Excellent knife design Congrats!

Since you asked...

My preferences: Bright hi viz handle, slightly 1-1/2" shorter blade, and much more aggressive serrations e.g. saw thru the pelvis capability.

jonconsiglio
01-01-14, 13:17
hunt_ak, clear out your inbox buddy....

Happy New Year!

hunt_ak
01-04-14, 13:51
Jon, sorry for the late reply on this! DONE!

Safetyhit
01-04-14, 14:48
Very nice knife. Fantastic work.

montanadave
01-04-14, 15:03
"Sold Out"? WTF? ;)

Got more on the way? I'd like to get something along these lines for a buddy's birthday.

ETA: My bad. Found the Bolduc Knives link.

jwdeeming
03-05-14, 12:12
I like it. Good call on the size and blade design.

usmcvet
06-01-14, 16:02
Looks like a great knife and the price is reasonable. I like the high visibility grips.

hunt_ak
06-02-14, 11:30
"Sold Out"? WTF? ;)

Got more on the way? I'd like to get something along these lines for a buddy's birthday.

ETA: My bad. Found the Bolduc Knives link.

Sorry for missing this Dave! We've got some on-hand if you need one...

Averageman
06-04-14, 13:43
Great knife, thanks for posting this!

Avtech850
07-26-14, 13:06
Great knife! Looks life you've got a winner on your hands. Im going to have to keep this in mind the next time Im in the market for a new skinning knife.