PDA

View Full Version : New Build Questions

crimsonstone
05-12-08, 14:36
Hello! I'm new here, and am in the process of building my first AR.

At the risk of appearing ignorant of the "Search" feature... I've got a few questions about this first build that I can't quite nail down answers to.

Right now, I have a DPMS lower populated with a DPMS LPK. I also have a Sabre Defense 16" Midlength barrel assembly and CMT/Stag BCG.

I'm debating on whether or not to hit the [Checkout] button for a VLTOR MUR upper, and it seems like there are a few intricacies about it that differ from other uppers. I read that a standard action block won't fit properly over the MUR, and that I'd need to use a Panther Claw vise block to install the barrel. Are there other little issues that I should be aware of?

Also... The SD barrel that I have has a triangular cap behind the FSB, and I'm wondering how that limits my options for purchasing handguards, or whether I should remove it... and if so, should I attempt the removal as inexperienced as I am, or would I be better off finding someone else to do it for me? I'm not shy around a workbench, but outside of installing the LPK, I've never worked on an AR before. I am trying to do as much of the work as I can.

Which brings me to the largest headache I have.... FF rails vs. 2-piece. I would really like a railed forearm that's sturdy and that I can install myself. I'd like it to mate with the rear of the FSB (not go past it, or fall short).

Weight is also a concern, but I haven't purchased a stock yet, so counter-balance is still a variable I can work with.

Thoughts?

crimsonstone
05-13-08, 22:00
Nothing, huh? :(

xm15
05-14-08, 02:57
well, I like mine. the rear takedown is REAL tight a year later it is still.
I am happy with it.
I had the time and material and made a panther claw custom for it.you don't have to , I just wanted to.but you will need it tho.
I prefer a 1-piece rail, no thought to weight.I have a c-more, it is not lightweight.but is FF.
stock, lots of options, CTR , PRS a non MAGPUL product...

xm15
05-14-08, 03:04
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/moorerick55/one.jpg
you know what it looks like
a c-more, I rarely see these, I got mine 10 yrs ago
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/moorerick55/eight.jpg