PDA

View Full Version : Incoming upper brings questions

BAC
05-12-08, 14:43
So, taking advantage of a group buy I've got a Rock River Arms 16" Mid-length upper coming soon (however long "soon" is for RRA). With this, it would complete my first AR and I'd finally have a lead thrower I could take to a carbine course; apparently K98 Mausers aren't allowed. :rolleyes:

Anyway, here's the basic rifle outline:

RRA 16" Middy upper (1:9, chrome lined)
Superior Arms lower receiver
Anvil Arms lower parts kit
A1 stock (standard internals).

Since RRA doesn't stake anything, I'm sending the uppers to G&R Tactical for proper carrier key treatment and to upgrade the extractor internals. Cool, that's taken care of. I'm purchasing an H buffer from him, too, so when it gets back with the upper I'll swap the standard one for it.

The purpose of this rifle is an introduction for me to AR building, and it's going to be used primarily as a training rifle to take carbine courses with and to become familiar with the AR platform. Is there anything else I should consider upgrading? Would it be better to just send Grant the whole rifle instead of just the upper so the castle nut can get staked, too? More to the point, is there anything in particular about this rifle I should be mindful of?

Thanks,

-B

markm
05-12-08, 15:39
You said A1 stock?

There's no castle nut on an A1 stock.

Staking the carrier yourself is easier than shipping it to get it done in my opinion.

And since you're getting a middy, you don't need any extractor upgrades.

BAC
05-12-08, 15:45
Really? Well that's cool, I suppose. Saves a trip away at least. Stock assembly doesn't get here 'til tomorrow, so I haven't had the chance to see what can (or needs to) be done yet. Thanks for the catch.

I would stake the carrier myself, but it's cheaper to send it to Grant than to screw it up by not doing it right or buying the moaks to do it right. The extractor upgrades were something mentioned by Grant as part of the staking deal.

-B

markm
05-12-08, 15:47
Yes. I like the A1 stock myself too.

Castle nut is unique to the collapsable stock reciever extension.

BAC
05-12-08, 23:31
The A1 is a tad shorter than the A2, so a little more comfortable for me and can still be had at a great price. Fit in perfectly with what I was trying to accomplish. My estimation is that the rifle should be good enough for what I'm trying to do with it; that being, get a rifle to train on and last until I can get a nicer rifle. But I've been wrong in the past and wanted to be sure that even with its limitations (which, given the price paid for the rifle, I can accept) it's taken care of as much as can reasonably be expected.

Of course, I might be "that guy" in a class who has to use a loaner AR, too. :o

-B

AMMOTECH
05-12-08, 23:39
A1 stock (standard internals).

I'm purchasing an H buffer from him, too, so when it gets back with the upper I'll swap the standard one for it.

You will not need an "H" buffer with the rifle stock. You will be "that guy" if you do try and run it that way.

BAC
05-12-08, 23:57
I'd thought carbine and mid-lengths needed a heavier buffer...? Or is that just carbines (or am I simply off-base)? :confused:

Edit: Oh, hell, I realized why. A1 stock with standard internals is already appropriate for mid-length, isn't it?

-B

Parabellum9x19mm
05-13-08, 00:18
A1 and A2 stocks use a rifle receiver extension. a rifle buffer and spring is used in that set up.

Carbine stocks (M4 and most other telestocks) use a carbine receiver extension (and a castle nut) and use carbine buffers (standard carbine, H1, H2, H3).

If you have a rifle receiver extension, use a standard rifle buffer. I find the midlength gas system and rifle buffer system work very well together.

You can tell them apart by the length...the rifle buffers are longer than the carbine buffers...and the rifle buffers only come in one weight (as far as i know), whereas the carbine buffers come in four weights.

You don't need any further upgrades. Shoot and enjoy.

BAC
05-13-08, 00:19
Cool. Thanks for confirmation (and clarification).

-B

markm
05-13-08, 08:31
Just by going to the rifle buffer system, you're increasing your reliability over the carbine system.

I run an 11.5" barrel and an A1 stock. That set up will run any ammo. I even shot some silver bear crap that wouldn't run in my brother in law's guns.