PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M4 or Versa Max Tactical?

Tzook
12-22-13, 16:42
Hey all, I'm looking to pick up a new shotgun and I had it narrowed down to the Benelli M4 Super 90, until I messed around with a Versa Max at Dick's. It seems like a really nice gun, and I wouldn't mind not having to mess around with buying a mag extension separately. Any reason why I should go with one over the other? The Benelli will be at LEAST 300 more than I could find a Versa Max for, maybe more as well.

I don't shoot 3 gun, this will purely be for messing around, taking a class or two with potentially and home defense.

Elkhound
12-22-13, 17:14
Not to confuse the process, but what about the Beretta 1301 tactical? I am interested in it, or the Versa Max Tactical. I had not really considered the M4, due to price, but in reality, it can probably be had for about the price differential you mentioned and should be factored back into my consideration.

ptmccain
12-22-13, 17:40
That's like asking, "Mercedes or Ford"?

underwater
12-22-13, 17:45
Why not the Benelli M2? The Remington versa max is a copy of the m2. The M2 uses Benellis inertia system, is super reliable, and it's lighter and cheaper than the M4. Don't get me wrong, the M4 is great and all but it's more complicated than the M2 and offers you no real advantage unless you are going to mount a ton of heavy gear onto it like NVDs or thermals. Just my opinion. I've shot about every Benelli config there is and feel that the 18.5 or 21" M2 with aftermarket ext. tube offers everything you might need in a defensive shotgun for less money,complication and weight then the M4 and is better quality than the remington.

EDIT:
The 18.5 inch version have ghost ring sights and some come cyl bore only while other configs have threaded barrels and the 21 inch versions have a low rib and thread in chokes that might offer more versatility when choosing shot, pattern, and distance for target engagement. I prefer the 21".

Steve
12-22-13, 18:28
1301 from beretta

skatz11
12-22-13, 18:32
The Versamax is more a copy of the M4 with its gas system. I use a Versamax for 3gun, it's reliable and soft shooting. Only complaint is that it's a little heavy. The best feature is the huge loading port.

My father just got the new Beretta 1301 and it's a badass shot gun too. I haven't had much trigger time on it yet. He really likes it compared to the 1100 he was using.

Tzook
12-22-13, 18:41
I'm assuming that's the Versa Max being the Ford.... I'm definitely not a shotgun guy, and all I really have to go on about the Versa Max is propaganda videos I've seen

DRT
12-23-13, 10:11
Get the M4. The M4 is awesome and the difference in price will long be forgotten over the life of the firearm.

clg9mm
12-23-13, 17:44
VM will take up to 3.5" shells. Cycles any ammo with no issues about lights or other gear on the gun. You can ghost load the VM. It is a little heavier than the M2. Less recoil than the M2. I ran an M2 in 3 gun and bought the VM. I will do it all and use the money saved to pay for ammo or classes.

CA_Shooter
12-23-13, 18:04
Another vote to take a serious look at the Beretta 1301 Comp. Apart from needing sling swivels, which can be resolved inexpensively, and a extended mag tube it is good to go as is. I believe from shooting this over the last few months this would make a great defensive shotgun. If you wait a few months Beretta will even have a tactical 18.5" version of it available.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-23-13, 21:05
The M4 wont shoot target loads reliably, keep that in mind. It is, however, way cool.

phreakboy83
01-03-14, 19:08
The M4 wont shoot target loads reliably, keep that in mind. It is, however, way cool.

It will if you shoot 3inch duck loads through it for awhile. My M4 shoots light quail and dove loads regulary when I'm out shooting skunks and coons at night.

MadAngler1
01-06-14, 18:16

Mine shoots #7 or 8 shot, 1 - 1 1/8 oz, game loads all day without an issue. Just don't put Winchester AA or Remington STS loads in your gun (but the super handicap loads should run fine). Standard game loads are cheaper anyway, for the purposes of three gun.

Alaska3006
04-10-14, 13:39
I shoot grouse with my m4 using Low power 6 shot........no problem!

Just put a little lube in the action.......and she barks!

ericridebike
04-10-14, 14:40
I just recently picked up a Versamax Tactical and I love it so far. I also like the fact that since it is American made, you don't have to worry about the 922r compliance issues.

Big Bronze Rim
04-10-14, 21:38
I just recently picked up a Versamax Tactical and I love it so far. I also like the fact that since it is American made, you don't have to worry about the 922r compliance issues.

Hopefully the build quality and QC is better than the other less than stellar stuff coming from Remington lately. I'm very happy with my Benelli.

Rezarf2
04-17-14, 09:37
To the OP Benelli all day.

bruin
04-17-14, 13:11
I don't shoot 3 gun, this will purely be for messing around, taking a class or two with potentially and home defense.
Either will be fine for your needs. The M4 costs more, but is shorter and has a optional collapsible stock.

When choosing a shotgun, versatility is a big factor I consider. You may not shoot 3 gun now, but why not leave the door open for that in the future? Some clay ranges prohibit barrels under 20" and pistol grips. Maybe you or a family member might enjoy trap/skeet someday; it's nice if your shotgun can do all that as is, wherever you shoot.

In that regard, the VM edges out the M4. However, a 21" M2 or Beretta 1301 are better options than the VM in some respects. Can you live with the typical shotgun 14"+ LOP? If you need shorter, the 1301 comes out on top, plus it's the cheapest of the four and has a few upgrades built in. The M2 has the advantage of widespread adoption in the 3gun world, excellent smiths who know the platform inside and out, and the widest aftermarket parts base.

I picked up a 21" M2 and would look hard at the 1301 if I had to do it again. Benellis will spoil you if you ever go to an American brand, that's for sure.

SpyderMan2k4
04-24-14, 21:31
I'm a little partial to the M2. I don't know if I would ever take a Remington semi auto over a Benelli.

ad_infinitum
04-25-14, 00:34
Advantages of VM Tactical:

Less recoil
Cheaper
Shoots 3.5" shells
Higher capacity, is 8+1+1 of 2-3/4" shells or 7+1+1 3" shells. Don't have to mess with the tube. M4 will take 7 2-3/4" shells versus VM can take 7 3" shells, either way, it's an advantage.

Disadvantages of VM:

No PG stock, what were they thinking?? But you can install Benelli M4 fixed stock to create a Remelli.
A little too long and too heavy but you get higher capacity tube vs M4.

ad_infinitum
04-25-14, 00:36

Less recoil
Cheaper
Shoots 3.5" shells
Higher capacity, is 8+1+1 of 2-3/4" shells or 7+1+1 3" shells. Don't have to mess with the tube. M4 will take 7 2-3/4" shells versus VM can take 7 3" shells, either way, it's an advantage.

Disadvantages of VM:

No PG stock, what were they thinking?? But you can install Benelli M4 fixed stock to create a Remelli.

NongShim
04-29-14, 20:31

Less recoil
Cheaper
Shoots 3.5" shells

Disadvantages of VM:

I would put the lack of pistol grip stock as a plus. I HATE the PG stock on my M1. You don't see many pros running the PG...that is a clue. It sure looks bad to the bone, though [sarcasm].

I was about to get a VM, but found a new M2 for less and got it. Also, I kept getting lots of glare off the top of the VM but don't from the M2.

Peshawar
04-29-14, 21:08
M4's can come with the field stock now. I have two and I've been very pleased.

WS6
05-21-14, 02:19
1301 from beretta

I have seen a lot of "big names" buying 1301's. MD Roberts has at least 2 of them, now. This is the same guy who complained a while back to me that an alloy receiver could get bent on a door frame and there weren't light attachments readily available for a certain shotgun, and here he is with TWO shotguns with alloy receivers, cannot yet figure out how to attach a light to them (per his own words), and he's happy as can be.

I'm taking a LONG look at the 1301, myself!

Good things:

-Fixed choke (nothing to sail downrange)
-LIGHT! (6#, 11.2oz! Benelli M4 is 7#, 12.8oz (Ti mag-tube gets you to 7#, 7.8oz---still almost 1 pound heavier)
-Report is that it's damn reliable, and auto-regulates for anything you want to stuff in the chamber, unlike the FN SLP which has various pistons.
-Has good sights and a rail
-Stock is 13" LOP (and has shims) instead of Benelli's absurd 14"+
-Chrome-lined/hammer-forged barrel/plated bolt (makes it stoopid easy to clean after slugging it up with soft lead)

Bad things:

??

WS6
05-21-14, 02:21
I would put the lack of pistol grip stock as a plus. I HATE the PG stock on my M1. You don't see many pros running the PG...that is a clue. It sure looks bad to the bone, though [sarcasm].

I was about to get a VM, but found a new M2 for less and got it. Also, I kept getting lots of glare off the top of the VM but don't from the M2.

"They" don't run a PG because it can get in the way of speed reloads. If the OP isn't a gamer, it's a non-issue. I wondered about the PG thing myself for a long time...the gamers all run M4's with PG's, why not shotguns? Comes about because of the manual of arms for reloading the beast.

WS6
05-21-14, 02:23

Out of the box, first rounds through several of mine have been 2.75 dram 1145fps target fodder just to prove that it will do it, and it does. Even from the hip rapid-fire. I have owned 4 M4's, and none of them have had cycling issues, including an M1014.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-22-14, 01:18
Out of the box, first rounds through several of mine have been 2.75 dram 1145fps target fodder just to prove that it will do it, and it does. Even from the hip rapid-fire. I have owned 4 M4's, and none of them have had cycling issues, including an M1014.

Well damn it all to hell...mine doesn't.

WS6
05-22-14, 03:36
Well damn it all to hell...mine doesn't.

What is the lowest recoiling round it works with?
What/how is it lubricated?
What parts on yours differ in any way from how it came out of the box from Benelli?

I recommend:

-Run the carrier "wet" like an M4 carrier.
-Remove the recoil spring and clean all of the packing grease/gunk out of it, and lubricate it and the "piston" in there lightly, as well as the recoil spring.
-Remove any aftermarket charging handle and replace it with the OEM charging handle or a 1/2" titanium one from FFT or Carrier Comp or Design Concepts.

ad_infinitum
05-22-14, 10:00
I tried both the regular shotgun stock and the pistol grip, the latter is way more comfortable.

MountainRaven
05-26-14, 18:31
I know it's a little late, but between the M4 and the Versa-Max... one is built to be a military combat shotgun and the other one is built by Remington. I know which one of those things I would rather have every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

YVK
05-26-14, 21:24
So, being milspec means uber alles, and Remington doesn't rate in shotguns?

MountainRaven
05-26-14, 23:34
So, being milspec means uber alles, and Remington doesn't rate in shotguns?

Hardly on the former and the latter applies to everything that has Remington's roll mark. The R51 abortion. Virtually every 700 made in the last seven years. Not to mention the declining quality of their 870s and the sharp nose-dive taken by every gun built by a Freedom Group brand in the Remington facility.

YVK
05-27-14, 06:18
870s not holding up anymore? I've not noticed much complaints, and my own is boring in both reliability and durability.

I've no idea how hard M4 Benellis are used by mil, simply because it is a niche tool which is probably last on the list of used small arms. The VM however is one of the most popular shotguns on 3G arena, where it explicitly gets as much use as any other shotty (except for M4 which doesn't stack up for that purpose), and as much can expect for a shotgun to be used in general these days. I think we would've heard of them not rating well by now.

ad_infinitum
05-27-14, 21:17
Versa Max is a Benelli M4 clone, same gas system, same bolt.
Softer recoiling and higher capacity.

The big problem with VM is lack of a PG stock but M4 stock will fit on a VM.

HKGuns
05-27-14, 21:26
Beretta and Benelli = Colt/DD/HK in the shotgun world, they are the gold standards.

Remington ~= Bushmaster, so the choice is yours and quite obvious.

I would definitely see what Beretta has to offer in addition to the looking at the Benelli.

My two main shotguns are both Beretta's and I have nothing but good things to say about them. I've never owned a Benelli, but I have shot them and have a high level of respect for their products.

ETA: The 870 is what it is....and this thread isn't about what it is.....People own 870's because they are cheap and cheap isn't the word I would associate with the two choices in the OP's original question.

ad_infinitum
05-27-14, 21:28
VM = zero malfunctions with anything. I could not get it to ghost-load with 2.75" shells, just 3" shells, weird.

Looked at the gas system, it was just like new and did not need cleaning.

YVK
05-27-14, 22:07
I never knew that Colt/DD/HK were gold standards, and I've been carrying an HK for a better part of last three years.

VM has an improved version of M4 gas system, on account of their gas ports. It has been very successful, just like Benelli M2, in an application where we currently see shotguns used the hardest and where failed equipment is being dismissed mercilessly. 3G success may not be a criterion others judge shotties by, but to me it is reproducible, verifiable and applicable. That's something I can relate to, as opposed to personal opinions.

ad_infinitum
05-28-14, 06:04
right. I wish they added a pistol grip stock like M4 and reduced the barrel length to 20" while maintaining capacity, if possible. M4 stock is an easier (and cheaper) swap that making M4 compliant via tube swap, etc.

HKGuns
05-30-14, 20:54
I never knew that Colt/DD/HK were gold standards, and I've been carrying an HK for a better part of last three years.

You should never stop learning.

YVK
05-31-14, 07:39
Yup. That's why I just bought Remington, so I can speak from a hands on experience. The type that I have by using HK products for last 10 years.

argyle64
06-11-14, 13:15
How about this for a wrench in your gears: Mossberg 930?

WS6
06-12-14, 01:37
How about this for a wrench in your gears: Mossberg 930?

It's not really in the same class. Kindof like throwing a Mustang 5.0 out on the track along with a Porsche 911 GT3 just because they both have around the same horsepower.