PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from New Jersey!

njrugerowner
12-22-13, 20:35
Hello All!

Long-time reader, first-time poster! I am new to the AR world and, unsurprisingly, my first AR was of a sub-par category, not heeding the sage advice of those who knew better. I learned this the hard way in a class at SE Pennsylvania: the ammo would not feed into battery. The AR company in question was very apologetic and, on their dime, had the AR shipped back to the factory and back to me very quickly, on their dime. Still... I felt I would never able to trust the rifle again. It was time to own up to my foolishness and I sold the rifle at a loss, determined that I would listen to the experts on this site the second time around.

NJ can be tricky because of our AWB, so I thought it would be simpler just to assemble an AR on my own using parts from Tier 1 manufacturers. So, I first purchased a LMT Defender lower with an A2 buttstock assembly. Now, I am looking at either the Daniel Defense M4V5 upper assembly (with a permanently pinned/welded Yankee Hill Phantom 5M2 Muzzle brake) or a custom assembly from DD itself via the "Build your own upper" feature...my personal build would utilize a mid-length gas system, 16" Gov't barrel, M4A1 Rail Interface System II, (RIS II) Black, DD Muzzle Climb Mitigator, and a standard DD BCG...based on my observations from this website, a chrome-plated BCG does not seem necessary. Am I correct that the DD muzzle climb mitigator is a muzzle brake? I ask only because I do not wish to run afoul of the NJ AWB.

I have an EO Tech 512 and Troy rear flip-up BUIS left over from my first (failed) experimentation in the AR-15 platform. I will likely put on a stubby vertical fore-grip from BCM and a flip-up front sight from Troy to complement the rear BUIS. Unfortunately, my DD rifle would need to be sent to ADCO to have the muzzle device permanently affixed, which is a minor annoyance. Still, I am leaning towards this custom build, but first wanted the advice of this forum.

I admit outright I was a fool for not listening to the people on this forum and bought a sub-standard AR my first go around and don't want to screw up again, so any comments or criticisms regarding my current trajectory is much appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

Best,
njrugerowner (Matt)

streakpi
12-23-13, 22:39
Welcome to the forum!

dash1
12-24-13, 05:50
Welcome.

njrugerowner
01-17-14, 00:10
Thanks! I went with the DD "Build your DDM4" upper option, with the above specs and a DD muzzle brake permanently attached in order to achieve NJ compliance. The build came super fast, too. I only have 100 rounds through it, but I am so far very pleased. Here is a pic: