PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Eotech Question.

Hawk777th
05-12-08, 19:33
Just wondered why the heck theres a class II laser warning on the side of my 512 that says do not stare into beam. Is this just a liability thing or what? Arent you supposed to look at the reticle to aim? I just wonderd why the crap the thing has a warning on it not to look into the back side of it when thats how it works. Or is it just protecting them from the lawyers?

BushmasterFanBoy
05-12-08, 19:59
Just wondered why the heck theres a class II laser warning on the side of my 512 that says do not stare into beam. Is this just a liability thing or what? Arent you supposed to look at the reticle to aim? I just wonderd why the crap the thing has a warning on it not to look into the back side of it when thats how it works. Or is it just protecting them from the lawyers?

Liability. I had my sticker on for over half a year before I figured I could just peel it off.

Hutch
05-12-08, 20:22
If you look directly into the beam it can penetrate the cornea, vitrious fluid, and fry your retina.

Hawk777th
05-12-08, 20:30
Wheres the beam come from? Or are u saying the retical itsself.

Tom_Jones
05-12-08, 21:13
deleted

Hawk777th
05-13-08, 18:17
The only reason I ask is I think some of the laser light may be escaping from the eotech. I know that for you to see the retical some has to escape the assembly. But the reason I ask is I took it out to the range and my eye started hurtin lookin through it and I mean bad. I have 20/15 vision and am a pilot so I think my eyes are fine just reupped my medical. I just have never experenced this sort of thing from an optical sight. The first time I used it I got a pretty bad headache just playin with it at the house (but kinda wrote it off as a headache lol). So am I just not compatible with the sight or is somthing jacked in my brain or eyes. I was about to buy 2 more for my other guns but this is buggin me. This is most likely the most ridiculous post ever put on this board, but just thought Id see if anyones ran into anything like that before maybe I turn it up to bright or somthing.

Ron S.
05-13-08, 21:58
Nah, I could see how it would bug your eyes after a while. After a while, though...not right away. It does bother me a bit to use my red dot sight (uses a T-dot) for a period of time, though. I usually switch to green because it's easier on my eyes.

I did try an EOTech 512 on a friend's Kel-Tec .223 pistol, and I would imagine it would strain your eyes after not too long, but if you lowered it between shots I wouldn't imagine it would be a problem.

Hawk777th
05-14-08, 00:10
It starts to bug my eye after 2-3 mins. Ill probly give Eotech a ring tomorrow, even though its probly just me.

Hoplophile
05-14-08, 16:06
They put the "laser"warning on there for the same reason Plextor put a similar warning on the DVD-ROM drive in my computer. There's no way to be directly exposed to the laser without actually tearing the thing open, but there's a laser in there so they play the CYA game.

TDrift
05-18-08, 15:39
I thought the warning was if and when the cover glass breaks then do not look at the laser.