PDA

View Full Version : gun cameras for NY cops??

Staind503
05-12-08, 20:39
http://wcbstv.com/local/police.handg....2.722036.html

N.Y. Senator Pushes For Cameras On Cop Handguns
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) ― In a flash, a police officer draws a handgun from its holster. Less than two seconds later, a red laser and bright light shine at whatever is in the gun barrel's path while a mini-camera records it all.

That's how mini-cams on police handguns would work under a proposal gaining support in New York, which would be the first state in the nation to require the technology. State police were briefed on the technology and are reviewing it for a possible pilot program, said Michael Balboni, the state's deputy secretary for public safety.

The device could create a critical visual and audio record of police shootings for use in court, said state Sen. Eric Adams, a Brooklyn Democrat and former police officer. He is drumming up support for testing the cameras with the state police SWAT squad.

Adams said recordings from the $695 cameras couldn't be altered by a police officer and would quell many questions after controversial police shootings, like the deaths in New York City of Amadou Diallo in 1999 and Sean Bell in 2006.

"That's definitely a new thing," said Meredith Mays of the International Association of Chiefs of Police based in Virginia. She said police have known the technology existed, but no state has required it.

Some police departments have put cameras on Tasers in the last couple years, but there is no major national effort by police to seek or block gun cameras at the federal level, according to the National Association of Police Organizations, a major lobbyist.

"We believe the state of New York can lead the country," said Adams, who retired after 21 years as a New York police officer. "There no longer can be a question mark that lingers after shootings."

Adams, who was never involved in a shooting, said the lights on the 5-ounce camera could be turned off if they would expose the officer to danger in a dark area. But the camera and optional audio recorder would remain operating for up to 60 minutes.

He said the images would also help identify suspects who get away. He wants a pilot program that would allow testing by police at shooting ranges. That could lead to a law mandating the gun cameras, he said.

Adams knows many police won't embrace the idea at first.
There was no immediate comment from the police department and police officers union in New York City. Mayor Michael Bloomberg's office said it will review any legislation that comes from Adams' effort.

But in Albany, there is growing support.

Republican Sen. Dale Volker of Erie County, a former police officer who would be critical to passing the Democrat-backed bill, already sought funding for a pilot program. But that $300,000 request to test the technology in state police SWAT squads was cut in the budget this spring as part of efforts to close a deficit of about $5 billion.

"You have to understand, particularly in urban areas today, it is not like the old days when if someone was shot you went before a grand jury," said Volker. Today, he said, an officer would also face intense media and community attention.

"It's a different world," he said. "It's not even a matter of right and wrong a lot of times. It's that people decide very often whatever you did was probably wrong."

In the Democrat-led Assembly, Adams and his colleagues in the influential black, Hispanic and Asian caucus like the idea.
The gun camera is made by Legend Technologies, based in the Adirondack mountains town of Keesville, N.Y.

(© 2008 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistribu

BushmasterFanBoy
05-12-08, 21:08
I'm all for law enforcement accountability, but do these people have any idea just how stupid this is? I think that they need to start drug-testing legislators.

dhrith
05-12-08, 22:48
"Adams said recordings from the $695 cameras couldn't be altered by a police officer and would quell many questions after controversial police shootings, like the deaths in New York City of Amadou Diallo in 1999 and Sean Bell in 2006."

Bad, Bad, f'ing idea. It'll add just as many questions as it answers. It also more significantly won't answer to the totality of why the cops chose to draw and shoot, they'll see a 2 second snippet of info and be judged on that alone.

I'll chalk this one down with micro-stamping until someone can prove to me different.

Lumpy196
05-13-08, 00:32
"We believe the state of New York can lead the country," said Adams, who retired after 21 years as a New York police officer. "There no longer can be a question mark that lingers after shootings."

Is he on crack?

Most of what is captured is going to look like an out-take from the Blair Witch Project.

Show it to 12 different people and you'll get seven different interpretations of what's being seen.

TUNNEL RAT 33
05-13-08, 00:53
it will never happen. new york city is too cheap to spend the money on the cameras and all the new holsters that they would have to buy . if people would stop trying to kill cops by driving over them with their cars they wont get shot . and yes eric adams is an ass .

sff70
05-13-08, 01:29
Such a camera will not show what lead up to the shooting.

Even if the pistol was out of the holster during challenging/searching/etc., those tasks shouldn't be done at the pointed in/on threat position, therefore all the camera will show is the ground, until the pistol is pointed in, at which time the trigger is being pressed.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

chadbag
05-13-08, 03:17
If they really want to do this, stick it on their hat/head or shoulder or something that are always running the whole beat. A VGA type camera recording on to a compact flash card -- writing over the oldest stuff in a rotating fashion -- that runs the whole time the guy is on duty.

I am not advocating this at all but a "gun camera" is just stupid. At least my idea would show a lot more -- kind of like the cameras in the squad cars on a traffic stop.

Chad

Striker5
05-13-08, 06:51
You would think this thing was thought up by some bubbleheaded soccer mom or retarded community activist. Aside from the uselessness of the footage, you will have cops second guessing every move they make and this will get people killed.

Bama-Shooter
05-13-08, 08:05
Invest the money in more training.

Gutshot John
05-13-08, 09:19
But if an honest police officer is only going to use his gun legitimately and obey the law what can he possibly fear from such a "minor" infringement on his "privacy"? :o

Funny how that logic cuts both ways.

markm
05-13-08, 09:21
First let's start with Penis cams for these cock roach legislators.

There'll no longer be a question mark that lingers after a scandal.

TUNNEL RAT 33
05-13-08, 11:27
this guy used to be a nypd cop . founder of 100 blacks in law enforcement - good friend of al sharpton .

johnson601
05-13-08, 11:33
hippies:rolleyes: this makes me sick.

98z28
05-13-08, 11:43
First let's start with Penis cams for these cock roach legislators.

There'll no longer be a question mark that lingers after a scandal.

:eek: :D You owe me a keyboard. This one is now drenched in coffee.

OK, the gun cams are a stupid idea for reasons already mentioned. I have seen cameras in shoulder mics, and that does not seem like as bad an idea. As technology prices come down, we are going to have to deal with the reality that every single thing we do will be recorded and scrutinized.

I can only hope that someone pulls their head out of their ass and spends some of that money on more quality training. Here is the current sales pitch for LE:

"We will pay you barley enough to take care of your family. You will work so much that your spouse will have to run the household singlehandedly. You can forget about going to your kids sports/school/family functions most of the time. You may be seriously injured or killed. We will not train you adequately to deal with these threats to your physical and mental well being. You just have to figure it out. An by the way, we record everything you do. If you screw up, we will hang you out to dry.

Any questions?"

Ya, where do I sign up!

Wow, some of the older guys said I would get jaded after a few years...

K.L. Davis
05-13-08, 12:09
I have seen cameras in shoulder mics...

Great Device! (http://www.ehsequipment.com/vidmic/vidMIC.html)

And yes, markm once again scores the funniest thing of the day.

Gramps
05-13-08, 12:20
All one needs to do is invent/come up with some idea to convince SHEOPLE that it will be for their good. Then you have a captive market for your product.

If I didn't have any morrals, I could come up with some thing like this.

ZGXtreme
05-13-08, 12:22
Great Device! (http://www.ehsequipment.com/vidmic/vidMIC.html)

And yes, markm once again scores the funniest thing of the day.

We tested those in patrol and the Lake Patrol ended up with two here at my department. They hate(d) them. Not because of the camera feature but because the mics are like wearing a brick and you have to wear them straight vertical on the front of the uniform. The mic is just to big and heavy at the moment to be worn on an 8, 10 or 12 hour shift. Plus, the lack of carry options is a draw back.

I wear my mic around my back and over the opposite shoulder so I can loop the cord through my epaulet so if I get in a fight the mic is always within reach when I need to get help started ASAP. If the field of view being recorded on the Vidmic could be rotated according to the officer's preferred carry method it would be a very good improvment. The Vidmic is an interesting development in equipment, there are just to many downsides in my eyes at this point in it's use and development.

K.L. Davis
05-13-08, 13:02
We tested those in patrol and the Lake Patrol ended up with two here at my department. They hate(d) them. Not because of the camera feature but because the mics are like wearing a brick and you have to wear them straight vertical on the front of the uniform. The mic is just to big and heavy at the moment to be worn on an 8, 10 or 12 hour shift. Plus, the lack of carry options is a draw back.

I wear my mic around my back and over the opposite shoulder so I can loop the cord through my epaulet so if I get in a fight the mic is always within reach when I need to get help started ASAP. If the field of view being recorded on the Vidmic could be rotated according to the officer's preferred carry method it would be a very good improvment. The Vidmic is an interesting development in equipment, there are just to many downsides in my eyes at this point in it's use and development.

Roger that... when/if they are ever reduced to say half what they are now, they will be a perfect choice for regular mic replacement -- but even as they are now, they can be a damn handy tool to have available.

cobra90gt
05-14-08, 20:53
...Such a camera will not show what lead up to the shooting...

Agreed.