PDA

View Full Version : First AR-15?

308sc
05-12-08, 20:41
Hi guys,

I'm new here and was looking to get some suggestions for my first AR-15.
I know most of you like LMT, Colt, etc. The things is I'm on a budget. I really can't see myself spending more than $1,050 without some serious persuasion.

The main thing I'm looking for is accuracy :) So please what are your suggestions?

I'm thinking RRA, but I know that brand is looked down upon here. So just let me hear your opinion. I would like a gun that is accurate enough to varmint hunt out to 400+ yards.

Well thanks in advance,

Ryan (308sc)

jh1
05-12-08, 20:51
Hi guys,

I know most of you like LMT, Colt, etc. The things is I'm on a budget. I really can't see myself spending more than $1,050 without some serious persuasion.

The main thing I'm looking for is accuracy :) So please what are your suggestions?

I'm thinking RRA, but I know that brand is looked down upon here. So just let me hear your opinion. I would like a gun that is accurate enough to varmint hunt out to 400+ yards.

Well thanks in advance,

Ryan (308sc)

go with noveske you can't go wrong.

308sc
05-12-08, 21:21
noveske look expensive

where can I find them for under $1,500

jh1
05-12-08, 21:27
noveske look expensive

where can I find them for under $1,500

Go to the noveske site.

308sc
05-12-08, 21:29
i only see 2 under $1,500 are you sure there is nothing comparable, remeber all I want to do is just shoot accurate groups, it doesn't have to be top of the line.

N4LtRecce
05-12-08, 21:57
N4 Light Recce basic is what I'd recommend.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=n4lrb&cat=47&page=1&search=&since=&status=

If that's not what you're looking for, check out G&R tactical.

Just putting this out there: Buy once, cry once.

Parabellum9x19mm
05-12-08, 22:10
for you, i would recommend the following:

Noveske N4 Light Basic

LMT Defender 2000

Charles Daly M4 LE

RRA LAR-15

lots of information on all of them on the forum. good luck, we know there's lots of choices :D

if the LMT is too expensive you can always break it into two parts....get the lower first, get the upper later.

seems like you're already leaning towards RRA tho and i doubt you'd go too far wrong with that choice.....however, it seems to me that the Charles Daly has some things going on in its favor that the RRA doesn't

308sc
05-12-08, 22:14
Thanks for the replies guys,

I read on here that the Smith&Wesson M&P is good.

Also not to change the subject but has anyone got their hands on one of those Remington "R-15" ?....how would those fit into my list of choices...........Charles Daly, I though that brand was generally a "cheap" brand? but you guys like there AR?

Parabellum9x19mm
05-12-08, 22:25
i haven't used the Charles Daly M4 LE, but from everything i've seen, it looks pretty good to me. Stickman has never led me astray before :D

i have personal experience with owning Noveske & LMT, so i guess i have to recommend those more highly. i also use RRA stripped lowers and lower parts kits in a few of my builds and haven't had any bad experiences.

Packman73
05-12-08, 23:11
RRA or Charles Daily.

jh1
05-13-08, 06:32
i only see 2 under $1,500 are you sure there is nothing comparable, remeber all I want to do is just shoot accurate groups, it doesn't have to be top of the line.

Go to the ar tech. forum & check out the sticky (2nd one ) there is a comparison chart of major ar brands.

rob_s
05-13-08, 10:40
If you're looking for something readily available on most dealer's shelves, I'd go with the S&W M&P (non-railed version) over the RRA, BM, DPMS, Olympic, etc.

If you want something a little nicer yet a bit cheaper, the ADS from G&R (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7297) appear to be quite the bargain at $840. I'd opt for the mid-length gas over the M4. You should be able to get one of these to your door (including shipping and transfer fees to your local dealer) for under $950.

The Charles Daly guns are also shaping up to be a nice option but I'm not sure if they're making it out to retail customers as of yet.

Finally, if you're willing to do the most basic of assembly (essentially the reverse of what you'll wind up doing every time you clean it) you can buy an LMT complete lower, upper, handguards, bolt carrier group, and charging handle typically for under $1k total.

308sc
05-13-08, 12:31
thanks for all of the replies.

on average how accurate are the Smith&Wesson M&P?

C4IGrant
05-13-08, 12:42
Hi guys,

Well thanks in advance,

Ryan (308sc)

If you are looking for longer range accuracy, look at a SS barrel. You are most likely a "light user" so just buy anything you want.

C4