PDA

View Full Version : Need Vltor VST-2P gas block info/help

RMC51
12-27-13, 18:33
I have a A2 pinned front sight base that I would like to replace with a Vltor VST-2P gas block (I think). Is there anybody that has installed one of these? and could answer some questions.
http://www.vltor.com/vst.htm
Is the VST-2P a direct fit replacement for the A2 FSB. Can I unpin the A2 from the barrel and install and re-pin the vst-2p and it will be clocked correctly on the gas port?

I called and spoke to Vltor, tried to speak to a Tech Support person, but could not get past the CSR girl, and I don’t think she knew what I was talking about.

Anyone here know anything about these?

Toyoland66
12-27-13, 22:16
Re-pinning will be a challenge, fsb's are drilled and taper reamed on the barrel so each one is a somewhat unique fit. In other words the new base will have to be drilled and reamed to match the notches in your barrel. It isn't impossible but will take a good gunsmith to do it.

If I can ask, why do you want to install this? Maybe there is a better solution.

Iraqgunz
12-28-13, 05:40
It will definitely take some work and there is no guarantee it will be straight. I recommend that you sell the barrel and start over or leave it alone.

GH41
12-28-13, 07:20
Vltor sells a clamp on version of that gas block. GH

RMC51
12-28-13, 08:50
Re-pinning will be a challenge, fsb's are drilled and taper reamed on the barrel so each one is a somewhat unique fit. In other words the new base will have to be drilled and reamed to match the notches in your barrel. It isn't impossible but will take a good gunsmith to do it.

If I can ask, why do you want to install this? Maybe there is a better solution.

I’m trying to get rid of the A2 front sight in the scope. It has a TA31A and the A2 FSB sticks up into the view of the scope. I do not what to put on a clamp or set screw gas block with fold up sight or a different barrel. the pinned sight is much more secure than a clamped or set screw, correct?
Is the sight and the barrel a married set. If something happen to the A2 fsb on this barrel, couldn't I mount another A2 FSB on the barrel?

How are they clocking the sight to the notches in the barrel and the drilled gas hole in the barrel

Iraqgunz
12-28-13, 21:15
As stated before. You cannot replace a damaged FSB. If it gets damaged you will have to replace the barrel assembly. The barrel is a twp piece item. The barrel extension is screwed into place and then the port is drilled. After the port is drilled the FSB and other accompanying parts are put into place.

Your other option is to chop and grind the FSB down to fit under a rail and then install a 12" or similar rail over the gas block and add a flip sight. Of you can simply get used to using the ACOG with an FSB like a majority of the military personnel do who are issued M16A4's with AOCG's. I used one for 6 months and it's not difficult to master.

I’m trying to get rid of the A2 front sight in the scope. It has a TA31A and the A2 FSB sticks up into the view of the scope. I do not what to put on a clamp or set screw gas block with fold up sight or a different barrel. the pinned sight is much more secure than a clamped or set screw, correct?
Is the sight and the barrel a married set. If something happen to the A2 fsb on this barrel, couldn't I mount another A2 FSB on the barrel?

How are they clocking the sight to the notches in the barrel and the drilled gas hole in the barrel