PDA

View Full Version : Geissele Triggers

glock17fan
12-28-13, 11:36
Need some suggestions. I want to put a Geissele trigger in my Patrol/Swat AR. Anyone have any suggestions on which one to use. I have never used there products but have heard great things about them.

fourXfour
12-28-13, 11:43
I really like the SD-C. At first the flat trigger felt off during dry fire, but once I started shooting, it felt great.

You can't go wrong with any of their triggers. I've shot the SSA, 2-Stage, and Super Tricon. They were all impressive.

USMC_Anglico
12-28-13, 12:08
For general all around AR use, I like the SSA-E or SSF, depending on semi or FA. They have a great video where Bill lays out all of their different triggers and the applications for them. I have the NM DMR on my .308 and it is awesome as well.

TehLlama
12-28-13, 12:23
It's a patrol and SWAT use AR. Get the SSA, period. IGNORE anything else, the SSA is the correct one for that application. Yes, the others have a slightly nicer lightweight second stage, I like mine of those as well, but the correct trigger for that application is the SSA, without hesitation that's the one to get. Seriously, only the SSA.

glock17fan
12-28-13, 12:43
Thanks for the suggestions. I just ordered the SSA for my carbine. That should be the ticket.

C4IGrant
12-28-13, 15:25
Need some suggestions. I want to put a Geissele trigger in my Patrol/Swat AR. Anyone have any suggestions on which one to use. I have never used there products but have heard great things about them.

For entry level, the G2S is a great choice. Nearly identical in pull to the SSA. If you have the money, the SD-C is another good choice.

We offer member discounts on them if interested.

C4

Yojimbo
12-28-13, 15:44
For entry level, the G2S is a great choice. Nearly identical in pull to the SSA. If you have the money, the SD-C is another good choice.

We offer member discounts on them if interested.

C4

Grant,

How good is the G2S trigger pull? Is the SSA a lot better or only slightly better than it? Basically, I am wondering if the extra cost of the SSA is justified.

C4IGrant
12-28-13, 15:53
Grant,

How good is the G2S trigger pull? Is the SSA a lot better or only slightly better than it? Basically, I am wondering if the extra cost of the SSA is justified.

Very good. I like it so much that I run it in one of my guns. It is very similar to the SSA.

C4

steve462x0
12-29-13, 08:05
I put the SSA-E in my weapon and love the way it functions.

46and2
12-29-13, 08:27
Currently running an SSA. I like it so far.

WS6
12-29-13, 08:43
I ran SSA's until I switched to their single-action trigger. I like it better, personally. YMMV, but a crisp 4.5# pull is what I prefer.

JaxShooter
12-29-13, 08:47
Just ordered a SSA last night. Looking forward to dropping it in and seeing how crisp it is.

Berserkr556
12-29-13, 09:00
Just ordered a SSA last night. Looking forward to dropping it in and seeing how crisp it is.

The SSA isn't crisp. The SSA is a two stage combat trigger that breaks more like a carrot than a crisp glass rod break. For home defense, police work or combat the SSA is the way to go.

USMC_Anglico
12-29-13, 09:19
They have a great video where Bill lays out all of their different triggers and the applications for them.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypb5HXdDJhc

Abraham
12-29-13, 09:25
I love my SSA-E, but if I were going to use my AR for combat or LEO use, I'd go with the SSA.

The SSA-E is great for very controlled shooting, i.e., bench, but is a bit too light for running and gunning.

ffusaf23
12-29-13, 09:45
Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypb5HXdDJhc

I'm 4 minutes into this half hour video and wondering why in the hell haven't I seen this before. Love the back story on how Geissele triggers came to be. Thanks for the link.

JaxShooter
12-29-13, 11:13
The SSA isn't crisp. The SSA is a two stage combat trigger that breaks more like a carrot than a crisp glass rod break. For home defense, police work or combat the SSA is the way to go.
Gotcha. Well, it's for home defense so I guess I'll be cool. :)

BOOSTjunkie
12-29-13, 12:02
ive used the ssf on deployment in both semi and full and was very impressed with the improvement over stock usgi. the ssa shouldnt be much different. the trigger pull is a substantial improvement over stock triggers.

TacMedic556
12-29-13, 13:20
It's a patrol and SWAT use AR. Get the SSA, period. IGNORE anything else, the SSA is the correct one for that application. Yes, the others have a slightly nicer lightweight second stage, I like mine of those as well, but the correct trigger for that application is the SSA, without hesitation that's the one to get. Seriously, only the SSA.

Exactly what he said, exactly what I run.

Onyx Z
12-29-13, 20:59
I have both a SSA-E and a SD-C. Both great triggers, but the SSA-E is a bit too light for anything but a precision rifle. I love them both in their respective roles. The SD-C is exactly the same as a SSA but utilizes the flat trigger, which is something I didn't think I would care for, but ended up really liking.

ALCOAR
12-29-13, 21:03
Once you go Super Dynamic.....you don't go back imho.

The SD-C is a superior trigger to the SSA by a significant margin in my book.

Onyx Z
12-29-13, 21:26
Once you go Super Dynamic.....you don't go back imho.

The SD-C is a superior trigger to the SSA by a significant margin in my book.

Only due to the flat trigger and the feel it provides? I've never felt a SSA, only the SD-C I have, so I can only compare it to is my SSA-E. Per Geissele, they have identical pull weights.

ALCOAR
12-29-13, 21:36
The weight is indeed the same, however the actual trigger pull feel is quite different when comparing a SD-C and SSA side by side in my experience.

If the OP didn't have a specific requirement per say, and just wanted the best feeling trigger made.....The Hi-Speed, SD-E, and SD-3G triggers are vastly better feeling triggers than the SSA, or SD-C.

I go in phases...for a cpl. months I swear the SD-E is my favorite, than I'll swear the SD-3G's mouse click trigger pull is my favorite. You only live once, why not own every Geissele trigger model made :cool:

cjb
12-29-13, 23:09
I put the SSA-E in my weapon and love the way it functions.

Ditto. Its not quite the creep free break they suggest. But its smooth as the inside of your girlfriends thigh!

Some of the SSA vs SSA-E choice depends on experience and expectations. I found the SSA not so much a heavier trigger pull, but a longer creep before releasing. That can be a real big consideration under duress, so its a personal choice.

TehLlama
12-29-13, 23:38
In all fairness I jumped the shark in exactly one regard- the G2S is functionally similar enough to the GSSA (I'm not of sufficiently refined tastes to tell the difference between my own G2S and my 5 SSA's, while the SSA-E is very distinctly different to me) that it too would get the nod - specifically if you need an entire LPK of solid origin and a trigger (aka get the G&R LPK with the G2S), otherwise I stand by the emphatic nature of my original post.

I really enjoy my SSA-E trigger, that thing is easily the best non-adjustable type trigger that I've used. I don't shoot bench or anything where I'm far enough out of the equation that that particular trigger is 'not enough trigger', it does more than enough to stay out of the way for the rifles I own, but that really light second stage is enough to make me say - if you can't make a shot with an SSA, the trigger is almost certainly not why you missed, so get something more oriented towards being a solid duty trigger. The SD-C is a great trigger in it's own regard because of the flat face (strikes me as conceptually identical to the 10-8 flat triggers on 1911's), but that's a trigger that visually stands out as aftermarket, and from what I've observed once you transition to preferring flat triggers you'll want that across the board.

ALCOAR
12-29-13, 23:47
In all fairness I jumped the shark in exactly one regard- the G2S is functionally similar enough to the GSSA (I'm not of sufficiently refined tastes to tell the difference between my own G2S and my 5 SSA's, while the SSA-E is very distinctly different to me) that it too would get the nod - specifically if you need an entire LPK of solid origin and a trigger (aka get the G&R LPK with the G2S), otherwise I stand by the emphatic nature of my original post.

I really enjoy my SSA-E trigger, that thing is easily the best non-adjustable type trigger that I've used. I don't shoot bench or anything where I'm far enough out of the equation that that particular trigger is 'not enough trigger', it does more than enough to stay out of the way for the rifles I own, but that really light second stage is enough to make me say - if you can't make a shot with an SSA, the trigger is almost certainly not why you missed, so get something more oriented towards being a solid duty trigger. The SD-C is a great trigger in it's own regard because of the flat face (strikes me as conceptually identical to the 10-8 flat triggers on 1911's), but that's a trigger that visually stands out as aftermarket, and from what I've observed once you transition to preferring flat triggers you'll want that across the board.

All very sage advice, as I'm a really big fan of the S2S or no known as the GSSA. When the S2S was briefly offered it was easily the best bang for your buck trigger offered imho....MSRP was like $125.

I find your last bold portion to be very true, and perhaps the one real drawback to running flat triggers....the trigger movements are way more sensitive to my naked touch w/ SD triggers VS. non SD triggers i.e. SSA/SSA-E S2S/GSSA, Hi speed, etc.

I put Geissele triggers in the same category with Sex, and Pizza.........however it's served, it's always damn good:)

bshot
12-30-13, 01:19
This matrix was very helpful to me:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/30/eveqe4en.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/30/a2y3y5am.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/30/y3e2a9yp.jpg

jpmuscle
12-30-13, 03:55
So what's the difference between a candy cane and icicle like break? Seems to be splitting hairs there no? Lol

Sent from my DROID X2

Lincoln7
12-30-13, 04:34
So what's the difference between a candy cane and icicle like break? Seems to be splitting hairs there no? Lol

Sent from my DROID X2
A candy cane has some plastic deformation before it breaks, unlike an icicle which has (nearly) none.

balloo93
12-30-13, 08:05
Just to throw .02 in, the G2S and SSA had the exact same pull weights when compared with a pull gauge. I ran each trigger multiple times to confirm. Both of mine had just about right at 2.5lb first stage and slightly under 2lb on the second.

glock17fan
12-30-13, 08:20
Well I got my SSA trigger Saturday and put it in. I did dry fire drills all weekend with dummy rounds. I really like the feedback that you get from the SSA. This afternoon we have Swat drills and live fire so I will get a real good feel for it. But I can tell you that it will be GTG.

davidjinks
12-30-13, 08:40
Excellent matrix/chart to use. Another excellent resource is Bill Geissele himself.

When I started the trigger changes across the board for my rifles that's who I called, Bill.

All of my rifles (Sans my large pin Colt and MK12) are run with SD-C triggers. I feel I have better manipulation of the trigger, a more positive reset, faster trigger manipulation and a more positive feel of the trigger bow itself.

There was a definite learning curve with these triggers. When I first started running them, I mastered the short stroke. After a couple hundred rounds with them, butta...

My MK12 runs a SSA-E and my large pin Colt runs a SSA. Both are amazing triggers that have no equal.

I think the OP made an excellent choice with the SSA especially for a duty rifle.

This matrix was very helpful to me:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/30/eveqe4en.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/30/a2y3y5am.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/30/y3e2a9yp.jpg

ptmccain
12-30-13, 09:10
OK, sorry for the dumb question, but why is the SSA the best choice for mil/LEO/home defense?

Thanks.

glock17fan
12-30-13, 09:16
The carrot break is what does it for me. When the trigger is ready to break, it seems to require more pressue by your finger to make it break. This seems to let the shooter react under stress before the trigger breaks. This is the best way I can explain the carrot break. I know it works for me.

TehLlama
12-30-13, 11:30
You want the full powered hammer spring, full weight hammer, with the maximum engagement surface possible - the SSA is exactly that, and partly why the break isn't some mythical breaking a glass nanofiber for crispness, but it's still a massive improvement over the GI trigger. Unless you're shooting prone supported with at least a 1MOA rifle on bags the SSA is more than enough trigger in my experience.

kirito
01-05-14, 03:34
Agreed. if it is LEO use, your best friend will be the SSA. If competition shooting SSA-E. if your weapon is semi-auto. if full-auto i recommend SSF

kirito
01-05-14, 03:39
OK, sorry for the dumb question, but why is the SSA the best choice for mil/LEO/home defense?

Thanks.

different trigger pull type and weight.

HD1911
01-05-14, 07:17
I've only used the SSA and SSA-E....love both. They're almost identical, except about a Pound of difference, with the SSA being 4.5, and the E being 3.5

I have been itching to try the Super Dynamic triggers, just to see...what if? :D

Caeser25
01-05-14, 09:57
I've only used the SSA and SSA-E....love both. They're almost identical, except about a Pound of difference, with the SSA being 4.5, and the E being 3.5

I have been itching to try the Super Dynamic triggers, just to see...what if? :D

Once you get one, you'll want a flat trigger in every weapon you own.

BGREID
01-05-14, 10:21
I have the SD3gun in 2 of my rifles, it has such a short reset that people think I am shooting full auto. I am told it is to good for duty use though.

HD1911
01-05-14, 10:46

That's what I'm afraid of!!!!

I have the SD3gun in 2 of my rifles, it has such a short reset that people think I am shooting full auto. I am told it is to good for duty use though.

No kiddin'? You can really run one that fast eh?

Shao
01-05-14, 11:08

I agree with this statement. Since discovering the SD-3G, I have to put one in any serious rifle that I own. The exception being a precision setup, in which I'm using an SSA-E. The SD-3G and its flat bow certainly have their place, but not for me when it comes to longer range precision. I like making bullet hoses better though. :D

I estimate that I can run mine about 500-550 rpm with slightly faster bursts (depending on the day). I'm sure with more practice and desire to waste precious ammo I can get that number higher.

kirito
01-05-14, 12:14
I agree with this statement. Since discovering the SD-3G, I have to put one in any serious rifle that I own. The exception being a precision setup, in which I'm using an SSA-E. The SD-3G and its flat bow certainly have their place, but not for me when it comes to longer range precision. I like making bullet hoses better though. :D

I estimate that I can run mine about 500-550 rpm with slightly faster bursts (depending on the day). I'm sure with more practice and desire to waste precious ammo I can get that number higher.

Shao after testing both the sd-3g and ssa-e, you prefer the sd-3g for just general shooting?

superstratjunky
01-05-14, 16:28
I had a chance this past spring to pull a SD trigger. It felt like butter. It wasn't quite a carrot, but a slightly cooked carrot. The take up was predictable & manageable. I want one vary badly.

BufordTJustice
01-05-14, 17:23
SD-C all the way.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Bluedreaux
01-05-14, 17:36
I ran SSA's until I switched to their single-action trigger. I like it better, personally. YMMV, but a crisp 4.5# pull is what I prefer.

What single stage trigger do they have?

BGREID
01-05-14, 18:14
That's what I'm afraid of!!!!

It's not as fast as full auto but plenty fast. The short reset is similar to a good 1911 trigger. Pull the trigger relax trigger finger and pull again, with a little practice you can get it in the 500 rpm range.

WS6
01-05-14, 22:22
What single stage trigger do they have?

SUPER-V

Bluedreaux
01-05-14, 22:43
SUPER-V

I read that was just the 3G trigger with a heavier pull weight. Is that not accurate?