PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg AR???

ralph
12-28-13, 11:49
Just how bad are these? I've tried a search and come up with nothing, along with going back over 50 pages on this board hoping to find a thread about them. A little back round here, a friend of mine called several weeks ago and was in the market for a AR, his primary use was for coyote hunting, home defense, He hunts the 'yotes with dogs and had been using a shotgun,(close in shots in the woods) I guess the coyotes have changed tactics on him, and have been slipping out of the woods into wide open pastures, ditching both him, and the dogs. So, he's decided he needs something with some range, and easy to carry. I talked to him on the phone for over an hour, and explained the differences between "good" AR's and "bad" ones, and he was ready to buy a Colt Socom (sp?) from Grant.. He called me back about a week or so later, saying he was going to borrow a AR from a guy he knew to test drive the concept.. Good idea, I couldn't agree more. I guess it worked very well... But, I find out that he bought a Mossberg AR,(I got a little sick to my stomach at that point) Looking at their site I'm figuring it's the one with sights, rail, 1/9 twist barrel, and that goofy Stark grip.. I'm not impressed.. So, as I said, just how bad are these? I'm not getting the warm and fuzzies from Mossberg's site, when I looked...Hopefully, it'll be good enough for what he's using it for...

Swag
12-28-13, 12:16
You're not farting in the same foxhole with the guy so shouldn't make a diff.

F-Trooper05
12-28-13, 12:25
Looks like Colt better watch their back. Mossberg coming in hot.

ralph
12-28-13, 12:28
You're not farting in the same foxhole with the guy so shouldn't make a diff.

Thanks..But unless you have something to contribute, I'd rather you kept your opinions to yourself...The guy is a friend of mine, and I hate to see him stuck with a POS, when for a few bucks more he could buy something decent. What I'm wanting to know is just how bad/good/ these actually are. Hopefully, from someone who actually took a good look at one. and I can't seem to find any info on them either way..

ralph
12-28-13, 12:31
Looks like Colt better watch their back. Mossberg coming in hot.

I think we all know better than that...:p

pingdork
12-28-13, 12:44
Thanks..But unless you have something to contribute, I'd rather you kept your opinions to yourself...The guy is a friend of mine, and I hate to see him stuck with a POS, when for a few bucks more he could buy something decent. What I'm wanting to know is just how bad/good/ these actually are. Hopefully, from someone who actually took a good look at one. and I can't seem to find any info on them either way..

neither you, nor your friend's lives are on the line, so no big deal. Even a lowly mossberg AR can kill a yote. You don't want your "friend" to get stuck with a POS, but it sounds like he already is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Swag
12-28-13, 12:47
^thanks. Lol

ETA: It was just an attempt at a little humor. No offense meant.

NWcityguy2
12-28-13, 12:59
Hopefully the coyotes aren't M4C members, then they would know not to die. Seriously though, if he enjoys shooting then shoot with him.

(I got a little sick to my stomach at that point)

way too much time on the internet...

_Stormin_
12-28-13, 13:01
Ya know, it looks like he's going to be better off with a decent trigger but it should be functional for his intended purposes. If it's strictly for coyote hunting, it's accuracy should be the most paramount concern.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/08/foghorn/gun-review-mossberg-mmr-tactical/

Nothing shocking for the market that they're pricing the gun towards. If he hasn't shot something with a better trigger I would get him some time with one so that he swaps the Mossy's out for a little better an option, but it may not make a whole lot of difference to him.

JW1069
12-28-13, 14:19
Are you talking about the MVP series?

Lot of interest in these in NY now with the new laws that go into effect in April. Has anyone here put enough rounds through one to form an opinion?

ralph
12-28-13, 18:14
^thanks. Lol

ETA: It was just an attempt at a little humor. No offense meant.

Sorry Swag, no offense taken here, either...... It's often hard on the internet to discern humor from sarcasm, and I sometimes have trouble telling the two apart..

ralph
12-28-13, 18:16
neither you, nor your friend's lives are on the line, so no big deal. Even a lowly mossberg AR can kill a yote. You don't want your "friend" to get stuck with a POS, but it sounds like he already is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

I couldn't agree more, I'm just trying to figure out how big a POS he bought.. and are there any known issues that need attention.

ralph
12-28-13, 18:18
Are you talking about the MVP series?

Lot of interest in these in NY now with the new laws that go into effect in April. Has anyone here put enough rounds through one to form an opinion?

No, It's Mossberg's AR..

ralph
12-28-13, 18:28
Ya know, it looks like he's going to be better off with a decent trigger but it should be functional for his intended purposes. If it's strictly for coyote hunting, it's accuracy should be the most paramount concern.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/08/foghorn/gun-review-mossberg-mmr-tactical/

Nothing shocking for the market that they're pricing the gun towards. If he hasn't shot something with a better trigger I would get him some time with one so that he swaps the Mossy's out for a little better an option, but it may not make a whole lot of difference to him.

I agree, accuracy is a unknown, And with a 1/9 twist,(according to their website) He's pretty much restricting himself to the lighter pills. As far as the trigger goes, I've got a Geissele SD-C, in my DD, which I had Grant build for me when DD first brought out hammer forged pencil barrels, I don't think you can get much better than a Geissele trigger.. They're worth every penny. Maybe later on this spring I'll see if I can hook up with him, and take a stab at the 'yotes. I figure if I let him shoot my rifle for awhile, It'll get him thinking...

JoePike
12-28-13, 18:53
I've killed somewhere just shy of a million dogs with my old pencil barrel Mini-14 out to 250. He will be fine. I'd bet that his Mossberg will be much more accurate than is required.

ralph
12-28-13, 18:56
Hopefully the coyotes aren't M4C members, then they would know not to die. Seriously though, if he enjoys shooting then shoot with him.

way too much time on the internet...

I'd like to, but he lives about a hour and half south of me, Maybe this spring I'll go out with him. Next week for example, it's supposed to get cold again, probably be 10-15 degrees at night..Frankly, I can't get too excited about running around in the woods at night when it's that cold.. As far as the getting sick to my stomach comment..Well, I know what some of these shops around here charge(rape) people for, and while I'm not sure what he paid, I'm thinking he could've went to G&R, and got into a bare bones Colt 6920, and probably would've had money left over, and a way better rifle. That's one of the reasons I talked to him on the phone for over a hour, to try to educate him, at least a little...Looks like I failed at that as well.

_Stormin_
12-28-13, 18:59
"Just shy" being a relative term. I'm "just shy" of being a billionaire...

Sent using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

VLODPG
12-28-13, 19:05
I'd like to, but he lives about a hour and half south of me, Maybe this spring I'll go out with him. Next week for example, it's supposed to get cold again, probably be 10-15 degrees at night..Frankly, I can't get too excited about running around in the woods at night when it's that cold.. As far as the getting sick to my stomach comment..Well, I know what some of these shops around here charge(rape) people for, and while I'm not sure what he paid, I'm thinking he could've went to G&R, and got into a bare bones Colt 6920, and probably would've had money left over, and a way better rifle. That's one of the reasons I talked to him on the phone for over a hour, to try to educate him, at least a little...Looks like I failed at that as well.

Fail nothing. Some people you just can't reach!

ralph
12-28-13, 19:37
Fail nothing. Some people you just can't reach!

It's all good though, At least we got another into the AR fold, I'll admit I'm kinda disappointed he went with a Mossberg, But I figure he'll shoot it a lot, learn on it, and hopefully next time, he'll get something better... I myself started out with a couple of Bushmasters..(back when the rule of thumb for AR's was ABC..Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, and No M4C to explain the difference..) I sold one of the Bushmasters, the other, I had rebarreled with a Douglas SS bbl, and I installed a Jewel trigger, and a Burris scope.. I used it for a quasi target rifle/varmit rig, it was very accurate.I drifted away from that kind of shooting and more towards the defensive type shooting, and it sat in the safe for several years.. A couple of years ago, I traded it to a friend who was wanting something like that, for a mint 70 series Colt Govt model... it still has the collet barrel bushing in it. I won't part with the Colt.

Wolfhound86
12-28-13, 23:15
He will remember your advice when he's selling it to buy a BCM or Colt so not a failure. I just talked a guy at work out of buying a Diamondback Walmart special for his first. He went BCM.

MegademiC
12-28-13, 23:48
Remember the good ol' days when friends respected each others' opinions on stuff?

Hopefully it's a decent rifle that he can get some good use out of. I'm actually curious about them but haven't seen any input on here, but not surprising.

awpk03s
12-29-13, 07:25
Best advised to check and verify the chamber is true 5.56NATO before firing any such ammunition in it.

I bought a Mossberg barrel marked 5.56mm, but the chamber leade was .223Rem. Blew out a case and bent my extractor.

Trust but verify.

ralph
12-29-13, 09:22
Best advised to check and verify the chamber is true 5.56NATO before firing any such ammunition in it.

I bought a Mossberg barrel marked 5.56mm, but the chamber leade was .223Rem. Blew out a case and bent my extractor.

Trust but verify.

Thanks.. that's a valuable piece of information...That's what I'm looking for..

C4IGrant
12-29-13, 09:39
Just how bad are these? I've tried a search and come up with nothing, along with going back over 50 pages on this board hoping to find a thread about them. A little back round here, a friend of mine called several weeks ago and was in the market for a AR, his primary use was for coyote hunting, home defense, He hunts the 'yotes with dogs and had been using a shotgun,(close in shots in the woods) I guess the coyotes have changed tactics on him, and have been slipping out of the woods into wide open pastures, ditching both him, and the dogs. So, he's decided he needs something with some range, and easy to carry. I talked to him on the phone for over an hour, and explained the differences between "good" AR's and "bad" ones, and he was ready to buy a Colt Socom (sp?) from Grant.. He called me back about a week or so later, saying he was going to borrow a AR from a guy he knew to test drive the concept.. Good idea, I couldn't agree more. I guess it worked very well... But, I find out that he bought a Mossberg AR,(I got a little sick to my stomach at that point) Looking at their site I'm figuring it's the one with sights, rail, 1/9 twist barrel, and that goofy Stark grip.. I'm not impressed.. So, as I said, just how bad are these? I'm not getting the warm and fuzzies from Mossberg's site, when I looked...Hopefully, it'll be good enough for what he's using it for...

I spent a lot of time talking with this guy. He really didn't know anything about AR's and was basing opinion of of "looks." When you come into contact with these people, it is a waste of time to try and educate them.

This is fine though as he will most likely shoot 10rds a year out of his AR and will probably love it.

C4

coastwatcher42
12-29-13, 14:15
A couple of years ago, I traded it to a friend who was wanting something like that, for a mint 70 series Colt Govt model... it still has the collet barrel bushing in it. I won't part with the Colt.

Let's see...you are upset because a friend bought a Mossberg AR and you are afraid that it might be substandard yet you trade another friend a Bushmaster for a Colt Government Model.

ralph
12-29-13, 15:13
Let's see...you are upset because a friend bought a Mossberg AR and you are afraid that it might be substandard yet you trade another friend a Bushmaster for a Colt Government Model.

I'm not really upset, disappointed? yes. As far as the trade went, reread my post, about all that was left that was "bushmaster" on the rifle, was the BCG, stock, upper and lower receiver. The scope was also included, (Burris 6.5x20x50 with a mildot recticle) It wasn't exactly stock. It would print 10rnd 3/4" groups at 100yds all day long with ease. I didn't twist his arm either, at any point he had the option to walk, besides that, it was HIS idea to trade in the first place. He's happy with the rifle, it does what he wants, and he knows what it is, and isn't. So, exactly what did I do wrong?

coastwatcher42
12-29-13, 15:26
So, exactly what did I do wrong?

I didn't mean to imply that you did anything wrong. On the face of it, it just appeared to be contradictory.

ralph
12-29-13, 15:56
I didn't mean to imply that you did anything wrong. On the face of it, it just appeared to be contradictory.

Well, that's just it..I didn't really get into all the details of the rifle I traded, But believe me, it was very accurate. And for it's intended role (target/varmit shooting) it'll work well. At the time, I just looked at it as the total sum of it's parts, which I figured was pretty close to what the Colt was worth. Later on after we traded, He showed me some targets he had shot at 100yds with it, after he took a little more time developing some loads for it .He managed to cut the groups down to about 5/8". One had a hole far to the right.. when I asked about that, He told me that was a wasp that was on the target, He splatted it..

Heavy Metal
12-29-13, 16:49
I don't know about their production rifles but I do recall reading some people who bought their melonited barrels had problems with rough, unfixable chambers.

Meloniting a rough chamber is like cryo-freezing a turd, it is there forever.

mastiffhound
12-30-13, 03:08
Mossberg makes shotguns, period. I own a 590 and I like it well enough but I would never consider anything else they make. I've seen a ton of used Mossbergs at LGSs, rattletrap dog turds all of them. 464s that won't cycle or lock closed, MVPs with broken parts (the lip that they added to strip rounds from the AR mags had broken when cycled too forcefully), their Night Train bolt gun with the worst scopes to ever grace a bolt gun and a bolt that when closed had enough play to make me worried for someone else's safety, 1 MMR with a stuck bolt (probably from a 5.56 being fired through a .223 chamber) and 2 more with loose barrel nuts that shot about 6 moa. These were all used and could have been abused, though it's not likely. I've seen this at every LGS in my area. I've seen plenty of Winchester and Marlin lever guns, Savages 10 and 110s, Remington 700s, Colts, S&Ws, Rugers, and even BM's that though used (some well used!) were better finished, still safe, functional, and in way better shape.

It's sad really, even their new on the shelf offerings are poorly assembled, finished, and just not very well thought out. Have you seen their takti-cool'd lever action? I died a little inside when I had first seen it. I can guess why your friend bought one, they go for cheaper around here than a S&W Sport, BM, and DPMS AR's. If you can beat DPMS's price point you must be building firearms out of leftover car parts from the local scrapyard. They are on the same level as ATI and Vulcan. Hell, I'm surprised Freedom Group doesn't own them. They make decent shotguns and substandard everything else.

If your friend doesn't trust your experience and opinion then why did he ask for it? My ex-wife did this all the time and it was maddening. I've had a few friends learn the hard way with DPMS, I learned the hard way with BM in my pre-internet days. Just be prepared, If something goes wrong he'll be calling you. Good luck, I hope it works out for him.

PaLEOjd
12-30-13, 13:17
So how is your "friend" making out with his Mossberg AR? Have you had any issues with it?