PDA

View Full Version : Today I learned my lesson... .223 sizing...

Chmerritt
12-28-13, 19:32
I just ran my first batch of .223 on my dillon 650, and found out I didn't size them properly. I loaded around 200 rounds with improper head spacing. Needless to say I learned my lesson. I know I need to pull all of the bullets to resize. But should I also deprime all of the cases as well before resizing again? Just asking because I obviously need to lube for sizing and clean all of the cases after. I was planning on cleaning off the lube in a dry media tumbler. I'm kinda leaning towards de-priming and starting over with new primers but wanted to get some expert opinions first.

Thanks!

rjacobs
12-28-13, 21:33
lube, in theory, depending on the type, wont mess with the primers at all. Use an alcohol/lanolin lube like Dillon. For only 200 cases you could just wipe them off or load em up then tumble the complete round in your vibratory.

Tzed250
12-28-13, 21:40
I made the same mistake, only I caught it before I charged the cases. I now check the first few rounds off of the press with my L.E. Wilson case gage.

SWThomas
12-29-13, 11:23
Pull em and resize without the decapping pin and expander ball installed.

Onyx Z
12-29-13, 20:31
You can resize without a problem with the primers in. Just remove the decapping pin and reinstall the expander ball to retain consistent neck tension. I don't even use a decapping pin since I decap before anything else. I wouldn't tumble the primers though. You want to keep those clean and dry. Try using a q-tip with alcohol to clean the inside of the necks.

Getcha some of these for checking headspace:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/479704/hornady-lock-n-load-headspace-gage-5-bushing-set-with-comparator

Bump the shoulder back .003" and you will be set. My Wilson case gauges are collecting dust now that I have these since these are more precise.

kwg020
01-01-14, 16:13
I just ran my first batch of .223 on my dillon 650, and found out I didn't size them properly. I loaded around 200 rounds with improper head spacing. Needless to say I learned my lesson. I know I need to pull all of the bullets to resize. But should I also deprime all of the cases as well before resizing again? Just asking because I obviously need to lube for sizing and clean all of the cases after. I was planning on cleaning off the lube in a dry media tumbler. I'm kinda leaning towards de-priming and starting over with new primers but wanted to get some expert opinions first.

Thanks!

Before you do all that work, try running your rounds through a trim and resizing die. http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/redding-form-trim-dies-series-a-cartridges-prod34753.aspx

It will not squeeze the brass like a FL resizer but if you have a bulge or just need a small adjustment, this will do it. You will probably need some lube. I use Hornaday Unique case lube. Be careful not to punch a primer but I use on as needed basis in case I bend a shoulder loading a bullet into a case or I failed to get a case resized correctly. kwg

Ripdog33
01-01-14, 18:26
I have done this with 70 rounds of .223. It would chamber but hard to extract. I shot all without a hick up.

Chmerritt
01-02-14, 07:36
Thanks for all the input guys, I ended up pulling all the bullets, lubing, resizing, and loading the cases still while lubed. Then cleaned them with just a little break cleaner.

shootist~
01-05-14, 12:20
Describe the headspacing problem with these first loads.
And if the brass is range brass or all fired through your rifle.

If all previously fired from your rifle, they may be OK (enough) to chamber and shoot just fine - so long as the necks were sized.

SteveS
01-06-14, 14:23
Pull the primer pin and ball from the sizing die and resize them as the are. No need to take them down. Yep I like the case gauge once I tried one I think they are almost a necessity.

markm
01-07-14, 14:32
Are you running a case guage? I think most of us have done this at least once. The case guage is the sure fire way to know if you're making chamber friendly ammo.

You could get a body die and size them loaded. I've done this on an individual basis when I've had a goofed up bolt gun round that wouldn't chamber.