PDA

View Full Version : Patrol rifle optic question

KrampusArms
12-28-13, 21:04
I'm currently searching for a new optic. I'm kind of set at a budget of no more than $1500 for the optic, not including the mount.

This will be going on my primary carbine. I'm looking for 0-400 yard capability, for training, as well as patrol use in woodland and urban areas.

The reason I'm switching away from Aimpoint is due to my astigmatism that causes the dot to bloom.

Given that I'm often in low-light conditions, the option of an illuminated reticle is of interest to me. I'm also curious if it is possible to use a light in conjunction with a variable 1-4 optic - if it is dark, and I turn on the light, will the reticle be visible with or without the illumination turned on?

There are several different options that I'm considering, and would like some input on from those with more experience than myself with optics.

- Nightforce NXS 1-4 with FC2 reticle. (Is the zerostop option valuable for me given the role of the carbine?)

- Trijicon TR24 1-4 with the German #4 reticle. I've used a Trijicon TR-series scope with the "triangle" reticle, and I didn't care for it at all, hence why I thought the #4 reticle might be better.

- Trijicon ACOG. Not a fan of the tritium/fiber optic illumination or a fixed 3 or 4 power optic, or the "busyness" of the reticles I am used to seeing in the ACOG.

- US Optics SR6 1.5-6. No experience with US Optics, other than I know they come highly recommended and this model is within my price range.

- Aimpoint with 3x magnifier. I've never had the chance to put a magnifier behind an Aimpoint, and I'm not sure if this would eliminate the blooming issue or not.

If I could I would simply buy a Z6i or a Shortdot, but that isn't happening, so I need to figure out the best compromise...

Any help is appreciated.

VooDoo6Actual
12-28-13, 22:22
I would add to your que a Vortex Razor HD 1x6. Excellent price point vs. performance. Ebay has one there now New for $1259.00. They have a 1x4 for about $1199.99. Has a good eye box, resolution, brightness, some like the JM-1 ret some don't. I can work w/ it.
I'd give it some serious consideration. I'd take the 1x6 any day, every day.

1x6
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vortex-RZR-16003-Razor-HD-Gen-II-1-6x24-Rifle-Scope-JM-1-BDC-Reticle-/131078359124?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e84e10854

1x4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vortex-Razor-HD-1-4x24-EBR-556-MOA-Reticle-Riflescope-RZR124-E-/350960285215?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b6dcf61f

as always YMMV...

cop1211
12-28-13, 23:14
The vortex 1-6 is very nice, but very heavy. Take a look at the leupold VXR patrol 1-4 and the Leupold 1-6, leupold offers a pretty decent LEO price.

gun71530
12-28-13, 23:47
The vortex 1-6 is very nice, but very heavy. Take a look at the leupold VXR patrol 1-4 and the Leupold 1-6, leupold offers a pretty decent LEO price.

Agreed, definitely give the Leupold VXR or VX6, a hard look. They're outstanding optics for the price.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

PD Sgt.
12-29-13, 17:37
I do not have any experience with the TR24, but given the options you gave, I would favor the Nightforce. I used one on a 16" Colt for a while until I picked up a Short Dot. It had a very easy to pick up reticle, and even though it is not really daylight visible, you really do not lose the dot unless you are shooting into a really dark area, and then you can turn on the illumination. With the illumination on, if you are looking into a bright area, you still have the black of the reticle, the illumination just fades as it is overpowered.

I did not have the ZS, as for my use (around 300m and in) it was quicker to use holds than dialing in.

I preferred it over the ACOG for the ability to dial down the magnification.

I have never cared for the AP magnifiers, but that is just my opinion. For me the weight and balance of them did not work in relation to the limited 3x benefit.

Of the other options mentioned, I have no experience with the Vortex, but I have heard good things about them at the pricepoint. I have used a couple of Leupolds a few times, but overall the NF would still be my choice.

If you can find a Short Dot used for a good price, I would consider that as well. They are a bit heavy, but for me the quality and daylight bright dot make it worth it.

KrampusArms
12-29-13, 18:50
I'll consider just waiting another year or so (running irons in the mean time) until I can afford a Short Dot.

I really don't know the first thing about magnified optics, so a having some difficulty understand the benefits (real or percieved) of the first focal plane or second focal plane reticles, and more directly, whether the Short Dot is a first focal plane or second focal plane. If I'm understanding what I'm reading correctly, only the early models were sold with the first focal plane reticle?

I'm reading an old thread from here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?5872-S-amp-B-Short-Dot-Models-Explained) and I'm gathering that you want a newer 1-4 that is marketed as the "Zenith" short dot? Also, which reticle would be preferred in a short dot? I would naturally gravitate towards the cleanest and least "busy" reticle they offer, unless there's a quantifiable reason why not to do that.

cop1211
12-29-13, 19:27
I had a short dot as well as the Vortex 1-6, I'd take the Vortex 1-6 over the short.
Both about the same weight, the Vortex has more magnification, both daytime bright dot. The glass and field of very are very close. The Vortex is less expensive

ra2bach
12-30-13, 13:56
also look at SWFA SS 1-6x24. somewhat heavy but built very sturdy with excellent glass and a unique FFP reticle...

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-1-6x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P53845.aspx

Bluedreaux
12-30-13, 18:16
I've got a Leupold VX6 1-6 with the Firedot reticle and have compared it to the Vortex 1-6. The Leupold appeared clearer from edge to edge and certainly had a crisper image. It's a few hundred cheaper as well. The Firedot is daylight bright.

GH41
12-30-13, 18:29
At my age I too am having problems with dots. It looks like the only VX-R 1.25x4 option to get the SPR ret is the Patrol. Am I correct? GH

ScottsBad
12-30-13, 18:39
I like the TR24R, but you didn't care for the reticle so that's out I guess. I have not used the TR24 with the Mildot, frankly I don't like green dots they get lost in the back ground for me. I have a SWFA 1-4 which has amazing glass and a very cool FFP reticle, but I have been concerned about the build quality of the electronics, not the optics. I've heard good things about the SWFA 1-6, but for a patrol rifle I would not necessarily go with the SWFA.

I've been pretty happy with my NF NXS 2.5-10, but the illumination is really not daylight bright and I understand the NF 1-4X is similar. It also looks like the FC2 reticle is a bit small for quick close shots if you are thinking of RDS type pointing speed.

The Vortex 1-6 looks good except the reticle is set up more for 3Gun than anything else, and it is heavy as heck.

Some folks really like the VX-6, but I have no experience with it and might be more inclined to the Mk6 1-6, but then weight raises its ugly head again.

I don't like magnifiers, they are heavy clunky, and have poor eye relief. If you didn't like the RDS alone you won't like the RDS with a magnifier. I've tried the EOTech combo and the Aimpoint combo and spent a lot of money each time only to be disappointed. The Trijicon TR24R is way better than a RDS/Magnifier combo.

Final thought, I do not like exposed turrets for rifles that I carry a lot. They can get bumped and alter zero.