PDA

View Full Version : Silva Anderson Snaps His Leg

CLHC
12-29-13, 00:34
Anyone seen this?

[YouTube Video Deleted]

NWPilgrim
12-29-13, 01:21
That looks painful. Kind of goes to mush on the shin bone.

ClearedHot
12-29-13, 01:51
I think Anderson Silva's career is over now. Just can't see him coming back and being competitive after an injury like this, especially at his age.

_Stormin_
12-29-13, 02:26
It was terrible to watch. I pretty much couldn't look away from the TV. Such a terrible injury. Career has got to be done now. His leg looked like jello at the fracture point.

jpmuscle
12-29-13, 02:38
Was he skipping leg day or something?

Dang that looks absolutely miserable though. Kinda like when the guy from the pirates a number of years ago rolled his ankle running to first base, only it became semi-detached.

Sent from my DROID X2

VooDoo6Actual
12-29-13, 05:20
Shin meets knee, ouch !
Silva came in on a lead leg round kick, Reid checked it correctly & had the stronger structure pure physics & kinetic ballistic impact result.
Most likely Tibia will be enhanced / augmented w/ a Ti rod / stud.

That'll buff right out, should be GTG !

ptmccain
12-29-13, 06:39
Wow.....that was pretty awful.

ForTehNguyen
12-29-13, 07:31
Was he skipping leg day or something?

Dang that looks absolutely miserable though. Kinda like when the guy from the pirates a number of years ago rolled his ankle running to first base, only it became semi-detached.

Sent from my DROID X2

hes always looked like that. He kicked Weidman on the knee so that part of the body doesnt exactly give when hit. Silva will probably retire after this but Weidman was putting the hurt on him on round 1 pretty bad

R0CKETMAN
12-29-13, 07:38
Silva will come back

FlyingHunter
12-29-13, 08:14
Link to video above no longer working - copyright blocked.

Found this link working:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ufc-20131229,0,7356884.story#axzz2osAV1ewE

This is a recoverable injury should he desire to continue competing.

PatrioticDisorder
12-29-13, 09:46
I've been waiting for someone to humble this bully. Every guy Silva fights he has a big size advantage, then he fights a guy his own size and gets knocked the **** out after taunting him... Then in the rematch his leg breaks while meeting his opponents leg after being dominated the first round coming close to being knocked out, I enjoyed every second last night.

Good for Chris Wiedman, I was digging his entry music, flag and tattoo. I was also happy to see the US DOMINATE the Brazilians last night!

Belmont31R
12-29-13, 10:57
I've been waiting for someone to humble this bully. Every guy Silva fights he has a big size advantage, then he fights a guy his own size and gets knocked the **** out after taunting him... Then in the rematch his leg breaks while meeting his opponents leg after being dominated the first round coming close to being knocked out, I enjoyed every second last night.

Good for Chris Wiedman, I was digging his entry music, flag and tattoo. I was also happy to see the US DOMINATE the Brazilians last night!

Isn't Chael bigger than Silva?

PatrioticDisorder
12-29-13, 11:07
Isn't Chael bigger than Silva?

Smaller

Belmont31R
12-29-13, 11:11
Smaller

He's an inch shorter but heavier than Silva.

PatrioticDisorder
12-29-13, 11:21
He's an inch shorter but heavier than Silva.

Closer to 2 inches shorter with a decreased wingspan. "Weight" which fluctuates dramatically with fighters matters little, frame is what matters. It would be like saying George Zimmerman was bigger than Trayvon Martin because of weight, when in reality it was a 6'1" in shape guy against a 5'8" slug. Wiedman was the same height and had the same reach as Silva and he Silva couldn't compete.

Campbell
12-29-13, 12:03
Closer to 2 inches shorter with a decreased wingspan. "Weight" which fluctuates dramatically with fighters matters little, frame is what matters. It would be like saying George Zimmerman was bigger than Trayvon Martin because of weight, when in reality it was a 6'1" in shape guy against a 5'8" slug. Wiedman was the same height and had the same reach as Silva and he Silva couldn't compete.

Weight is a big part of overall size....athletes at this level, seems quite different than Zimmerman fiasco. Sonnen was the bigger/stronger fighter both fights, imo.

kwelz
12-29-13, 12:19
Was watching it with friends. Saw the kick and heard the snap but I thought he had just landed a good hit on the inner thigh and that was the slapping noise. When I saw him put his leg down and it rolled then I knew what had happened. I don't even think he knew what happened till he put weight on it.

I don't foresee a comeback for Silva. Given his age and the severity of this injury I think he is pretty much done. Oh he may fight again but never to the level he did.

Frankly I don't like Silva. He is cocky and his showboating cost him his last fight against Weidman. That being said I feel bad for him. While Weidman had the better of him in this fight, it still sucks to go out this way.

Koshinn
12-29-13, 12:22
Someone I know in Vegas just posted that Silva was very nice and courteous a day or so ago. Probably stage vs real personality.

kwelz
12-29-13, 12:29
Someone I know in Vegas just posted that Silva was very nice and courteous a day or so ago. Probably stage vs real personality.

This would not surprise me. Hell his personality in the fight last night was much different than we normally saw from him. I just don't like the showboating. And I don't like the Professional Wrestler attitude that some fighters have. Nick Diaz anyone? I feel it diminishes the sport as a whole. But then again maybe I am just an idealist. :)

Belmont31R
12-29-13, 12:35
This would not surprise me. Hell his personality in the fight last night was much different than we normally saw from him. I just don't like the showboating. And I don't like the Professional Wrestler attitude that some fighters have. Nick Diaz anyone? I feel it diminishes the sport as a whole. But then again maybe I am just an idealist. :)

That's his act when fighting to throw off his opponents. Ive heard nothing but good things about him out of the ring. His style turns people off but he's overall the best fighter in UFC history. Nick Diaz is just an asshole all the time.

QuickStrike
12-29-13, 16:05

Spoken like a true hater.

Silva is lanky and has less lean mass than most of his opponents. His audacity in his fights is awesome and I found Dana White's anger amusing as hell. That guy is a d-bag.

Who else uses heel leg kicks and even leg punches? Lol

Non-haters,

The Vids arent working on my phone. Did he not turn his hips over and connected more with the flat part of his shins vs. the edge?

Weird how I never see this injury with thais...

CLHC
12-29-13, 16:13
This vid-clip works for now that is:

http://youtu.be/PNxhEH_5pGk

PatrioticDisorder
12-29-13, 16:22
Spoken like a true hater.

Silva is lanky and has less lean mass than most of his opponents. His audacity in his fights is awesome and I found Dana White's anger amusing as hell. That guy is a d-bag.

Who else uses heel leg kicks and even leg punches? Lol

Non-haters,

The Vids arent working on my phone. Did he not turn his hips over and connected more with the flat part of his shins vs. the edge?

Weird how I never see this injury with thais...

Right, the guy I was pulling for fed Silva humble pie twice and a row but I'm a hater. I like Wiedman because he whooped the bully who beat up on smaller guys and even though I like the guy he's now going to be the bully of the division based upon his frame. I'd like to see Wiedman move up to be honest. I like Jon Jones as well but both men (Jones & Silva) have an unfair advantage and because of that I'd like to see a rule change. Muscle mass means little and overall weight means even less, but when a fighter has a significant advantage in their frame it's difficult to overcome that, it is what it is.

Belmont31R
12-29-13, 16:40
Right, the guy I was pulling for fed Silva humble pie twice and a row but I'm a hater. I like Wiedman because he whooped the bully who beat up on smaller guys and even though I like the guy he's now going to be the bully of the division based upon his frame. I'd like to see Wiedman move up to be honest. I like Jon Jones as well but both men (Jones & Silva) have an unfair advantage and because of that I'd like to see a rule change. Muscle mass means little and overall weight means even less, but when a fighter has a significant advantage in their frame it's difficult to overcome that, it is what it is.

Thats why theres different fighting styles, and some styles work better for guys with a type of frame. Like wrestlers are better when they're shorter but stockier. Stand up guys tend to be taller and leaner. Silva has fought guys shorter than him but many with a weight advantage. So I think its more of a style of fighting maybe being better for the the UFC than another. This isn't like traditional wresting where you start from a wresting position. A wrestler has to take down a stand up guy before he can ever use his primary fighting style which is a tough thing to do. This applies to more than one weight class, and wrestlers need to be very good at take downs.

Chael is only an inch shorter but is quite a bit stockier than Silva. IMO its poor sportsmanship to complain about a reach or height disadvantage after the fact. There have been plenty of losses by guys who had such an advantage. Silva has managed to deal with the wrestler types for a long time, and he doesn't let them get him on the ground for long where they have the advantage. Silva is also almost 40 years old, and its pretty clear he's getting up there. A lot of these guys who have been around for a while and such are going to be getting taken out by the next generation of guys in their 20's and thats just the cycle of all sports. GSP is another one of them. Thats what fighting is about, and why there are titles. The new up and comers are always looking up to see who they can try and take out.

WillBrink
12-29-13, 16:45
Anyone seen this?

[YouTube Video Deleted]

Sorry to say, yes I did. Unlikely he'll come back from that. :(

ALCOAR
12-29-13, 17:10
How people hate Anderson Silva is way beyond me....super talented, and humble fighter!

I highly recommend watching Anderson Silva: Like Water if you really want to learn about his personality, and overall character. Belmont is right on about his place in history imho,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9QEKxv-4ok

Belmont31R
12-29-13, 17:17
Sorry to say, yes I did. Unlikely he'll come back from that. :(

Even if he did he is almost 40, and its not a revelation that there are now younger guys coming up.

Campbell
12-29-13, 17:22
I highly recommend watching Anderson Silva: Like Water

Yep, I watched that a while back...seemed to be a stand up guy, and a very well centered person in general. This will do nothing to diminish an outstanding career, and I don't even consider myself a fan of him other than his ability...Champions get beat, it has to happen.

EDIT: I don't think that is the special I watched. I caught one on Netflix, and it portrayed him as a very dedicated family man, and true sportsman, but I don't remember the actual name of the show.

jpmuscle
12-29-13, 17:36
I stopped watching UFC when became less about fighting and skill and more like it wanted to be a drama filled reality TV show a la jersey shore.

I'm finding a ton of humor in this bickering lol

Sent from my DROID X2

ALCOAR
12-29-13, 17:36
That's the one.....he is portrayed as a very family oriented man.

QuickStrike
12-29-13, 18:27
Wth, the part that broke doesnt even seem like the area of impact to me??