PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy for wanting a Sig 551A1 or 556?

JBecker 72
12-29-13, 12:40
I have been getting the itch for a Sig rifle for the past few months. I shot a friends 556 Classic and really enjoyed it. His has been a very reliable rifle from the start, he has a few thousand rounds through it at this point. I have heard of some problematic rifles here and there, but I also hear plenty of users who are very happy with them.

Regarding the 551A1 vs 556, are the Sig mags really that much more reliable? Like I said, my friends 556 runs like a champ using PMags, and I have a ton of quality USGI and PMags. However, I'm not opposed to buying the 551A1 and about 10 mags for it if needed. It would just be a bonus to be able to use what I already have, and mag changes are more familiar with the button compared to the latch.

And before people say to just buy an AR, I have 2 BCM rifles and an HK91. This Sig is just gonna be a range toy and something different to play with. Other rifles I have considered is one of the new AUG's, or maybe a HK93, but I really can't afford the 93 right now, and I don't want a clone. The AUG is also pricey, but not out of the question.

Anyone here with actual use of the rifle?

RHINOWSO
12-29-13, 12:48
Honestly, if you are just looking for a range toy, sure. Buy one as cheap as you can. I'd get one for AR mags.

I had one for about a year, it was flawless in about 1K rounds but I sold it to move onto ARs but if I ever had funds to burn and room in the safe a 556 SBR would be fun.

Note that they're pretty hard on brass and launch them into orbit, if that matters to you.

JoshNC
12-29-13, 12:52
I recommend against the 556. Sig Exeter has done everything in their power to cheapen the 556/551a1 to point that it must be deliberate. Extremely poor QC, fully retarded decisions related to furniture/sights/optic rail attachment, and airsoft grade optics/accessories. Exeter could have taken a lead from Steyr, Arsenal, FN and brought us a US made 551-2 that was nearly identical to the Swiss guns. Instead they gave us the sbortion that is the 556. I have owned a total of four 556, currently have two (both SBRs), and also have four original Swiss 55x. If I didn't have a tax stamp on both 556s, I would sell them and just keep the Swiss rifles.

You can find genuine Swiss 553s right now for $3200-3500 on gunbroker. If you can afford it, I would go in this direction then register the 553 as an SBR.

If I was deciding between the 556/551a1 and a Steyr AUG A3, I would choose the AUG. I have an AUG A3 and a USR turned AUG A2. The AUG is personally one of my favorite non-AR platforms. And Steyr emphasizes building a quality rifle, unlike Sig Exeter.

JBecker 72
12-29-13, 13:04
If I were to get the 556, I would keep it just a iron sight only rifle most likely. No fancy stock, no railed hand guards, and no optics. While I would love a Swiss rifle, $3500 is out of the question for a while. (and for that money I'd have an HK93 instead)

If I were to get one, I want to go with this setup. Just a simple rifle. This is how my friend runs his.

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq314/Pacs100/4aa.jpg?t=1347997550

JoshNC
12-29-13, 13:39
Since you mentioned the AUG in your OP, I recommend you buy the AUG A3 over any 556 offering.

If I were to get the 556, I would keep it just a iron sight only rifle most likely. No fancy stock, no railed hand guards, and no optics. While I would love a Swiss rifle, $3500 is out of the question for a while. (and for that money I'd have an HK93 instead)

If I were to get one, I want to go with this setup. Just a simple rifle. This is how my friend runs his.

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq314/Pacs100/4aa.jpg?t=1347997550

JBecker 72
12-29-13, 13:46
The AUG is a consideration, although it is quite a bit more money all things considered. Rifle, mags, optic, etc.

Specifically, what kind of problems did you see with your 4 556 rifles?

JoshNC
12-29-13, 13:59
The AUG is a consideration, although it is quite a bit more money all things considered. Rifle, mags, optic, etc.

But worth it. Mags can be found for $15-17 each right now from Manventure Sports (Google them). Buy the rifle, save some money, then add an Aimpoint PRO and you'll be in business. Another option is to buy the A3 NATO version which allows use of AR mags. I have both types of stocks.

Specifically, what kind of problems did you see with your 4 556 rifles?

Slipshod quality control. Canted receiver/optics rail on one (and it was REALLY canted), improperly machined trunion on one, and improperly riveted dust covers (internal rivet was ground down by Sig to allow bolt carrier to clear), and one rifle that was fine and with no issues.

Other known QC issues to the 556:
- Pressed in studs into which the optic rail is screwed have been pulled out by minimal use. This happened to a friend's rifle.
- Gas tubes improperly welded
- Gas valve gas ports incorrectly drilled
- Barrels with poor accuracy requiring barrel swap by Sig
- Lack of fully rosette welded bolt guide rails
- Bolt carrier charging handle locking lever coming loose

Additional issues:
- Cheap made-somewhere-in-Asia accessories
- Cheaply made and poorly executed diopter sights that are a joke when compared to the original Swiss
- Bait and switch tactic of initially offering Swiss furniture (beginning with the "classic"), then making lower quality repro furniture with multiple QC issues, such as fit, durability, etc.

MJLman
12-29-13, 14:50
As a range toy or something to play with, why not? If you feel you have your bases covered in other areas of desire or need. Close/detailed inspection prior to purchase would be ideal based on this rifles history.
As a sample of one, mine is from April of '07 and has been flawless. I use PMags and GI's without issue.

Auto426
12-29-13, 16:57
I bought a 551A1 as a range toy and so far I have been relatively pleased with it. It may not have been the smartest financial decision, but I wanted a 550 series rifles and the few real Swiss guns here in the US were well outside my budget. I happened upon Bud's selling them for cheaper than I had ever seen them before, so I made an impulse buy and picked one up.

Based upon my newer example, it seems that most of the early QC issue have been worked out. Mine was well built and he a nice fit and finish. I haven't shot it all that much, but it hasn't failed yet. It hits where I want it to, though the included rear diopter is a bit of a let down. The recoil is amazingly smooth and light compared to my 5.56 AR and 5.45 AK. Overall it makes a great conversation piece at the range and I'm pretty well satisfied with it.

Wellcraft
12-29-13, 20:20
if you can get a 556 classic cheap then i would go for it in a heart beat. a couple of years ago the bottom dropped out of the 556 market and shops in my area were selling 556 classics for less than a grand and the SWAT mdl for 1100 which is about what they were worth to begin with. i had the SWAT and it was a nice rifle but i ended up selling it when someone offered me what i paid for it which was on the high end since i bought it prior to the price drop.

halmbarte
12-30-13, 10:13
I recommend against the 556. Sig Exeter has done everything in their power to cheapen the 556/551a1 to point that it must be deliberate. Extremely poor QC, fully retarded decisions related to furniture/sights/optic rail attachment, and airsoft grade optics/accessories. Exeter could have taken a lead from Steyr, Arsenal, FN and brought us a US made 551-2 that was nearly identical to the Swiss guns. Instead they gave us the sbortion that is the 556. I have owned a total of four 556, currently have two (both SBRs), and also have four original Swiss 55x. If I didn't have a tax stamp on both 556s, I would sell them and just keep the Swiss rifles.

You can find genuine Swiss 553s right now for $3200-3500 on gunbroker. If you can afford it, I would go in this direction then register the 553 as an SBR.

If I was deciding between the 556/551a1 and a Steyr AUG A3, I would choose the AUG. I have an AUG A3 and a USR turned AUG A2. The AUG is personally one of my favorite non-AR platforms. And Steyr emphasizes building a quality rifle, unlike Sig Exeter.

I agree 100%. The Sig 556 reeks of a rifle that was designed to hit a price point, not performance.

I sold mine (which only had the gas ports incorrectly drilled, a problem that Sig CS never solved for me) to fund a SCAR, which is built for quality.

I did eventually pick up a AUG A3 too, and that's my current favorite.

H

pat701
12-30-13, 18:09
Love the 556, i have no problems with mine.

ScottsBad
12-30-13, 18:52
SCAR 16 can be had for about $2300 give or take and is my choice over any Sig rifle in 556.

JBecker 72
12-30-13, 20:02
SCAR 16 can be had for about $2300 give or take and is my choice over any Sig rifle in 556.

I guess I don't see the point in the SCAR 16 given it's price. For $300 more I can get a 17, or if I want to stick with the 5.56 round I can get the AUG for less. I'm finding SIG 556 rifles for right around $1000 new. I'm gonna shoot my friends again soon and I might buy one shortly after.

Yeah I know it's not the nicest option on the block, but if it passes my inspection before buying, and it functions on the range, I'll be happy. Like I said, I have 2 BCM 14.5" M4 rifles that I can use if I ever need to use a rifle in a life or death situation, and I seriously doubt that is gonna happen. I have all the guns I "need" (and then some), I'm looking to add some guns I "want" to the safe.

SteveS
12-30-13, 20:25
I guess I don't see the point in the SCAR 16 given it's price. For $300 more I can get a 17, or if I want to stick with the 5.56 round I can get the AUG for less. I'm finding SIG 556 rifles for right around $1000 new. I'm gonna shoot my friends again soon and I might buy one shortly after.

Yeah I know it's not the nicest option on the block, but if it passes my inspection before buying, and it functions on the range, I'll be happy. Like I said, I have 2 BCM 14.5" M4 rifles that I can use if I ever need to use a rifle in a life or death situation, and I seriously doubt that is gonna happen. I have all the guns I "need" (and then some), I'm looking to add some guns I "want" to the safe. Last Saturday A guy had a SCAR in 7.62 /308 kindaa neato looking if you are into neato but give me an proper quality AR or AK and I'll be happy. Sigs suck for parts availabity if that matters.

JPB
12-30-13, 20:47
Are you crazy? No, buy one and go have fun with it. If you're like me, it'll likely serve as a gateway gun to a legit Swiss Sig 55x. Still don't have a Swiss Sig, but the 556 put them on my radar.

Dirtyboy333
12-30-13, 22:41
JoshNC, I'm guessing "rosette" welds are the "spot" looking welds that run down both sides of the receiver holding the carrier ride rails to the stamped sheet metal?

When my 556 was at West Coast Armory getting a steel rail welded on and refinished, I asked their head gunsmith (who was supposedly very familiar with the 55x series) if he could go ahead and put those welds on my receiver while he was welding on the rail since mine didn't have them. He told me that due to new welding robots/techniques/technology that was completely unessesary and a waste of time. I also had a retired engineer who does a lot of work on 55x's (you probably know him) tell me that Sig USA has an excellent CPU welder and all the welds on the 556's are excellent quality.

Do you find any merit to this or is it just a way to cut corners?

I've never had any problems with my bolt guide rails after many rounds but it does in fact bother me that those welds are not there.

JoshNC
12-31-13, 07:44
I believe Sig was just cutting corners. The Swiss guns have these welds in addition to all components being furnace brazed into the sheet metal receiver shell. The welds (and more of them) are present on the Swiss rifles; I would prefer they were present on the US rifles. The rails on a friend's rifle (which lacked the welds) could be slightly flexed up and down within the receiver.

It just seems a never ending series of cost cutting measures at the expense of quality.

JoshNC, I'm guessing "rosette" welds are the "spot" looking welds that run down both sides of the receiver holding the carrier ride rails to the stamped sheet metal?

When my 556 was at West Coast Armory getting a steel rail welded on and refinished, I asked their head gunsmith (who was supposedly very familiar with the 55x series) if he could go ahead and put those welds on my receiver while he was welding on the rail since mine didn't have them. He told me that due to new welding robots/techniques/technology that was completely unessesary and a waste of time. I also had a retired engineer who does a lot of work on 55x's (you probably know him) tell me that Sig USA has an excellent CPU welder and all the welds on the 556's are excellent quality.

Do you find any merit to this or is it just a way to cut corners?

I've never had any problems with my bolt guide rails after many rounds but it does in fact bother me that those welds are not there.

Dirtyboy333
12-31-13, 09:45
That's what I was thinking as well. I wish I would've demanded that they be welded.

JBecker 72
12-31-13, 10:19
All this talk of Swiss rifles has me browsing gun broker for 553's. I would love to have a 553 SBR, but that is way out of my price range sadly. Maybe one day.

nick84
12-31-13, 13:07
You want one, go ahead and get one. That's how I ended up with an ACR(still like) and a Golani(so so) in the safe. Happy plinking. :)