PDA

View Full Version : WOA Vs Criterion barrels

Djstorm100
12-29-13, 19:27
I put this thread here in hopes to get more traffic, mods please move if you wish.

I've been wanting to build a SBP/DMR style of rifle for a while. Now that Christmas has passed, it is time to get the ball rolling. Rifle would consist of 18" SS barrel and to reach out 300-500 and sometimes 600 yards. 2-3 moa is possible (if doing my part, but capable if that is not too much to ask. 600 yards that 12 inch cone of fire, if going for 2moa. I'm probably asking too much as well. I was dead set on getting a WOA barrel but I can't find them anywhere in rifle length. I did have a gentlemen PM me about Criterion barrels. I don't know that much about them, to be frank I've never had held one/seen on/shot one. So I'm flying blind here so to speak. Is there anyone that has both or had gone from one to the other? WOA is a great buy and can out perform almost anyone, which is why I was dead nuts set on getting one.

Something in the eyes of what this Gent has done. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?131640-Just-finished-SPR-Recce-LOVE-IT!-Pics/page5

d90king
12-29-13, 20:27
Any of the quality match barrels out there will certainly give you better than 2-3 MOA.

This barrel should serve your purposes with no problem and save you some cash in the process.
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=815

Based on your requirements there is no need for you to spend the extra money.

Djstorm100
12-29-13, 20:31
Any of the quality match barrels out there will certainly give you better than 2-3 MOA.

This barrel should serve your purposes with no problem and save you some cash in the process.
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=815

Based on your requirements there is no need for you to spend the extra money.

Yup I've been on the list since Nov for Rainier to get them back in.

The Criterion barrel is 269.99 + shipping.

As uppers go, any particular one that is better suit for purpose? Didn't know if some manufacture was better suited for this ( I stick to DD, BCM, Noveske, other top tier strictly)

d90king
12-29-13, 20:37
Yup I've been on the list since Nov for Rainier to get them back in.

The Criterion barrel is 269.99 + shipping.

As uppers go, any particular one that is better suit for purpose? Didn't know if some manufacture was better suited for this ( I stick to DD, BCM, Noveske, other top tier strictly)

Hmm, they normally get those in and out on a regular basis... I also didn't know that the Criterion was so cheap.

In my experience Noveske offers the best accuracy out there, but based on your requirements I'm pretty sure any quality SPR barrel will give you what you need. It just comes down to who has a rifle length 18" in stock. If the Criterion is ready to ship it will certainly meet your requirements, but so will BCM, DD, Ranier and Noveske...

Djstorm100
12-29-13, 20:39
Hmm, they normally get those in and out on a regular basis... I also didn't know that the Criterion was so cheap.

In my experience Noveske offers the best accuracy out there, but based on your requirements I'm pretty sure any quality SPR barrel will give you what you need. It just comes down to who has a rifle length 18" in stock. If the Criterion is ready to ship it will certainly meet your requirements, but so will BCM, DD, Ranier and Noveske...

What about for the upper..any top quality will do (BCM for that matter)

Djstorm100
01-01-14, 01:43
any one else have any info/opinions?

sinister
01-01-14, 11:49
There are plenty of good barrels out there, and plenty of good gunsmiths who can rig one for you (turned from a blank).

Krieger Criterion barrels are good, as are the Rainiers. John Holliger at White Oak and Frank White at Compass Lake put out lots of good barrels from Douglas or other quality blanks (both having got their start doing National Match ARs for Camp Perry, then expanding business to the mass-market crowd hoping for better precision). The Noveske shop uses Pac-Nor blanks out of Oregon.

The bottom line is a quality barrel starts with a quality blank, and must be turned and chambered by a competent gunsmith-machinist.

Many "Standard" chrome-lined barrels produced today will provide fine service for a long time when fed quality match-grade hand loads. If you're using typical mass-produced factory ammo all bets are off.

The bottom line, of course, is the shooter must be capable of exploiting the rifle's precision potential. A terrible trigger, poor sights or scope, and "Meh" ammo don't help either.

TX0303
01-03-14, 16:23
Nordic Components has their 18" SS barrel in stock. These are accurate, built off of Wilson blanks, and used by a lot of 3-gunners. You can read reviews here and over at Brian Enos forums. That's what I bought for my SPR type build, which is not complete yet. These have a lighter profile than a true SPR barrel.
Criterion makes BCM's 18" SS barrels, and they have lots of good reviews as well.
As for upper, BCM, or any that has a reputation of being machined correctly, will do fine.

Djstorm100
01-03-14, 16:58
There are plenty of good barrels out there, and plenty of good gunsmiths who can rig one for you (turned from a blank).

Krieger Criterion barrels are good, as are the Rainiers. John Holliger at White Oak and Frank White at Compass Lake put out lots of good barrels from Douglas or other quality blanks (both having got their start doing National Match ARs for Camp Perry, then expanding business to the mass-market crowd hoping for better precision). The Noveske shop uses Pac-Nor blanks out of Oregon.

The bottom line is a quality barrel starts with a quality blank, and must be turned and chambered by a competent gunsmith-machinist.

Many "Standard" chrome-lined barrels produced today will provide fine service for a long time when fed quality match-grade hand loads. If you're using typical mass-produced factory ammo all bets are off.

The bottom line, of course, is the shooter must be capable of exploiting the rifle's precision potential. A terrible trigger, poor sights or scope, and "Meh" ammo don't help either.

I believe my best bet would to get a SS barrel. I believe the Mk12 used one or something of that nature? I need to look in to it more. I believe it was SS wih a "painted" outer coating.

Nordic Components has their 18" SS barrel in stock. These are accurate, built off of Wilson blanks, and used by a lot of 3-gunners. You can read reviews over at Brian Enos forums. That's what I bought for my SPR build, which is not complete yet.
Criterion makes BCM's 18" SS barrels, and they have lots of good reviews as well.
As for upper, BCM, or any that has a reputation of being machined correctly, will do fine.

Thank you! Not to sound..well dumb...but is there a differeance (in life) with a compeition style barrel vs say a WOA SPR/Rainier/BCM?

1slow01Z71
01-03-14, 22:49
Might try calling WOA, I bought their SDM 20" a few months back that showed out of stock everywhere but when I called them directly they were able to scare up a barrel and a matching bolt for me. With my handloads its sub moa 10 shot groups. Very accurate even when firing quick strings. Probably my favorite barrel thus far now that Ive got the load dialed in for it.

JD42
01-07-14, 14:20
Love my WOA 18in SPR barrel sub MOA. Check out brownells.

markm
02-28-14, 11:26
Slow here on Friday's so I'm bumping this sucker...

No one mentioned Bergara barrels. I haven't shopped them recently, but we picked up two that shoot lights out. Both are 16" M4 profiles that are gassed right, and cycle damn near like rifles.

Noveske is a rip off in my opinion. They are a good barrel on par with the rest, but folks just seem to blindly overpay for the name. I'm not anti Noveske by any stretch.... it's just not smart money

ccoker
02-28-14, 11:32
Had a lot of them
Don't forget about JP barrels

What was the consistent best shooter for me, even with repeated firings where the barrel got how was a Douglas SPR profile from Compass lake

It was heavier than I wanted for 3 gun though.

I will be getting a new one in from Ballistic Advantage shortly..

Anxious to check it out.

steppenwolf
03-09-14, 08:17
WOA v. Criterion barrels.
Truthfully, I've had good experience w/ both barrels, but in completely different rifles.

Built 5 yrs ago, my SPR is a complete WOA upper (including BCG) with 18" SS 1/7 twist barrel. It's sub-MOA most of the time, the limitation being the shooter, which is to say, me. Found one handload that put 5-rds in to .440 @ 100yds using Berger 70gn HPs & Varget, and I really haven't spent the time to reload that much for it. With factory, like Norma's 77gn .223 Match load, it's .75-90 MOA, depending on me.

Here's a recent pic (ditched the original quad rail last year for a 12" PRI 3rd Gen tube; scope is a Vortex PST 2.5x-10; Geissele DMR trigger).

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/CIMG1484.jpg (http://s372.photobucket.com/user/agtman/media/CIMG1484.jpg.html)

The Criterion barrel is in my 1903A4 clone and it's shot pretty close to MOA, and with several match '.06 loads it's been sub-MOA, but as noted, the A4 is a different breed of animal. No personal experience with Criterions on the AR-platform.