PDA

View Full Version : Glock owner looking at 1911s

warrior9504
05-13-08, 07:55
OK. I have CCW'd a glock 19 for the past several years, and recently I decided I wanted a thin gun to compliment my selection of carry guns (in some suits the G19 is just too thick in my smartcarry).

I feel that if I give up the round capacity of a double stack mag to get a thinner gun I should switch to a .45 ACP so if I have less rounds at least they will be bigger rounds. And then I decided I should look at the 1911 because it is such a classic style handgun. But I just can't seem to take the plunge, I have found several decent guns on Gunbroker and at a local gun show but just couldn't put down the cash.

I don't know if I am just looking at the 1911 out of obligation (everyone "should" own one) or is it really what I want? Would I be better-off getting a Kahr, Walther or other single stack in DAO which I am much more used to? Problem is I hear the Kahr has mag/feed issues, and I have heard several QC problems with the Walther. The Glock single stack 45 isn't much thinner than my 19 (.03 in)

Has anyone else struggled with this decision, or perhaps even converted from Glock to 1911?

sff70
05-13-08, 10:31
Keep the G19.

As to 1911s, if you want one to see if you like it, consider a Springfield "Loaded" model. Lots of features at that price point.

If you want a 1911 for defense purposes, Hilton Yam has some very good articles on the subject.

To paraphrase him, the 1911 was built when skilled labor was cheap and machining was expensive. Today the opposite is true. To produce a 1911 that works 100%, there are several processes that must be done by an actual person, with knowledge and tools, taking their time ("fitting") to make sure they are done right.

To quote Red Adair, "If you think hiring a professional is expensive, wait until you hire an amateur".

markm
05-13-08, 10:42
Even if you could find a reliable 1911, there's the weight issue.

I carry a full size Glock everywhere, and I could never go back to lugging that 1911 around again in the CCW realm.

trio
05-13-08, 11:06
if you really want a thin, single stack carry gun get a glock 36.....plus you will be familiar with the trigger...make sure you get a good one...

i say that because of all the glock models the 36 seems to have been the most finicky based on anecdotal evidence...having said that, the one I had was just fine...i just preferred the 9mm for carry.....

if you really want a reliable, carry sized 1911 that you are going to trust your live to, be prepared to look at the Nighthawk T3 or similar guns by Wilson, or getting a base gun and having an honest to God smith work on it (and this means being willing to spend a lot of money)....the smaller 1911s tend towards less reliability naturally, and I really believe that if you really, really, really want a good combat 1911 you had better be able to work and tune it yourself, or willing to pay someone to have done it for you intially or to do it for you after purchase....this is from MULTIPLE 1911s owned...you name it, I've probably owned it.....i love the gun, but cash wise i cannot afford to make it my primary weapon, plus the G19, or other similar pistol (M&P 9, Sig p228, etc) all do the same job, as adequately, generally more reliably initially, and for a fraction of the price, upkeep and maintenance....

Gentle Ben
05-13-08, 11:12
I was in your predicament as well. I trust Glocks, but love the ergonomics and thin profile of the 1911; also, I find that a 1911 doesn't take as much "effort" to shoot accurately.

I went with a S&W 1911 PD Commander. It's Scandium framed, which saves some weight. I put thin linen micarta grips on it, to reduce bulk even further. I regularly carry it in a Sparks SS-II in a jeans and t-shirt ensemble.

I've only had a few hiccups with my Smith in approx 4k rounds. There were a few malfunctions during the break-in period (200 rds and less), and I had the plunger tube break loose recently. S&W fixed it for free, and paid overnight freight both ways.

AATW!

sff70
05-13-08, 11:20
I really believe that if you really, really, really want a good combat 1911 you had better be able to work and tune it yourself, or willing to pay someone to have done it for you intially or to do it for you after purchase....this is from MULTIPLE 1911s owned...you name it, I've probably owned it.....i love the gun, but cash wise i cannot afford to make it my primary weapon, plus the G19, or other similar pistol (M&P 9, Sig p228, etc) all do the same job, as adequately, generally more reliably initially, and for a fraction of the price, upkeep and maintenance....

Well said.

ST911
05-13-08, 11:29
Has anyone else struggled with this decision, or perhaps even converted from Glock to 1911?

After a cost:benefit analysis, it wasn't much of a struggle for me. Such a switch was more loss than gain for the standards I would impose. Here's a couple of handy resources for your contemplation:

Choosing a 1911 for Duty Use
http://www.10-8performance.com/id8.html

1911 Users Guide
http://www.10-8performance.com/id9.html

You might find more success in your suit if you upgraded to a better holster option. I've carried compact Glocks (prim. G23) in business wear for many years without a problem.

It's tough to beat a G19.

DM-SC
05-13-08, 11:54
I was in your predicament as well. I trust Glocks, but love the ergonomics and thin profile of the 1911; also, I find that a 1911 doesn't take as much "effort" to shoot accurately.

I went with a S&W 1911 PD Commander. It's Scandium framed, which saves some weight. I put thin linen micarta grips on it, to reduce bulk even further. I regularly carry it in a Sparks SS-II in a jeans and t-shirt ensemble.

I've only had a few hiccups with my Smith in approx 4k rounds. There were a few malfunctions during the break-in period (200 rds and less), and I had the plunger tube break loose recently. S&W fixed it for free, and paid overnight freight both ways.

AATW!

+1...except that my SW1911PD has not had any "hiccups"! :cool:

I'm NOT going to give up my Glocks...least of all my G19! ;)

Gentle Ben
05-13-08, 12:21
Hmph. I'll trade you my 1911PD for yours then. :p

warrior9504
05-13-08, 13:22
if you really want a thin, single stack carry gun get a glock 36.....plus you will be familiar with the trigger...make sure you get a good one...

i say that because of all the glock models the 36 seems to have been the most finicky based on anecdotal evidence...having said that, the one I had was just fine...i just preferred the 9mm for carry.....

The Glock 36 is only .04 in thinner than my G19. Now I'm not math wiz but that ain't much! The problem is the Glocks are "clunky" and I say this as a HUGE Glock fan, over 10K rounds through mine in over 8 years NEVER ONE MALFUNCTION. But the gun is simply too think to carry in a smartcarry in a couple of my suits (and I can't afford to buy custom taylor suits any more than I can afford a Wilson Combat 1911).

Gentle Ben
05-13-08, 13:32
FWIW, I was never a fan of S&W...until they got into the 1911 and AR game.

One nice thing about their 1911s is that they have an external extractor, and the extractor actually works.

I guess S&W's advantage is that they were putting external extractors in semi-autos when Kimbers were wearing short pants.

skipper49
05-13-08, 15:12
The G36 feels a lot thinner than the caliper would suggest. I carry 80% of the time with a belly band and don't like having a chambered round in my Glocks in the soft sided belly band. I solved that problem over six years ago with the Kahr P-40. VERY thin, .94",and only about 17 oz empty. The 9mm is even thinner at .90. I'm tall and thin and the Kahr can be worn anywhere w/o detection. My Glocks will feed a wider variety of bullet shapes better than the Kahr, but choose a bullet it likes and it is 100%.

Skip

lindertw
05-13-08, 16:28
guess I'm backwards as I'm transitioning from 1911's to a Glock 19 :D I took a few measurements on my Colt Commander and G19:

1911 slide width = 0.912"
1911 width w/pachmayr rubber grips = 1.300"
1911 width w/wood grips = 1.278"

G19 (2nd gen) slide width = 1.006"
G19 (2nd gen) grip width - 1.154"

I can put up some side-x-side pics of the frames if you're interested...

warrior9504
05-13-08, 17:23
guess I'm backwards as I'm transitioning from 1911's to a Glock 19 :D I took a few measurements on my Colt Commander and G19:

so what you are telling me is if I want thin the 1911 may not gain me much, if anything. huh.

back to the drawing board.

lindertw
05-13-08, 17:48
a 1911 with slim grips would decrease the width a bit more, but I'd bet it would still only be as slim as the glock frame. I don't have thin grips to put on mine to measure, sorry...

Colt Commander w/Pachmayr Combat grips installed v. 2nd gen G19

http://mysite.verizon.net/tlinderman/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/sidexside_2.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/tlinderman/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/sidexside_3.jpg

warrior9504
05-13-08, 21:50
Thanks for the pics lindertw.

So why then does a 1911 feel so much thinner than my Glock? And what is a guy who wants a thin gun with a decent barrel length to do? I've heard some issues with Kahr, and Kel-Tec seems too cheap.

variablebinary
05-14-08, 02:51
Never sell the G19. Regret is what you're getting in return

If you really want thin, Kahr is the way to go. Not much is thinner out there

warrior9504
05-14-08, 07:11
Never sell the G19. Regret is what you're getting in return

If you really want thin, Kahr is the way to go. Not much is thinner out there

I would NEVER sell my Glock. That gun is just too reliable, and too tested (not to mention customized to my taste!).

I looked at the Kahr but I have heard about feed problems stemming from their mag followers that the company can't seem to iron out. If it is a carry gun I can't have that potential problem. Is this report accurate? Honestly, I think I would rather get a Kahr because it would be much cheaper, and this gun is only going to be a supplement weapon, so I could then spend money on other toys or another gun:D

skipper49
05-14-08, 08:05
I only have personal experience with my two Kahrs, the P-40 that I mentioned and the little MK9. With multiple mags I have never had mag related problems. BTW, when I did need minor help from Kahr, I found their cs to be first class.

Skip

variablebinary
05-14-08, 11:29
I would NEVER sell my Glock. That gun is just too reliable, and too tested (not to mention customized to my taste!).

I looked at the Kahr but I have heard about feed problems stemming from their mag followers that the company can't seem to iron out. If it is a carry gun I can't have that potential problem. Is this report accurate? Honestly, I think I would rather get a Kahr because it would be much cheaper, and this gun is only going to be a supplement weapon, so I could then spend money on other toys or another gun:D

I've got a good amount of trigger time with 9mm Kahr's. For being so small, they shoot well in terms of accuracy and recoil.

I personally havent had any issues with the design but I'd heard of feeding issues on the internet :p

Maybe some other people can chime in with Kahr experiances. If you want small though, it doesnt get much better

DM-SC
05-14-08, 11:54
Hmph. I'll trade you my 1911PD for yours then. :p

You're such a "Dreamer"! :D

DM-SC
05-14-08, 12:01
I owned both a K9 (sold to a friend who still owns it) and MK9.

My one and only issue was magazine related and fairly weird! From time to time, I'd be going about my normal bid-ness when...I'd here a funny clunk from my left side. The first time it happened, I was like "what the..???".

The top round would pop out of the magazine! A few times, when I was wearing a double Galco mag pouch, the loose round ended up on the floor!

It only happened with Kahr mags, too!

I love the Kahr line of guns. I'd buy my old K9 back from my friend IF he'd sell it...BUT, the scum moved out of state and it'd cost me an extra $50+ to get it back!

warrior9504
05-16-08, 07:08

I assume those are standard grips (thickness wise) as I understand it Wilson and others make slim carry grips that are significantly thinner.

Anyone out there use those, have a report?

lindertw
05-16-08, 08:26
I assume those are standard grips (thickness wise) as I understand it Wilson and others make slim carry grips that are significantly thinner.

Anyone out there use those, have a report?
the wood grips I measured were standard thickness/factory Colt offerings. I don't have a set of thin grips to measure, but my hunch is that 1911+thin grips will still be thicker than the glock frame.

Hopefully someone can post up some numbers for you.

*eta: here's (http://www.woodgrips.com/1911_ultra_thin.htm) a link to "ultra thin" grips for the 1911.

http://www.woodgrips.com/thin_grips_line_drawing2.gif
photo courtesy of woodgrips.com

if my math is right (I'm not accountable for my math on Friday ;) ): 1/4 = 8/32
standard grip - ultra thin grip: 8/32 - 5/32 = 3/32
3/32 * 2 (two grips) = 6/32 = 0.1875"

1911 w/standard thickness wood grips = 1.278"
1911 w/ultra thin grips = 1.09" estimate

link to pic showing standard grips v. cmc thin grips (http://sydweedon.com/catalog/images/mccormick/slimline_grip.jpg)

hope this helps...

G34Shooter
05-16-08, 10:21
I finally got into the 1911 world last year with a pretty nice customized model that I love to shoot, is extremely accurate and very reliable so far... But when it comes down to a CCW or defensive gun, I'm sticking with my 9mm Glocks which I shoot as well at speed at self defense distances.

old grunt
07-19-08, 15:41
Hey Airborne! I went the other way first....buying and modifying my Colt's in the 80's and early 90's BEFORE they came OTB "reliable" THEN getting a Glock 19. My old job switched from revolvers to the G19/26 on/off duty combo. I was a late sell, but I LOVE EM. I do LOVE MY COLTS: the BIG ROUND, the "CA-CHUNK" of the slide cycling, BUT I'm always waiting for the "shoe to drop" and a malfunction to happen. I carry an OM that has been worked quite a bit and I'm going to test fire it AGAIN with my EGW recoil set-up. IF it passes muster it goes in the Milt Sparks SS IWB as my cool weather carry, BUT I KNOW THOSE GLOCKS ALWAYS WORK NO MATTER WHEN AND HOW I CARRY THEM. Is that worth a little more "bulk"? I guess so. I think it just comes down to personal preference and how well you KNOW your weapons work. It pains me to think in the dark reaches of my mind that if I had to go with one pistol(auto) it would probably be the Austrian Tupperware. SORRY COL.COOPER it was hard for me to think and harder to type:( Maybe if I attended Larry Vickers 1911 Operators course I would learn enough to bring the Colts up to par with the Glocks in the reliability department!!! Now I need a pre-lock 642 or 442 Smith as a BUG and I'm set to engage the street savages!!:)

dojpros
07-19-08, 17:39
Airborne, I was you. First guns - g17 and a g19. My first 1911 was a Kimber Series One in blue. I just recently found a clean one in Stainless. I ping pong back and forth between the two platforms. I now also own and carry a g34 and a g35.

The 10-8 refrences are a good start. I would also consider a used Kimber Series One gun, a Springfield MC Operator or the Loaded as mentioned above.

I would buy knowing that I might have to spend another 100.00 on a used gun to have a reliabilty job done by someone who knows how to smith a 1911 for carry/duty ( as opposed to competition). If it is a new Springfield, they have a shop that will make it right if needed. I would buy CMC Power Mags for practice/Tripp mags for carry. I would have any flat mainspring housing replaced with an arched MSH so the 1911 would point more glocklike.

I would buy a quality leather purpose made and designed gunbelt and a holsters whose slots matched the width of the belt to combat the increased weight issue of a 1911 v. a glock. I would buy/reload a few thousand rounds of ammo and I would find a close class and get some training time using
a 1911.

FWIW, I recognize Kahr to be a good and very slim weapons platform. However, the trigger rest is much longer than that of a glock. If size is really driving the train, it is a very good choice.

I would never sell a g19 that worked.

IMNSHO, any 1911 with a decent trigger that you are familar with is really easy to shoot well with relative to any other pistol.

Dedpoet
07-19-08, 21:06
My 1911 Commander has slim Alumagrips on it. At the fattest part of the grips, right under the beaver tail, it's 1.078". The fattest part of the gun I can find is from the highest point on the single-sided thumb safety to the high spot on the right grip, and that's 1.208".

I don't own a Glock, but here's my 1911 (Commander length, thing grips) next to my Sig P228. Please excuse the horrible quality, I just took them quickly under a fluorescent light at my bench for reference. Fractions of an inch don't sound like a lot when you read it, but there is a giant difference for me in carrying these two guns.

http://guilbault.us/brian/images/firearms/1911-228-1.jpg
http://guilbault.us/brian/images/firearms/1911-228-2.jpg

UNIT 6639
07-20-08, 09:34
Even if you could find a reliable 1911, there's the weight issue.

I carry a full size Glock everywhere, and I could never go back to lugging that 1911 around again in the CCW realm.

This is what ended up sending me back to a Glock, my 1911 and my CZ 75 were both solid guns, and very heavy.

After selling my glocks and carrying 1911/CZ 75, I have now gone back to glocks.

It helped my decesion that ammo is so high these days, I can barely afford to practice with my carry weapon :(

Curare
07-20-08, 11:40
P7M8 is your answer.

FrankRochester
07-20-08, 12:13
Keep your G19... But the 1911 platform is great as well. I've come to the conclusion after owning and shooting many different handguns that Glocks and 1911's are the only things worth owning. Each for their own reasons. May I suggest a Colt Lightweight Commander? I have owned a Colt Government XSE for several years now, and it has never given me a problem. I would buy the XSE Commander in a heartbeat. What a steel 1911 gives up in weight, it gains in concealability. You can put it in a Milt Sparks Summer Special and it disappears under a loose shirt. And it doesn't feel like a 2x4 stuffed in your waistband. But it is heavier. That's where a aluminum frame 1911 may be the ticket for you. But the 5" Government model I had, I carried all over the place. And with a proper belt/holster combo, it wasn't a problem. You could also get a Bobtail conversion like Dedpoet's gun. This will reduce any "printing" even more. I also shoot the 1911 better due to its single action trigger. Like another poster said, I go back and forth between the 2. Depending on what I feel like that day. If you go with a quality 1911, you shouldn't have any problems. I like Colts. But Kimber and Springfield make good production guns and will stand behind them. If you have more money, than go for a Les Baer, Ed Brown, or a Wilson. Buy a case of ammo and run the gun in good. Its is not a Glock, parts need to wear in and seat. After a case of ammo, you can be confident all is well. I'd also invest in some Wilson Combat magazines, I've had good luck with them. I'd invest in a reloading press if you shoot alot. .45acp is expensive to buy new, quite a huge price difference compared to 9mm.

dojpros
07-20-08, 13:08
It is my understanding that the p7m8 is out of production. New magazines and parts are becoming very difficult to obtain and nearly all repairs require a trip back to HK which may or may not pay shipping one or both ways and they may or may not get it fixed in the next quarter or two. Its manual of arms is completely unique and does not easily tranlate into other platforms.

Having said that, If one was sold on the platform and willing to make a mid 4 figure investment in a primary weapon, a secondary weapon and perhaps a third one, along with as many parts as one could get ahold of, It would be a choice one could make. I know that they have very little felt recoil, are very accurate and can be manipulated very rapidly given the interface between the squeeze cocker and the weapon when shot to slide lock. They conceal well in a good holster (which almost always has to be custom made). Many love the platform with very good reason despite its quirks.

As always YMMV.

tinman44
07-20-08, 14:51
i'm looking at les baer's myself

edit: nope no les baer for me, i'm back to shopping, thinking of springfield now.

Beat Trash
07-20-08, 15:29
I owned both a K9 (sold to a friend who still owns it) and MK9.

My one and only issue was magazine related and fairly weird! From time to time, I'd be going about my normal bid-ness when...I'd here a funny clunk from my left side. The first time it happened, I was like "what the..???".

The top round would pop out of the magazine! A few times, when I was wearing a double Galco mag pouch, the loose round ended up on the floor!

It only happened with Kahr mags, too!

I love the Kahr line of guns. I'd buy my old K9 back from my friend IF he'd sell it...BUT, the scum moved out of state and it'd cost me an extra $50+ to get it back!

I have had this happen with a Kahr PM9 I own. I carry a spare factory mag in my weak side pocket. I was in a crowd at a zoo when I felt something inside of the pocket. Within a 15 minute period, three rounds popped out of the magazine.

When asked about this, Kahr came up with some BS answer, and sent me a free magazine. This will happen with all three of my magazines if I do alot of walking.

As a side note, I only carry the Kahr during those times I really don't want to appear armed, or I'm really feeling lazy. I can carry my Glock 19 concealed in a Blade Tec IWB holster (The UCH "Tuckable" holster) even during the muggy SW OHio summers. I have MUCH more faith in my ability to put rounds on target under stress with my Glock 19 than my PM9.

I bought a S&W 642 (yes it has the lock...) to replace the one I sold to buy the Kahr. Haven't started carrying it yet.

I am a big 1911 fan, and I still own a few. But it's hard to beat the Glock 19 for a daily CCW gun. The S&W M&P's are making me shelve my G19 more and more, as I have been carrying a full size M&P for alittle over 2 years.

To the OP, the best thing I think you could do would be to borrow a 1911 and holster, just for a day. Try to CCW it for 8+ hours. Then ask yourself if you really want to change from your Glock 19 to a 1911.

Both guns are good, and alot of folks have carried both a Glock 19 and a 1911 into harms way and survived. It all will depend on which gun you are most comfortable carrying so that it's available when needed, and which gun YOU can shoot most effectively under stress...

G34Shooter
07-20-08, 18:54
Glocks and a nice 1911, you can't go wrong :D

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/G34Shooter/IMG621.jpg

HeadHunter
07-20-08, 21:54
I have run into the same issue with rounds ejecting from Kahr magazines.

The only solution I found was to only use mag carriers that were designed for the Kahr magazine. A number of manufacturers say that their single stack mag pouches/carriers can be used for the Kahr. It's not so; they are too long front to back and allow the magazine to rock back and forth slightly. That guarantees that rounds will come out eventually.

I have several mag pouches that were purpose built for the Kahr; the rounds never come out of them.

old grunt
07-21-08, 12:12
G34...NICE picture...I think it says it all!! Have BOTH, just make sure that 1911 is either box-stock reliable(like NEW production guns should be)or worked ONLY by competent 1911 gunsmiths. I would add that a nice Smith Airweight J-frame(preferably pre-lock,NO MIM parts)rounds out either auto as a BUG!! SAVAGES BEWARE!!:D

G34Shooter
07-21-08, 16:57
G34...NICE picture...I think it says it all!! Have BOTH, just make sure that 1911 is either box-stock reliable(like NEW production guns should be)or worked ONLY by competent 1911 gunsmiths. I would add that a nice Smith Airweight J-frame(preferably pre-lock,NO MIM parts)rounds out either auto as a BUG!! SAVAGES BEWARE!!:D

I may pick up an airweight as well someday... :D

warrior9504
07-23-08, 05:46
So I did end up buying a 1911. I picked up a slightly used Springfield Champion (their Commander-size) Loaded in Stainless Steel. Really nice gun. After one horrible range session (3 FTEs per mag) I sent it back to Springfield to test out their "free" lifetime warranty.

Well, this is one "free warranty" that actually lives up to its name. They paid the tab for ALL shipping, polished the feed ramp, tweaked the barrel, and installed a new extractor for $0.00

Now the gun shoots like a dream. Handles the recoil well...and REALLY accurate. My Glock is still my primary carry option (I had a grip chop, reduction to G26 size) but I like owning a 1911, it is a classic and it gives me an option to carry a bigger caliber if I want. Plus it has way more "Holy Sh!t" factor than a glock!!!

Hawgleg44
07-23-08, 23:56
In the warmer weather, I carry a small Glock (either a 23 or 27) or a S&W J or K-frame, but as soon as it's cool enough so I'm wearing a flannel shirt, I prefer carrying my 1911, but that wasn't always the case.

My first 1911 was a base grade Springfield 1911-A1. It was a decent gun, but it needed some custom work. Then, I tried a Colt Series 70 with about the same results as the Springfield, but it was less reliable. Then came a Springfield SS V10-45 ported compact. Unreliable with anything but ball ammo and the accuracy just wasn't there. Next came one of the best 1911's I ever owned, a Colt 1991-A1. It was reliable with any ammo I fed it (usually my own cast bullet reloads) and was accurate with a good trigger. The only problem I had was with my huge hands. Without a beavertail grip safety, I get hammer bit sometimes. So, when S&W came out with their 1911's and the full-size SS version became MA "compliant", I traded the 1991-A1 towards one. Big mistake. It was an early one and it would only go "bang" about half the time due to the grip safety issues they had early on. I've read that S&W has corrected the grip safety issues now though. I traded it for something, but I can't remember what it was.

Now, I found something rare in MA, a nice Kimber 1911. I traded into a Classic Stainless Target LE and couldn't be happier. It's 100% reliable with any ammo I feed it (ball, cast bullet reloads, or JHP) and shoots one ragged hole if I do my part.

If money got tight and I had to sell off all but one of my handguns, my Kimber would be my one and only, and I'd just get a good IWB holster for it. Even the less expensive than most Bianchi Model 100 IWB makes the Kimber disappear when wearing just shorts and a tank top in the summer. Although they are very ugly, I like my 10 Glocks due to their reliability, ease of detail stripping with next to no tools, durability, practical accuracy, tons of accessories, etc, but I absolutly love my Kimber.

A friend of mine bought one of the early Scandium Commander S&W 1911's I don't have any of the grip safety issues I had with my early S&W 1911, and it's just as accurate as a full size, at least in my experiences. And, even though it's very light, it handles recoil very well. It's downright mild to shoot. I tried to get him to sell it to me before he moved out of MA to a free state, but he wouldn't part with it. I've been kicking around the idea of picking one of them up, though.

Glad to hear you got your 1911. Enjoy.