PDA

View Full Version : Is a fixed A1 stock lighter than a collapsing design?

dorchester
12-30-13, 08:44
Is the A1 stock typically lighter than the VLTOR (for instance) collapsing type? I know the difference will be mere ounces (how many...) but I am curious and don't have the parts lying around to weigh them. I recognize this is kind of a general question, considering how many different stocks there are and I know the buffers will affect the final number, but those I know the weights of. Thanks, fellow weight watchers.

ra2bach
12-30-13, 11:57
Is the A1 stock typically lighter than the VLTOR (for instance) collapsing type? I know the difference will be mere ounces (how many...) but I am curious and don't have the parts lying around to weigh them. I recognize this is kind of a general question, considering how many different stocks there are and I know the buffers will affect the final number, but those I know the weights of. Thanks, fellow weight watchers.

not in my experience. but the weight difference is in the part of the gun that is least critical for that to be an issue. if you're talking about overall weight, yes, but weight near the muzzle is generally more noticeable...

dorchester
12-31-13, 10:05
THE SHORT ANSWER: The collapsing stock can easily be made a quarter pound lighter than the fixed stock.
Some data I've managed to come up with. A1 stock with all hardware, spring, rifle buffer, and receiver extension tube in place = 22.7 ounces . VLTOR stock with all the stuff and a carbine buffer = 24 ounces. Same VLTOR setup minus the rubber recoil pad 22 ounces. Lightweight plastic buttstock and similar carbine internals = 18 ounces. Adjust accordingly for different buffer weights of course.
So the answer seems to be the difference between an A-1 stock and a collapsing design runs from 1.3 ounces heavier to an equal weight and up to perhaps 4.7 ounces lighter. The weight of the plastic slider being the controlling factor if weight alone is the criteria.