PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Police requiring all officers to register all firearms, even their off duty

AlphaKoncepts
12-30-13, 12:06
Anyone else hear the news that the Chicago Police Department is requiring their officers to register all of their personal firearms?

The other day, the Chicago Police Department issued an order to all sworn department members stating "Sworn members will register all duty and nonduty firearms with the Department" ( http://directives.chicagopolice.org/directives/data/a7a57be2-12ce0ca3-81d12-ce0c-aae3aeb1a519d78b.pdf?hl=true ) Section II H This means to me, that as a condition of employment, all police officers must register all firearms with the city. Mind you, any duty related handguns have been registered in the past, but now it's all of their firearms.

I am willing to bet 98% of the officers are transferring ownership of their firearms to their spouse and/or next of kin right now.

Xsail
12-30-13, 13:35
I bet they are! Thank God we have this clause in our Constitution: "No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incident
of the right to keep and bear arms." I'm in a fight right now over the "city" putting firearm restrictions on city employees in violation of our Constitution....O.L.

AlphaKoncepts
12-30-13, 14:20
Like Feinstein said "Just pass it and let the courts decide if it is constitutional."

jwreck
12-30-13, 17:33
Oh no!!! How terrible! How dare they treat police officers like regular everyday citizens!!

http://youtu.be/VKcAYMb5uk4

Voodoo_Man
12-30-13, 17:47
Lots of big city departments require you to write down what firearms you own, so the department knows.

It is, however, unenforceable.

AlphaKoncepts
12-30-13, 18:38
Oh no!!! How terrible! How dare they treat police officers like regular everyday citizens!!
The citizen registry was abolished earlier this year, so as of right now it's only police officers needing to register.

AlphaKoncepts
12-30-13, 18:38
Lots of big city departments require you to write down what firearms you own, so the department knows.

It is, however, unenforceable.

What possible purpose can it serve for the department to know what the officers keep at home in their safes?

Voodoo_Man
12-30-13, 18:45
What possible purpose can it serve for the department to know what the officers keep at home in their safes?

None at all, and as I said its unenforceable. So an officer buys a firearm and doesn't register it, worst case scenario the department fires him. He will not only get his job back but eventually force the department to delete that policy.

My dept does it, no one registers them all.

SeriousStudent
12-30-13, 19:02

So the chiefs can be envious of what the indians have? :cool:

GotAmmo
12-30-13, 20:33
Honestly, it's Chicago... why exhaust yourself trying to make sense of what crazy shtuff they come up with.

_Stormin_
12-30-13, 20:47
Honestly, it's Chicago... why exhaust yourself trying to make sense of what crazy shtuff they come up with.

Mostly the above...

They probably view it as any firearm owned by an officer is potentially one that could end up in an officer involves shooting. There may be insurance reasons, or other non-nefarious issues at hand. Or they could just be building a registry of firearms and making it a police issue first, then expanding to other city job families under the auspices of "safety" happens. Nobody knows, but it looks to be something they can't enforce anyway. My employer has me update my vehicle, and plate number with them, even though I don't drive for work. I think they still have my car from '06 on file...

Sent using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Dmaynor
12-30-13, 20:55
I'm happy to see the gander getting what the goose does. You want to get rid of stupid gun control laws...force cops to follow them.

thebarracuda
12-30-13, 22:29
Living only 4hrs south of the great sucking void that is Chicago, this seems like just another experiment to see how much tyranny will be tolerated. This is how it works in IL; if you can't impose your will on the whole population, pick a group, any group, separate it from the rest of the state's citizens, and start imposing your will. If this group chooses to scream and fight, back off slightly until resistance lessens or court order strikes it down. If your new tyrannical dream is somehow well received, increase regulations and requirements until amount of screaming and fighting or court order forces a slight retreat. Move on to the next group. And so on... Its conditioning the populace one small group at a time. Much easier and more effective. And always done under cover of "safety" or "it could be used for education."

AlphaKoncepts
12-30-13, 22:45
Living only 4hrs south of the great sucking void that is Chicago, this seems like just another experiment to see how much tyranny will be tolerated. This is how it works in IL; if you can't impose your will on the whole population, pick a group, any group, separate it from the rest of the state's citizens, and start imposing your will. If this group chooses to scream and fight, back off slightly until resistance lessens or court order strikes it down. If your new tyrannical dream is somehow well received, increase regulations and requirements until amount of screaming and fighting or court order forces a slight retreat. Move on to the next group. And so on... Its conditioning the populace one small group at a time. Much easier and more effective. And always done under cover of "safety" or "it could be used for education."MY brain patterns were very much along these same lines. In other words I am thinking what you are thinking.