PDA

View Full Version : THE HEAD STAMP THREAD

SWThomas
12-30-13, 14:49
I'm curious about a few head stamps I came across sorting brass today. I figured I would make a thread and maybe we can all offer info about certain head stamps. Like who makes them and if there are any known issues with a particular head stamp. I know there's a list decoding head stamps out there but it doesn't offer first hand insight from someone who has used them.

Here's what I got. These are all 223 and 5.56 cases.

- FC 223 REM (I've read multiple times that Federal brass sucks)
- RP 223 REM
- MAL 5.56 12-84
- L C 7 6
- PSD 13
- PMC 223 REM
- WCC 12

Any input on the quality of these cases would be great. Any other info, like if they're crimped, would be good too.

Feel free to list anything I didn't post and give your experience with it. This isn't 223 specific.

Ryno12
12-30-13, 14:58
http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=headstampcodes

Sent via Tapatalk

SWThomas
12-30-13, 20:05
http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=headstampcodes

Sent via Tapatalk

Yup, I've seen that. Doesn't really answer my questions though.

Ryno12
12-30-13, 21:49
Yup, I've seen that. Doesn't really answer my questions though.
So besides this.... VVV

...I figured I would make a thread and maybe we can all offer info about certain head stamps. Like who makes them...
Feel free to list anything I didn't post...
...I thought maybe there might be a chance that other people, who might come across this thread, would be interested in the origin or other information available at that site with regards to head stamps. I realize that it didn't answer all your questions. My apologies, I guess I misunderstood what you meant by: "I figured I would make a thread and maybe we can all offer info about certain head stamps."

Sent via Tapatalk

SWThomas
12-31-13, 06:53
No problem. Your contribution is appreciated. I any info is good info.

SWThomas
01-05-14, 14:17
I scored a bunch of range brass today. A lot of 223. Anyone have experience with these head stamps???

- Tulammo 223 Rem

- GFL 223 Rem

HackerF15E
01-05-14, 16:08
I scored a bunch of range brass today. A lot of 223. Anyone have experience with these head stamps???

- Tulammo 223 Rem

- GFL 223 Rem

If those are both brass, the they're both from the same maker, Fiocchi.

In my experience with GFL, it tends to have off-center primer flash holes.

SWThomas
01-05-14, 16:41
Yup they're both brass.

markm
01-07-14, 15:43
In my experience with GFL, it tends to have off-center primer flash holes.

BIG TIME! I've not noticed a terrible impact on ammo from this, but it's pretty bad.

As far as FC brass. I don't have problems with is. Just run it til the pockets get loose and scrap it.

SWThomas
01-08-14, 10:32
BIG TIME! I've not noticed a terrible impact on ammo from this, but it's pretty bad.

As far as FC brass. I don't have problems with is. Just run it til the pockets get loose and scrap it.

I only have a few of those GFL pieces, so I'll just toss them.

I've got a bunch of the FC stuff so I'll use it until it's unuseable.

markm
01-08-14, 12:25
I only have a few of those GFL pieces, so I'll just toss them.

I've got a bunch of the FC stuff so I'll use it until it's unuseable.

Nothing wrong with the GFL. I run em. They don't snag my decap pins, and they function fine for bulk ammo.

aklaunch
01-12-14, 21:06
I won't reload ammo that i have not purchased and shot out of my own rifle.

Seems some high round fella's have no problem doing this.

Me.....

I take it very seriously that i am creating a 50-60,000psi explosion right in front of my face.

That stuff could have been fired 10 times already. Likely not, but do you know????

Then you need to reload it yourself a few times to get the load dialed in.

1 cracked barrel, even without injury is the same price as boxes and boxes of winchester factory brass.

I am a wierdo though.....

But careful.

A cracked barrel is highly unlikely for obvious reasons.

But......

markm
01-13-14, 09:42

Me.....

I take it very seriously that i am creating a 50-60,000psi explosion right in front of my face.

That stuff could have been fired 10 times already. Likely not, but do you know????

You know when you have to take the primer crimp off... Once fired.

And even if A piece of 10 fired brass gets into my rotation... the worst case scenario is that it separates. No harm done. I've trashed a few pieces of brass where I could feel excess resizing going on. Next clue is loose primer pockets.

patrol120
01-13-14, 19:53

Me.....

Then you need to reload it yourself a few times to get the load dialed in.

1 cracked barrel, even without injury is the same price as boxes and boxes of winchester factory brass.

I am a wierdo though.....

But careful.

A cracked barrel is highly unlikely for obvious reasons.

But......

I have brass that I fired new, and have ten loads on, and I have brass that I picked up that might have ten loads on it already...could not care less either way. I sure dont obsess over it. If a piece lets go, it lets go..not a big deal.