PDA

View Full Version : P226 Navy unusual wear, help!

KingCobra
12-31-13, 02:13
Today while cleaning it I flipped the frame to remove some carbon and I noticed that I have some unusual wear on my frame. I started googling around to see if others have had this issue but I can't seem to find anybody with similar wear patterns.

I have small groves on the uderside of both frame rails about an inch from the front. the right side(looking down the sights) is deeper and longer then the left side. I'm not sure what has caused this. I have always lubed the rails before shooting.

Did I do something wrong to cause this? I checked the slide for burrs and there are non visible...

iLift45s
12-31-13, 06:13
The manual says to use TW-25B grease! Bruce Gray says Sigs need to be lubed with grease! I've had 3 pistols worked over by him. Those and all my other autos now get TW-25B grease on the rails.

I'd be calling Sig.

Psalms144.1
12-31-13, 07:18
KC - that's not "unusual" wear for classic Sigs at all, in fact it looks pretty light, if it's just finish wear. The finish will wear down a lot more than that before the pistols is finally "broken in." If you're losing actual metal (e.g. there are scratches or grooves showing), then you might have a problem, and Sig would need to fix it; it would be just about impossible for anyone to diagnose based on pictures on the internet.

You did NOT do anything wrong. If Sig is actually MANDATING that you have to use a specific brand of a specific type of lube on their rails for their pistols to work correctly, shame on them.

Regards,

Kevin

Code3Patriot
12-31-13, 07:35
As others have stated, that's nothing.

Go to a PD or SO range and check out their high round count Sigs if you want to see real wear on frame rails.

I carried a P226 and a P226R on the job for ten years before getting injured and pulling the plug; shot the crap out of both duty weapons all ten years and never once used TW-25B on them.

Darkwood1
12-31-13, 07:43
That seems to be where Sig's show their wear. Yours does not look that bad. I've owned a number of Sigs and shot them a lot. Mine all show finish wear here as well. As was mentioned here, I would use a good grease on the rails instead of oil.

Also, the Nitron finish Sig uses on the newer (stainless machined) slides seems to be a bit abrasive and will wear the anodizing off the frame sooner than the older carbon steel slides thus using s good grease is the best plan.

pat701
12-31-13, 08:52
Normal wear.

ShipWreck
12-31-13, 09:34
Sho nuff. I wouldn't worry about it.

KingCobra
12-31-13, 11:53
I was just worried because the right side has a small grove, maybe like .004 deep, hard to tell because I couldn't get a gauge in there. I was unaware sig mandated greases be used, I just reverted to that good ole' Marine training and CLP'd the mess out of it.

glad to see its normal! looks like I'll be getting some ammo and pushing it towards 2000 rounds >:D

Joe R.
12-31-13, 12:35
Normal wear, and using the TW25B will not make it any better, or worse.

thespaceghost
12-31-13, 14:52
Yep-you are down to only 30 or 50 thousand more rounds through that gun before the rest of the finish wears off.

SkiDevil
12-31-13, 23:20
What the others have said is correct, wear at those points is typical. If the pistol is still relatively new, then I would suggest checking during you regular cleanings for any sharp edges or burrs developing on the slide or frame. After owning half-a dozen P-series Classic SIGs, I have seen twice on a 220 and once with a 226, where a sharp burr developed on the slide or frame. A small file or sand paper solved the problem.

Although it problaby isn't necessary, I use grease and oil on all of my SIGs. It seems to hold up better than just oil alone. I prefer RIG grease but have used TW25 as well.

The 226 is a great pistol, I hope that you enjoy yours.

I liked my 226 Navy soo much that I bought 2 spares. :D

SiGfever
01-01-14, 09:47
I too am a fan of the "Navy". The Hogue's are long gone sitting in a drawer. This one only has about three thousand rounds through it, still breaking it in. :D

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/363/img0319large.jpg

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6643/img0316large.jpg

weggy
01-01-14, 13:52
I was just worried because the right side has a small grove, maybe like .004 deep, hard to tell because I couldn't get a gauge in there. I was unaware sig mandated greases be used, I just reverted to that good ole' Marine training and CLP'd the mess out of it.

glad to see its normal! looks like I'll be getting some ammo and pushing it towards 2000 rounds >:D

You must be new Corp All we had was Lubriplate and WD-40.;)

Rowland_P
01-01-14, 18:25
Those marks aren't caused by burs. They are caused by a "step" on the top surface of the bottom slide rail -the rail that rides in the groove on the frame. The groove on the slide is ever so slightly wider near the front of the slide than it is towards the rear. The step is about a 2/3rds of an inch back from the front. It is very hard to see but a fiber optic light and a magnifier will show it well.

Grease will not prevent that wear. But it will only get so bad then stop. I was able to arrest the worsening of the wear on a P229 by working a dremel polishing disc back and forth inside the slide. It takes a helluva lot of elbow grease to do, but I was able to polish the edge of the step sufficiently that the worsening of the wear ceased.

fivestar51
01-02-14, 08:40
Looks normal to me as well. I use Slide Guide medium on all of my Sig's, Beretta's, and Colt's. Regular oil for my Glock's.