PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Chart

eperk
12-31-13, 10:02
I have seen a chart on the number of times .223 or 5.56 brass of varying headstamps can be reloaded before they need to be discarded. Can't remember where it was. This particular chart used around 12 different brass manufacturers fired from the same weapon and processed the same way.
If I remember correctly Federal was at the low end and Lapua had the most number of reloads.
Does anyone here have a link to that info?

opsoff1
12-31-13, 11:42
I honestly almost spit my coffee out when I read this. If you do get the chart, please write across the top in big bold black letters; "MY RESULTS MAY VARY - CONSIDERABLY" Please don't go by anything like that. There are so many variables that publishing something like that is borderline negligent.

eperk
12-31-13, 12:26
I understand what you're saying. This goes more to the quality of the brass than anything else. Ie. When do the necks start to split, using the same headspace when does case separation start to show/ Etc. Tests were done after several firings and this particular chart had pics of longitudinal cross sctions. Very helpful. I know first hand that Lapua lasts longer than say Federal or PMC loaded to the same pressures. Still looking for that chart.

markm
01-07-14, 15:53
Not sure what this would be good for....

I have like 10 gallons of brass in rotation, and I just mix it all together exept for 2 kind that have radically different internal case volume.

It became too much to manage brass flavors and number of firings... so I just cull when I hand prime and find weak/loose pockets. Other than that... forget it.

eperk
01-07-14, 19:37
Not sure what this would be good for....

I have like 10 gallons of brass in rotation, and I just mix it all together exept for 2 kind that have radically different internal case volume.

It became too much to manage brass flavors and number of firings... so I just cull when I hand prime and find weak/loose pockets. Other than that... forget it. I know what you're saying. I keep track of number of firings. The chart I'm looking for is more out of curiosity than anything else. I still can't find the darn thing. As far as case volume, my brother has a computer program that's pretty handy for accuracy. You measure case volume in water, input your powder, temp and bullet, as well as barrel length and it will spit out how many grains you should use to make sure the compression wave is at the receiver and not the barrel. It will also calculate bullet velocity and is usually within 20-30 fps.