PDA

View Full Version : Question re: One Piece cleaning Rod

SigFanM4
12-31-13, 15:19
I have a Dewey one piece cleaning rod which I thought was for .22 cal. It fits down the bore of my AR by itself, but I cannot get it through with a patch on the end. It will barely get past the barrel extension. The patches are Tipton cotton patches for .22 cal (1.125" sq.) . Am I doing something wrong or is it possible they sent the wrong diameter rod? I don't see any markings on the rod or handle to indicate the caliber.

Iraqgunz
12-31-13, 15:39
That's because you aren't doing it correctly. You are supposed to insert the rod until it passes the flash hider and then put the patch on, and pull it through the barrel.

I have a Dewey one piece cleaning rod which I thought was for .22 cal. It fits down the bore of my AR by itself, but I cannot get it through with a patch on the end. It will barely get past the barrel extension. The patches are Tipton cotton patches for .22 cal (1.125" sq.) . Am I doing something wrong or is it possible they sent the wrong diameter rod? I don't see any markings on the rod or handle to indicate the caliber.

buckjay
12-31-13, 16:27
Wording

SigFanM4
12-31-13, 16:40
That's because you aren't doing it correctly. You are supposed to insert the rod until it passes the flash hider and then put the patch on, and pull it through the barrel.

Thanks. In all the videos I saw on YouTube, no one did it that way. Never would have occurred to me.

T2C
12-31-13, 16:41
If you are using a slotted patch jag, push the rod through the barrel from muzzle to chamber, insert a patch in the jag slot then pull the patch through chamber to muzzle. Remove the patch after it has been pulled through the barrel, then repeat.

Be careful around the muzzle crown when inserting the rod.

Iraqgunz
12-31-13, 17:07
Most people will tell you that you should not insert a rod through the muzzle end. So that means you either use a GI type rod and drop it from the receiver to the muzzle and pull it through, or you insert the rod through the chamber and then put the tip on and pull it through.

If you are using a slotted patch jag, push the rod through the barrel from muzzle to chamber, insert a patch in the jag slot then pull the patch through chamber to muzzle. Remove the patch after it has been pulled through the barrel, then repeat.

Be careful around the muzzle crown when inserting the rod.

SkipD
12-31-13, 17:09
I have a Dewey one piece cleaning rod which I thought was for .22 cal. It fits down the bore of my AR by itself, but I cannot get it through with a patch on the end. It will barely get past the barrel extension. The patches are Tipton cotton patches for .22 cal (1.125" sq.) . Am I doing something wrong or is it possible they sent the wrong diameter rod? I don't see any markings on the rod or handle to indicate the caliber.What are you using for holding the patch?

What I use is this rod and patch jag (https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_60_66&product_id=69). The rod measures about .210" diameter.

I also use this rod guide (https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=109_118&product_id=464) and do all of my rod work from the breech end of the AR upper.

pat701
12-31-13, 17:23
Call them and they will send you a new one free of charge.

T2C
12-31-13, 18:09
Most people will tell you that you should not insert a rod through the muzzle end. So that means you either use a GI type rod and drop it from the receiver to the muzzle and pull it through, or you insert the rod through the chamber and then put the tip on and pull it through.

I won't use a GI cleaning rod. I cleaned my match rifles from chamber to muzzle for years and it is a good recommendation if a person is not attentive to the muzzle crown when cleaning. My Dewey cleaning rod has exposed threads without the jag attached, so I gently guide the slotted tip jag through the muzzle. If a person pushes the patch through, they need to be very careful about not dinging the muzzle crown when pulling the rod back through.

After seeing the picture of what the OP is using, I would suggest pushing as well. If the OP did not already have the Dewey rod and wanted a recommendation for cleaning equipment, I would have suggested purchasing an Otis cleaning kit.

OP, try finding Hoppe's .22 cleaning patches. They are thinner and slicker than what you are using. Either that or have someone show you how to wrap a cleaning patch around the jag you are using.

c3006
12-31-13, 18:48
I use nothing but Dewey,I clean from the breech with a chamber guide and use the pointed Dewey jag with 3/4" patches. Sometimes I get lazy and don't hunt my guide and I've done it enuf till I can thread it right to the end of the chamber without ever touching the sides. I'm pretty faithfull to clean after every firing even thou I don't think its necessary with most Amo.