PDA

View Full Version : "OH $#@&!" moments in CCW

halo2304
12-31-13, 20:03
Today I had an "OH $#@&!" moment regarding CCW. I was looking through my wallet this morning when I pulled out my CCW permit and noticed the expiration date: 3/8/2013. Worried, I pulled everything out of my wallet thinking maybe, for some reason, I had found my old one. Nope. I've been carrying all that time with an expired permit! :suicide: I went down to my issuing authority hoping all I needed to do was fill out the form, pay the $35 fee and wait. Nope. Turns out I have to retake the CCW class because it had been more than five years since I last took it. If I had renewed my permit before March, I wouldn't have to. About a year ago, I had to go down to change my address because I had moved, still within the city. For some reason, I was thinking I had more time. Live and learn.

Anyone else have similar experiences they'd like to share?

Moose-Knuckle
12-31-13, 20:55
Anyone else have similar experiences they'd like to share?

Nope, here in TX it takes time for that particular branch of the state government to process and distribute new licenses they do mail out notices reminding you that your license is going to expire. I’m Johnny on the Spot with my paperwork as I do not want to have it lapse.

halo2304
12-31-13, 21:04
A reminder would be awesome but that's asking too much. The last time I renewed, I remembered. This time, not so much.

joe138
12-31-13, 21:28
In Indiana there is a lifetime permit available.

CLHC
12-31-13, 22:02
Here in Washington State the Original License Fee ($36.00) + FBI Fingerprint Fee ($16.50) for Concealed Pistol License is $52.50. I was late in renewing my CPL and paid the Late Renewal & Late Penalty Fee of $42.00. Renewal Fee is $32.00. Took five (5) days to receive the license by mail and it's good for five (5) years. Also there are no renewal letters for the CPL since it's the individual's responsibility to keep track of it.

Heavy Metal
12-31-13, 22:13
If you use Outlook, you can go to future dates and set yourself a reminder as an appointment.

ST911
01-01-14, 00:00
Under existing law you certainly have to own that oversight. I hope it works out for you promptly.

What a great example of why training and regulatory processes due in fact create an infringement, and the benefits of constitutional carry.

HD1911
01-01-14, 01:00
Under existing law you certainly have to own that oversight. I hope it works out for you promptly.

What a great example of why training and regulatory processes due in fact create an infringement, and the benefits of constitutional carry.

If only more folks saw it that way... *sigh*

SteyrAUG
01-01-14, 01:06

If we had TRUE "constitutional carry" I'd probably have a slung MP5 with me constantly.

We are a long way off from the days when men wore swords, carried pistols in their belt and had a Kentucky rifle in their hands and it was deemed as normal as having a horse.

jpmuscle
01-01-14, 01:59
As primitive as life must have been then aside it must have been glorious just the same.

And x2 on the MP5 lol

Sent from my DROID X2

Bolt_Overide
01-01-14, 04:50
If we had TRUE "constitutional carry" I'd probably have a slung m60 with me constantly.

We are a long way off from the days when men wore swords, carried pistols in their belt and had a Kentucky rifle in their hands and it was deemed as normal as having a horse.

Took the liberty of fixing that for ya.

J-Dub
01-01-14, 22:11
What is this "permit" you speak of? Don't have one, don't need one, don't want one.

kwelz
01-02-14, 00:36
At the public range with my then wife and our friend teaching them both to shoot.

Shooting mostly handguns with a rifle or two.

DNR officer pulls up and tells us that sunday shooting isn't allowed. Asked if we had seen the sign. So we all look around and realized that some morons had shot it out. We laugh about it but he says I still should have known. He just asks to see my CCW because of the pistols and I will be on my way.

When I pull out my CCW we realize that like the OP it had been expired for some months. Things started to go bad at this point.

Thankfully he was a fairly reasonable officer. He essentially writes me up a summons for a felony. I don't remember the exact details honestly but I think it was something like a class D felony.
He did tell me however that if I showed him proof on monday that I had gone down and applied for a new permit that he would take care of things. Needless to say that first thing monday morning I was at the sheriffs office.

Magic_Salad0892
01-02-14, 02:15
At the public range with my then wife and our friend teaching them both to shoot.

DNR officer pulls up and tells us that sunday shooting isn't allowed. Asked if we had seen the sign. So we all look around and realized that some morons had shot it out. We laugh about it but he says I still should have known. He just asks to see my CCW because of the pistols and I will be on my way.

When I pull out my CCW we realize that like the OP it had been expired for some months. Things started to go bad at this point.

Thankfully he was a fairly reasonable officer. He essentially writes me up a summons for a felony. I don't remember the exact details honestly but I think it was something like a class D felony.
He did tell me however that if I showed him proof on monday that I had gone down and applied for a new permit that he would take care of things. Needless to say that first thing monday morning I was at the sheriffs office.

That sounds terrifying.

Moose-Knuckle
01-02-14, 02:39
DNR officer pulls up and tells us that sunday shooting isn't allowed.

He essentially writes me up a summons for a felony.

WTF?! It is illegal to shoot on a Sunday in Indiana? You have to have a handgun permit just to shoot at a range otherwise its felony possession?

kwelz
01-02-14, 02:52
WTF?! It is illegal to shoot on a Sunday in Indiana? You have to have a handgun permit just to shoot at a range otherwise its felony possession?

Public range run by DNR. Their range their rules. Essentially with the range being closed that day I was (Unknowingly) shooting and carrying on public land.

And yes. It was ****ing terrifying. Drive almost an hour to meet up with him and show him the proof that I had submitted the application to renew my permit (Lifetime now) And he tore everything up on the spot.

For the record I never go to that range anymore. Not because of this incident but because doing so when there are people there is essentially taking your life into your own hands. This was the same range where a guy had a New England arms Shotgun with the grip cut down to pistol sized and the barrel sawed off to about 6 inches.

Also the range where I once saw people get out of their car and open fire downrange from the parking lot. But these are stories for a whole different thread.

halo2304
01-02-14, 14:07

I certainly do own my oversight. At the time though, I was knee deep in my final two classes, earning my Bachelors degree.

I wish we had Constitutional carry.

Saginaw79
01-02-14, 14:12
Wouldn't it be great if we lived in the Land of the Free, wouldn't have to worry about nonsense like permits. We should move to America! :(

halo2304
01-02-14, 14:17

DNR? Also, are you sure it was a felony and not a misdemeanor? I would think that if it were a felony you would've been arrested on the spot.

kwelz
01-02-14, 14:42
DNR? Also, are you sure it was a felony and not a misdemeanor? I would think that if it were a felony you would've been arrested on the spot.

Yep Department of Natural resource officers have arrest authority. I should also mention that the range is located in the state forestry so this is their home turf.

Powers and duties of conservation officers
Sec. 16. (a) A conservation officer of the division:
(1) has all necessary police powers to enforce the natural resources laws; and
(2) may, without warrant, arrest a person for a violation of those laws when committed in the officer's presence.

I actually had to go check on the law. (Keep in mind this was in 07) Not quite sure what it means by saying that it is a Class A misdemeanor to do it but a Class 5 Felony for the offense. But I don't pretend to be a lawyer.

(e) A person who knowingly or intentionally violates this section commits a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Level 5 felony:

Abraxas
01-02-14, 15:20
Wouldn't it be great if we lived in the Land of the Free, wouldn't have to worry about nonsense like permits. We should move to America! :(

So very true.

Abraxas
01-02-14, 15:21
I would think that if it were a felony you would've been arrested on the spot.

Eh, not always. Most of the time, but a lot of factors can change that.

halo2304
01-02-14, 19:47
Yep Department of Natural resource officers have arrest authority. I should also mention that the range is located in the state forestry so this is their home turf.

Powers and duties of conservation officers
Sec. 16. (a) A conservation officer of the division:
(1) has all necessary police powers to enforce the natural resources laws; and
(2) may, without warrant, arrest a person for a violation of those laws when committed in the officer's presence.

I actually had to go check on the law. (Keep in mind this was in 07) Not quite sure what it means by saying that it is a Class A misdemeanor to do it but a Class 5 Felony for the offense. But I don't pretend to be a lawyer.

(e) A person who knowingly or intentionally violates this section commits a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Level 5 felony:

They sound like glorified game wardens. Sort of like Sanitation Engineers (aka garbage men.)

Eh, not always. Most of the time, but a lot of factors can change that.

I only took an intro to Criminology so... Also, I have seen a TON of Law & Order episodes. :cool: ;)

halo2304
01-02-14, 19:53
In my situation, I can still open carry but, since it's winter I'd have to wear a thigh rig down to my knee to clear my parka.

Magic_Salad0892
01-02-14, 23:31
Also, I have seen a TON of Law & Order episodes. :cool: ;)

Is your name Charlie Kelly?

halo2304
01-03-14, 18:20
Is your name Charlie Kelly?

Had to look that one up. Haha, no.

Magic_Salad0892
01-03-14, 18:31
Had to look that one up. Haha, no.

Watch the episode "Mac Is A Serial Killer". Lol.

Endur
01-03-14, 23:37

Was this the range in North Vernon? The one that takes forever to find? I went to that range a few months back.. I am surprised they even allow this place to be open, every single target stand was unusable as they were shot to hell and no form of safety whatsoever..

kwelz
01-04-14, 06:42
Was this the range in North Vernon? The one that takes forever to find? I went to that range a few months back.. I am surprised they even allow this place to be open, every single target stand was unusable as they were shot to hell and no form of safety whatsoever..

Nope. Henryville..

Endur
01-09-14, 03:13
Nope. Henryville..

No idea where that one is haha. Yeah the one I went to in NV was in Brown County and had lanes from I believe 5 yards out to 200 yards seperated by berms out in the middle of the woods. They had no range personnel and no way of tracking who comes and goes or who fires what there besides some piece of paper you fill out and drop in a drop box. I can only imagine the idiocracy that goes on there at times. On a lighter note, Brown County is a beautiful place and they have some decent trails.