PDA

View Full Version : Question....do you think the Aimpoint is co-witnessing?

TOrrock
09-10-06, 10:21
I realize that he's using a M4 with a removeable carry handle, but for people with A2 uppers, would this be a viable way to get an Aimpoint Comp ML3 to co-witness with the irons?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Afghanistan/Bones.jpg

Nitrox
09-10-06, 10:31
I'm not a fan of mounting to handguards but as long as that rail doesn't move then it should be fine.

I think I'd rather have an Aimpoint on one of those than a FF rail.

TOrrock
09-10-06, 20:04
Ok...what's the general consensus on goose neck mounts....if you don't have a rail on the rifle?

Robb Jensen
09-10-06, 20:15
Ok...what's the general consensus on goose neck mounts....if you don't have a rail on the rifle?

ARMS makes an okay one and so does Bennie Cooley. I'd much rather have a rail or flat top though.

cyclops
09-11-06, 12:26
Prior to the MATECH BUIS being issued in the Army this was the way a lot of Infantry units had their Joes mount the CCO in order to have instant Back ups.

It works, but I wouldn't mount optics on a forearm rail that wasn't connected directly to the upper reciever in one way or another.

M4arc
09-11-06, 13:29
Damn I love that photo!

VA_Dinger
09-11-06, 13:36
Bladerunner (AKA "The Colonel") has been running his EoTech this way for years. I have never seen it it bother him.

knightsar
09-11-06, 16:08
If it works for him I wouldn't question it. He looks like he deserves the benefit of the doubt. He has my respect.

LOKNLOD
09-11-06, 16:19
I can't imagine it would be much different than running a fixed BUIS like a LMT or Larue, just that the optic would be a few inches farther forward.

Harv
09-11-06, 16:29
I'm with Cyclops on this one.. you can do it that way and at CQB ranges or ranges out to 50-100M the POA/POI is probably not gonna matter much shooting Minute of Man with an Aimpoint/EOTech on a KAC RAS.

We would run PAC 4's on the KAC RAIL and the PEQ2A's as well and they hold zero well enough. The big Army always feels the need to have the Carry handle optics somewhere on the weapon vs. in your ruck/Gear. That's why we would see pics of the carry handles mounted on the 3 O'clock Rail. Just a convenient location on the weapon.

I've just not been a big fan of mounting optics that far forward regardless of what rail is out there. Having a Red dot optic centered around the Delta ring I think is the optimal location for the 90 percentile of shooters.

I also recommend a flat top, I took the hit and got rid of my Fixed A2 years ago so I don't have to mess with the whole Gooseneck/optic mounting headaches that the A2 provides. Go find a $100 Flat top upper and have your gunsmith swap it out and go sell your A2 upper on an exchange board.... that's what I did and never looked back...:D

Again were talking a 4 MOA CQB optic and not a 10X SPR shooting MK262 ammo;)