PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPQ M2 range review

jck397
01-01-14, 21:46
I recently picked up a Walther PPQ M2 from Bud's Gun Shop in Kentucky, and took it out this weekend to shoot it. Here's my initial impressions:

INITIAL INSPECTION
The gun comes in a fairly typical hard case with sliding closures on either side of the handle. I liked that it wasn't over-sized like the older M&P cases, or too small to be useful like the Glock cases. The inside is typical as well--foam cutouts, and mine was clearly cut for either the 4" or 5" models. One nice touch that I liked is that the foam on the bottom is less porous, and doesn't look like it would collect moisture as much as the typical foam used, which would make it a little better for storage.

As someone who is dealing with a Glock 20C that shoots almost 2" low at 3 yards, I was really happy to see the test target included. A little extra QC is a nice touch, and gives me a bit more confidence out of the gate.

The pistol itself was pretty dry when I got it, and had a bit of carbon from the test firing. I field stripped it, gave it a full cleaning, and lubed it.

PROS AND CONS OF THE PISTOL ITSELF
Pros
Size: I consider the G19 to the the ultimate pistol, size-wise, and use it as my baseline for comparing all other firearms. The pictures I've seen online make the PPQ look significantly larger than the G19, but in reality it is not. The slide is a touch taller, and the grip is a touch longer, so the extra length is distributed fairly well. With a magazine inserted in the G19, the frame heights are equal. The PPQ is almost exactly between the G17 and G19 in height with mags inserted, and about equal in height to a G17 with no magazine inserted.

Grip comfort: The grip itself is probably the most comfortable of any semi-automatic pistol I've ever held. The finger grooves are subtle, and, unlike Glock, perfectly placed (for me, at least, with my small to average hands). The PPQ comes with 3 choices for backstrap size, and the backstraps fit well and are held solidly in place with a coil roll pin. I was a little disappointed that Walther did not include a tool to remove the backstrap with the gun; I had to dig out a roll pin punch.

Trigger: This is where the PPQ shines. A lot of people have said it is the best trigger on any striker-fired pistol, and beats almost everything that's not a 1911 trigger. All those people are correct. The trigger is amazing. There is some pre-travel, but it is smooth, with almost no take-up, a clean break, and a very short, but positive reset. More on the benefits of the trigger in the shooting section.

Magazine release: I don't really like the paddle-style magazine releases, so I went with the M2 version with the button-style magazine release. The release is large enough to hit intuitively, and the pattern on it is positive enough to push without issue. The release doesn't take as much pressure to depress as a Glock or M&P, but holds the magazine firmly in place.

Slide stop lever: The ambidextrous slide stop levers are quite long--hitting it should intuitive for a shooter who is used to shooting any other popular brand of weapons, from SIG's to 1911's. The levers are slim enough to stay out of the way while shooting, but angled and lined in such a way that engagement is positive and I have no problems depressing them.

Cons
Grip texture: The grip is incredibly slippery, similar to the stippling (as opposed to checkering) on Gen. 2 and 3 Glocks.

Sights: The factory sights suck in almost every way possible. Made of polymer, they appear fragile and I assume they would quickly wear down due to holster wear. The front sight is slanted in such a way that light reflects off of it in an annoying manner to the shooter. The rear sight is drift adjustable, something I consider to be a hindrance on a fighting handgun because they are weaker than fixed sights. The rear sight does not look strong enough to survive racking the weapon on a belt, and has some minor play from finger pressure. The one thing Walther managed to get right with the sights is the size of the front sight and rear notch--it appears to be a .140 front and a .180 rear notch, which makes for a great sight picture.

Much like Glocks, I consider the PPQ sights to be fillers to meet ATF importation requirements that should be replaced with steel tritium options before any serious use.

Front slide serrations: I don't like them--just one more place to keep clean/collect lint/dirt/dust, etc., and I have gotten used to using the rear only to keep my hand away from the muzzle. This is a preference thing more than anything, and they really don't hurt anything, so it doesn't bother me too much. However, I don't like the way Walther put their logo right in the middle of the forward serrations on the left side of the weapon--makes for some fairly sharp edges where the serrations start and stop.

Lack of night sights/aftermarket parts source/holsters: The PPQ is a fairly new design and a bit of a niche gun at the moment, so holsters are not as readily available, there is essentially only two sources for spare parts, and night sight options are fairly weak at the moment, with Trijicon and Meprolight being the only mass-produced options, both of which are drift-adjustable like the factory sights are. Factory night sights are also available, although they are reported to be quite dim, and they, too, are adjustable. The good news is that Dawson has a sold option available with their Charger sights, and Trijicon will be bring HD sights to market soon. There are also rumblings about Ameriglo producing sights as soon as tooling is available some months in the future (fingers crossed!)

Not part of a "family" of guns: A huge benefit to the Glocks, M&P, and H&K's is the ability to have a full-size (or midsize) and compact pistol that share parts, magazines, and holsters. A G17/19/26, M&P full-size and compact, or H&K P2000/P2000 SK is a hard combination to beat, especially for different CCW options or primary/backup weapons for law enforcement. The Walther doesn't have this option, with the closest being the P99C or the PPS, neither of which is a true compact version of the PPQ. It would be nice if Walther would come out with a G26-sized version of the PPQ M2 to fill that gap while keeping magazine and holster compatibility.

SHOOTING
Wow.

Ammo Used
I fired 200 rounds--120 rounds of Speer Lawman 124 gr. FMJ, 50 rounds of Federal RTP9115 115 gr. FMJ, 20 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 147 gr. (which was pretty beat up from years of carry and multiple loadings/unloadings), and 10 rounds of Speer Lawman 115 gr. FMJ. The gun was boringly reliable, and ejection was consistent and strong between 3:00 and 4:00. Most of my spent cases ended up bouncing off the lane divider to my right and landing on the shelf in front of me at the indoor shooting range. I did have one 5:00 ejection and got donked in the head with one case, but it's possible that it bounced off the lane divider first, so I'm not worried about it.

Accuracy
It felt like I was cheating. I fired from 3 yards to 25 yards, and shot at a fairly decent pace (not slow fire, not mag dumps). I tried bulls-eye shooting, failure drills, and just shooting as fast as I accurately could at the A-Zone, and did better than I have with any other semi-automatic pistol. Hitting the quarter-sized 10 ring on bulls-eyes at 7 yards was easy and consistent, as were fast hits in the A-Zone at 25.

I did not shoot groups, but also didn't feel the need--I saw nothing about POA/POI to worry me, and had the test target that came with it.

Recoil
Some have said the PPQ's are "flippier" than the G19's, but I didn't really see it. I would say recoil is on par with a Gen. 3 G19, and a bit flippier than the Gen. 4 G19.

Trigger
The trigger makes it almost impossible to shoot slow--the smooth trigger, clean break, and short reset lend themselves to accurate, fast shooting. I read in another post that one user had a tendency to outrun their sights, and I noticed the same thing, but even on what I called as fliers, they weren't bad--the trigger is much more forgiving than a Glock trigger.

Muzzle Flash
Nothing extraordinary, except with the Federal ammo--this produced a significant flash (probably more the ammo than the gun).

AFTER SHOOTING
There was a slight amount of wear on the barrel hood, but nothing unexpected. Cleaning the weapon was fairly easy, although the frame does have a few nooks and crannies that I don't really see a purpose for that allow carbon to hide in. Fortunately these are on polymer, so it shouldn't be an issue unless you're a little OCD about cleaning like I am.

FINAL THOUGHTS
The PPQ is one of the best polymer pistols on the market today, and probably the best value for the money. It beats the M&P in size, the Glock in comfort, and the H&K in price, and all of them in trigger pull. I just put my G17 RTF and my G19 FDE up for sale to fund another Q, and as soon as I get enough rounds through the guns to vet them, I will be carrying one exclusively with the other as a training weapon. If you're looking at a striker-fired polymer 9mm, the PPQ deserves a hard look.

fourXfour
01-01-14, 22:17
Great review!! The PPQ M2 is very high in my list. I keep telling myself when a raven vanguard 2 is available, I will probably pick one up.

CFII
01-01-14, 22:43
The only pistol I shoot better than my PPQ is my Sig X5 Tactical. I freaking love my PPQ.

cwgibson
01-01-14, 22:55
It has replaced every other semi that I have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hmac
01-01-14, 22:59
PPQ is a great pistol. I have 6500 rounds through mine with rather casual maintenance. It is accurate, reliable, and a joy to shoot. Mine is the original mag release...I am completely indifferent to paddle vs button, but I am locked in to that paddle version for my second PPQ because the magazines aren't interchangeable and I have no desire to start over. Walther Arms has said that they're going to be importing the original version again in 2014. There are rumors of some Walther Arms -stamped paddles trickling in. I've got my LGS on the lookout...

mrvip27
01-02-14, 02:16
Love mine :D

R0CKETMAN
01-02-14, 05:17
I didn't find the grip to be too "slippery". I sold my M1 mainly due to paddle release as I look for continuity. Need to pick up an M2

Sam
01-02-14, 06:29
I didn't find the grip to be too "slippery". I sold my M1 mainly due to paddle release as I look for continuity. Need to pick up an M2

They have the M2 for $560 at Martin's Coin and Firearms in Alpharetta.

SteveL
01-02-14, 09:12
Nice review. My Q classic has become my favorite pistol by far.

evoutfitters
01-02-14, 10:32
My PPQ M1 is by far my favorite pistol to shoot.

We have PPQ M2s and mags (http://www.eaglevalleyoutfitters.com/walther/walther-ppq-m2-9mm-black-15056), as well as the original M1 paddle release mags (http://www.eaglevalleyoutfitters.com/walther/walther-ppq-9mm-15-round-magazine-15055) at Eagle Valley.

ra2bach
01-02-14, 14:00
what is the PPX?..

Sam
01-02-14, 14:36
what is the PPX?..

An ugly cousin of the PPQ.

Seriously, the PPQ is striker fired and the PPX is double action hammer fired. The grip frame of the PPX resembled that of the High Point pistols. I've dry fired the PPX and the trigger/action is nowhere near as smooth and light as the PPQ.

SteveL
01-02-14, 14:42
It's worth noting that the PPX was designed to be less expensive than the PPQ. I understand they have a street price in the $400 range.

There are several existing threads about them here, as well as an entire sub-forum dedicated to them over on Walther Forums.

ra2bach
01-02-14, 17:12
An ugly cousin of the PPQ.

Seriously, the PPQ is striker fired and the PPX is double action hammer fired. The grip frame of the PPX resembled that of the High Point pistols. I've dry fired the PPX and the trigger/action is nowhere near as smooth and light as the PPQ.

ok, thanks. I asked because Widener's has them on closeout for $349..

HES
01-02-14, 17:48
Good review. Welcome to the club. The PPQ is the first pistol I could ever be accused of being a fan boi of and with obvious good reasons. You mentioned a lack of after market parts as a con, but other than sights, does the pistol really need any further support? Oh and 10-8 makes sights for the PPQ as well. As for holsters, with the products available from the likes of Raven Concealment, Comp-TAC, Dale Fricke,... Is there a particular brand that you are looking for? Gotta agree that spare parts availability is IMO the Achilles heel of the pistol. I'm looking forward to see if Walther is going to introduce a .45 version of the PPQ this year.

Oh and for those fans of the M1 version, Walther announced today that if you contact your LGS, you can order the M1 version this year as they will be importing them in limited quantities.

Hmac
01-02-14, 17:59
I haven't tried through Walther Arms, but I had NO trouble getting a bunch of extra "just in case" parts from Earl's, including a striker assembly, recoil spring assemblies, extractor, other such doodads. They had it all in stock and shipped immediately. Earl's ain't cheap, but it's available with no problem and I'm not sure that it is from Walther Arms.

Hmac
01-02-14, 18:04
Oh and for those fans of the M1 version, Walther announced today that if you contact your LGS, you can order the M1 version this year as they will be importing them in limited quantities.

I did just that earlier this afternoon and he confirmed that they are hitting the distributors in limited quantities.

jck397
01-02-14, 19:23
You mentioned a lack of after market parts as a con, but other than sights, does the pistol really need any further support?

Probably not (especially with duplicate training/carry pistols), but I like the ability to do PM myself as well as replacing parts if anything does go wrong, rather than having to take the time and money to have a 'smith do the work. I checked with Earl's to make sure I could order anything I needed before I bought the pistol, but it would be nice to have a few other sources as well.

As for holsters, with the products available from the likes of Raven Concealment, Comp-TAC, Dale Fricke,... Is there a particular brand that you are looking for?

I was thinking more along the lines of duty holsters. Safariland does make my preferred holster, the 6360, for the Q, but I can't find a vendor that stocks one, so I think I have to order direct from Safariland, at a price that makes me wonder I should just mold my own holster out of precious metals. Also, they will probably never make a 7TS version (the best duty holster I've seen), or if they do, it won't be for years. At least Raven and PerSec have me covered for concealment.

I'm looking forward to see if Walther is going to introduce a .45 version of the PPQ this year.

An 8-10 shot .45 Q would be a sexy beast...I would much rather they came out with a magazine-compatible G26 sized gun first, but I wouldn't complain if they brought out a .45 (but my wallet might).

Hmac
01-02-14, 21:43
I'm looking forward to see if Walther is going to introduce a .45 version of the PPQ this year.

I'd like to see a PPQ Compact.

HES
01-02-14, 21:45

If it's like the shield then I'm in.

cwgibson
01-02-14, 21:52
I would love a .45 as well. That would be at the top of my list. Single stack nine would be a great carry piece as well.

jck397
01-02-14, 22:02
Is there enough of a difference between the PPS and the PPQ platforms to justify a single-stack compact PPQ? I've never handled or shot a PPS, so I have no idea how similar or different the two guns are, but I would assume that a Shield-esque PPQ would be a PPS...correct me if I'm wrong?

SteveL
01-02-14, 22:12
I have no interest at all in a .45 but would be interested in a compact PPQ with paddle mag release.

Hmac
01-02-14, 22:26
Is there enough of a difference between the PPS and the PPQ platforms to justify a single-stack compact PPQ? I've never handled or shot a PPS, so I have no idea how similar or different the two guns are, but I would assume that a Shield-esque PPQ would be a PPS...correct me if I'm wrong?
Only in form factor. Thee PPQ trigger has nothing to do with the PPS.

jck397
01-02-14, 22:37
Only in form factor. Thee PPQ trigger has nothing to do with the PPS.

Got it, thanks. Then put me on the PPQc bandwagon--I was under the impression that they both had similar triggers.

cwgibson
01-03-14, 00:26
Just got an update via walther's FB page that they have shipped some M1's to select distributors if anyone is interested.

bzdog
01-03-14, 02:16
Got it, thanks. Then put me on the PPQc bandwagon.

You can add me to the long list... I'll take mine with paddle releases and doublestack please. It would be keen if it fit existing holster, too.

Oh, and while I'm dreaming, I'll take a version pre-milled for an RDMS.

Thanks! ;-)

-john

ptmccain
01-03-14, 07:18
I see Talon Grips offers their grips for the Walther PPQ M2. May give it a try.

nick84
01-03-14, 09:45
Thanks for the solid write up OP. Threads like these are the reason I get on here most days; to read organized and relevant thoughts about important products. I had my mind made up about getting another P30, but I am now seriously considering picking up a PPQ, even if I have to 'buy to try'.

jck397
01-03-14, 12:28
I see Talon Grips offers their grips for the Walther PPQ M2. May give it a try.

Thanks! Didn't realize they did...I'll have to check that out.

ptmccain
01-03-14, 12:29
Just saw it last night. Talon has really stepped up their game, and is looking very top-notch professional. Great American success story.

jck397
01-03-14, 12:34
Thanks for the solid write up OP. Threads like these are the reason I get on here most days; to read organized and relevant thoughts about important products. I had my mind made up about getting another P30, but I am now seriously considering picking up a PPQ, even if I have to 'buy to try'.

Thank you--glad it was useful! I dabbled with a USPc before selling it off and going with the PPQ, and the LEM never quite felt right to me. I haven't shot a P30, but the USPc and P2000 are definitely "flippier" than the PPQ, and I was much slower with both. Plus you can get a Q and a half for what P30's usually go for. If you can try one or even just dry fire it, the trigger will get you hooked.

MadMatt
02-17-14, 12:41

Walther already has an answer to the Shield. It's called the PPS and has been around for several years now. I think that the PPQM2 was Walther's answer to the Glock/Springfield XD/M&P etc.

Personally, what I've been looking for for years now is a double-stack 9mm that can work for women with extremely small hands. So far I have not found one (Tried them all. inevitably the grip is too thick). Hoping this might be the one.

I am borrowing a PPQ from a friend this week to let my wife try it out. If it works we will finally have something that I've been searching years for; a double stack 9mm that we can both use. Kind of a family standard pistol if you will.

Something that a lot of people do in selecting a pistol for women is go with small frames; Keltec/Bersa/Glock26 (and now G42) etc etc. Something that sort of dawned on me recently is that concealability is not so much of a issue for women as they are most likely (with exceptions I realize) to carry in their purse, not on their body. In a purse a slightly larger frame pistol does not matter much. The real issue then becomes a pistol that they can hold/shoot well. For many this is not an issue, but for those like my wife who is 5' tall with what can only be described as child-like small hands, her options are small 380s or single stack 9's. That's fine and dandy and her PPS has served well for years now. No complaints, but more rounds are better than fewer.

I have heard a couple people with similar issues tell me that the PPQ might finally be the answer. Will see. If anyone has any data in this regard, please let me know. Thanks.

Hmac
02-17-14, 13:05

The PPS is like the Shield. Single stack 9mm or .40 only without the manual safety and no history of .40 caliber kabooms.

PPS is a great handgun for concealed carry. Very accurate (check Hickok45's review on youtube) and reliable. My wife has had one for a couple of years. I finally got one myself a couple of weeks ago for carrying when wearing less clothing. I have found that I prefer it even over my PPQ, even in the winter.

Slater
02-17-14, 13:15
Any significant differences between the M1 and M2?

MSparks909
02-17-14, 13:25
Any significant differences between the M1 and M2?

Trigger guard paddle magazine release on the M1 and button magazine release on the M2.

cwgibson
02-17-14, 13:52
The PPS is like the Shield. Single stack 9mm or .40 only without the manual safety and no history of .40 caliber kabooms.

PPS is a great handgun for concealed carry. Very accurate (check Hickok45's review on youtube) and reliable. My wife has had one for a couple of years. I finally got one myself a couple of weeks ago for carrying when wearing less clothing. I have found that I prefer it even over my PPQ, even in the winter.

My wife just took her first handgun class and loved it. I may have to pick up one of these for her birthday. I've never held one, but love my PPQ.

cwgibson
02-17-14, 14:00
Does anyone happen to know if the five inch version will be available with a trigger guard mag release?

MadMatt
02-17-14, 14:10

I can definitely understand the preference of a light, single stack 9 for concealed carry. I've used my wife's PPS on several occasions and love it. It's slim and light, and the stock trigger is adequate, if not great. I've never liked sacrificing mag capacity though. It's an easy trap to fall into; going with lighter and slimmer and easier to carry. I've fallen into that trap before as well. If you ever actually have to USE the thing though, 7 or 8 rounds just doesn't make me feel very confident, especially when you read the AARs about a lot of police shootings.

People with normal hands have a wealth of options in this regard. Small handed people not so much. I'm hoping this pistol is a solution.

Hmac
02-17-14, 16:26
I can definitely understand the preference of a light, single stack 9 for concealed carry. I've used my wife's PPS on several occasions and love it. It's slim and light, and the stock trigger is adequate, if not great. I've never liked sacrificing mag capacity though. It's an easy trap to fall into; going with lighter and slimmer and easier to carry. I've fallen into that trap before as well. If you ever actually have to USE the thing though, 7 or 8 rounds just doesn't make me feel very confident, especially when you read the AARs about a lot of police shootings.

People with normal hands have a wealth of options in this regard. Small handed people not so much. I'm hoping this pistol is a solution.

It's a good trade-off for me. In the extraordinarily unlikely event I would ever need to defend my life with a handgun, I think it would be even more unlikely that I would need more than 7 rounds to do it.

vizsla
02-17-14, 22:47
Does anyone happen to know if the five inch version will be available with a trigger guard mag release?

On the Walther forum a couple people have stated that as Shot show the Walther rep said there are no plans for a 5 inch PPQ M1 "classic."

Someone has used a 5 inch slide from the PPQ M2 and used it on the PPQ M1 "classic" with no issues. So it looks like one would have to buy 2 PPQ's to make a 5 inch PPQ "classic." I would like a 5 inch PPQ classic as well. Someday. The good news is that Trijicon will be releasing HD night sights for the PPQ. Walther did bring back the PPQ "classic" due to demand so you never know.

ra2bach
02-18-14, 12:29

wait, what? .40 Shield has a history of kaboom? where do you get this from?..

cwgibson
02-18-14, 17:44
I haven't made it to the range much in the past few weeks with all this crappy weather we have had in the south. I went today and shot 300 rounds with my PPQ. Half were WWB 115gr fmj and the other half were Remington umc 147gr fmj. I shoot the heavier bullets much better for whatever reason and the gun seems to like them as well. I even felt good with my 25 yard rapid fire results using the 147gr. I'm hoping to run some of my pdx1 ammo through it next week and see how the gun likes it. Hands down my favourite 9mm.

HES
02-18-14, 22:36
Walther already has an answer to the Shield. It's called the PPS and has been around for several years now. I think that the PPQM2 was Walther's answer to the Glock/Springfield XD/M&P etc.

Personally, what I've been looking for for years now is a double-stack 9mm that can work for women with extremely small hands. So far I have not found one (Tried them all. inevitably the grip is too thick). Hoping this might be the one.

I am borrowing a PPQ from a friend this week to let my wife try it out. If it works we will finally have something that I've been searching years for; a double stack 9mm that we can both use. Kind of a family standard pistol if you will.

Something that a lot of people do in selecting a pistol for women is go with small frames; Keltec/Bersa/Glock26 (and now G42) etc etc. Something that sort of dawned on me recently is that concealability is not so much of a issue for women as they are most likely (with exceptions I realize) to carry in their purse, not on their body. In a purse a slightly larger frame pistol does not matter much. The real issue then becomes a pistol that they can hold/shoot well. For many this is not an issue, but for those like my wife who is 5' tall with what can only be described as child-like small hands, her options are small 380s or single stack 9's. That's fine and dandy and her PPS has served well for years now. No complaints, but more rounds are better than fewer.

I have heard a couple people with similar issues tell me that the PPQ might finally be the answer. Will see. If anyone has any data in this regard, please let me know. Thanks.
I appreciate the thought, but the PPS is not the PPQ. As for women, match the gun to the shooter, not the shooter to the gun. I know your situation is u I've, but always, regardless of gender, have the shooter try multiple pistols and pick the one that works best for them. As a side not, there was a young lady and her father at the LGS and range this weekend. They were considering a PPQ but the range didn't have one to rent. So I let her borrow mine and she loved it. She was a petite young lads and her hands were smallish. So maybe the Q will work for yours.

cwgibson
02-18-14, 22:43
With the smallest backstrap the ppq has a very small grip.

cwgibson
02-18-14, 23:09
Let me add I only have about 1k rounds through this gun. I haven't cleaned it or lubed it at all, and have had no problems at all.

Hmac
02-19-14, 00:19
wait, what? .40 Shield has a history of kaboom? where do you get this from?..

Smith & Wesson forums.

Sadly, Another .40 Shield Kaboom (http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/359609-sadly-another-40-shield-kaboom.html)

trio
02-19-14, 00:31
Don't know if this counts as data, but my wife has no problem shooting our PPQs, and actually seems to prefer the medium back straps....I don't consider my wife petite,but at 5'6, 125-130ish she isn't exactly superwoman either....she can also be a girly girl, and has very feminine hands...she really likes the ppq and how it shoots

That said, she doesn't carry the ppq, but that's more based on size...she is very sensitive to how heavy her carry gun is, and currently prefers her bodyguard .380

Hmac
02-19-14, 08:54
My wife is the same. Very slim, dresses very stylishly. CCW poses a real challenge for her. She didn't want less than a 9mm, has found the PPS to be an acceptable solution.

cwgibson
02-19-14, 09:41
My wife is around 5'4" and 100 pounds on a good day. What type of holster would you guys recommend for the pps?

Hmac
02-19-14, 10:13
My wife prefers a DeSantis Speed Scabbard and wears it at about 4:00. It's more form fitting. Not as easy to re-holster as kydex (she has an RCS too) but much more comfortable. IWB is just not an option for her.

ra2bach
02-19-14, 12:03
Smith & Wesson forums.

Sadly, Another .40 Shield Kaboom (http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/359609-sadly-another-40-shield-kaboom.html)

OP: sorry for the thread drift but this is something I want to address and confirm. if it evolves, I will start another thread...

Hmac, thanks for this. I was not aware of any established thing with .40 Shield but in the thread you referenced, the end of the discussion seemed to point to the ammunition as the cause.

here is one reply -- "Lets go back to the facts we know. Underwood calls this load " 40S&W +p". That's a standard which doesn't exist. +p typically means the round exceeds SAAMI spec.Very few companies design their guns to handle velocities past SAAMI standard.Most advise AGAINST it in the owners manual.HK for one actually says +P loads are NOT reccommended in their P30 pistols, even though their handguns are ridiculously overbuilt.

Going back to the round the OP used, it was a .40 caliber round loaded to full power 10mm speed. That would be risky shooting it out of a big burly stainless steel 4006, to say nothing about a Shield pocket gun.It wasn't just a .40 with some oomph, but a 10mm "short" loaded to respectable speed."...

however this made me curious so I looked for more instances of this. what is unknown is the total number of guns this occurred with and if it's a known "thing", or just a few examples brought to boiling point by the internet. a quick look found about 4 examples with some claiming standard pressure ammo like WWB or Federal caused it. the issue of bullet "setback" is discussed and it is entirely possible that something like this could cause an overpressure situation. without going into detail I have personally found factory ammunition from a major manufacturer that I could easily push the bullet back into the case with finger pressure.

more to the point, if the combination of gun and ammo, and possibly loading geometry (the angle the round takes entering the chamber) caused a situation where there is a significant issue, I think there would be more urgency on S&W's part to get in front of this. I haven't seen it and the small number of occurrences (that I have been able to find) seem like anomalies.

that said, even though the Shield was supposedly designed as a .40 gun, I have my own feelings about the round and it's NOT anecdotal that the large majority of KB's in guns of any manufacture are with .40S&W. having been one of the early adopters when the Glock 23 first came out and SIG P229, I ran it pretty hard before abandoning it. it's not a round I saw serving any vital purpose then and I still don't.

personal opinions about the round only affect me, but even though I still believe the gun is not specifically at fault, I would stay away from the Shield/.40 combination, regardless of the KB issue...

ra2bach
02-19-14, 12:09
back to the topic -- does anyone know what makes the magazines for the Navy model 17 rounds? is it an extender and will the 15 round magazines work???

Hmac
02-19-14, 12:18
OP: sorry for the thread drift but this is something I want to address and confirm. if it evolves, I will start another thread...

I feel similarly about the .40 S&W. I've had a P229 in .40 since 1997. It's been a great gun but I've been going 9mm for a several years now and getting away from the .40. I'm trying to sell the Sig which is the last .40 cal I own.

w3453l
02-19-14, 13:15
back to the topic -- does anyone know what makes the magazines for the Navy model 17 rounds? is it an extender and will the 15 round magazines work???

The spring is longer in the 17 round mags, and yes the extender of course

MadMatt
02-19-14, 16:53
I appreciate the thought, but the PPS is not the PPQ. As for women, match the gun to the shooter, not the shooter to the gun. I know your situation is u I've, but always, regardless of gender, have the shooter try multiple pistols and pick the one that works best for them. As a side not, there was a young lady and her father at the LGS and range this weekend. They were considering a PPQ but the range didn't have one to rent. So I let her borrow mine and she loved it. She was a petite young lads and her hands were smallish. So maybe the Q will work for yours.

I was not comparing the PPS to the PPQ, but rather to the M&P Shield. The two guns are similar and fill the same role, but the PPS has been around quite a bit longer. It's been a great gun for my wife and we are fine with it. My purpose has been to find something with a higher mag capacity that she can use, if possible.

Yes, we have been trying her out on a number of pistols, thus my original comment that I have "tried them all" and so far everything doublestack has been too big for her hands. Glocks, Sigs, M&Ps, other Walthers, you name it. They don't work for her.

Keep in mind that when I say small hands, I mean that I've seen 10 year olds with bigger hands than hers. Most women will not have this same problem and it may well be that she will be limited to 380s and single stack 9s, but hope springs eternal.

We do have the borrowed PPQ in the house now and she has done some dry fire practice with it. So far she likes it. Does not complain of the same problem she has with other double-stack pistols, namely not being able to get a proper grip and still reach the trigger. The trigger pull is every bit as good as claimed, which I think helps. Also has the shortest reset of any trigger I've used. I have high hopes. Just gotta see if we can make it to the range this weekend.

Packman73
02-26-14, 12:18
Anyone with a PPQ find that the slide is loose on the frame? I just got a "M1" a few weeks ago and have noticed that the thing is a rattle trap. I can deal with the magazine rattle but the damn slide rattles on the frame too. Loaded or unloaded. Anyone else?

Rekkr870
02-26-14, 12:21
Anyone with a PPQ find that the slide is loose on the frame? I just got a "M1" a few weeks ago and have noticed that the thing is a rattle trap. I can deal with the magazine rattle but the damn slide rattles on the frame too. Loaded or unloaded. Anyone else?

Yeah, mine did that too. There wasn't a difference in performance but it was an annoyance.

Packman73
02-26-14, 12:54
Yeah, mine did that too. There wasn't a difference in performance but it was an annoyance.
Thanks for your feedback. Very annoying. To the point that I don't want it anymore. Emailed my place of purchase to see if I could exchange it. I just may sell it if it's an issue with all of them.

Rekkr870
02-26-14, 13:01
Thanks for your feedback. Very annoying. To the point that I don't want it anymore. Emailed my place of purchase to see if I could exchange it. I just may sell it if it's an issue with all of them.

Well, I did sell mine. I'd be lying if I said that the slide rattling wasn't a factor. I have just now realized that I like DA/SA guns better.

Hmac
02-26-14, 13:02
I have two of them. Neither one rattles near as much as my Glock 19.

mrvip27
02-26-14, 19:53
My ppq m2 doesnt rattle one bit. Glocks rattle more than this gun ever would. Lol.

Packman73
02-26-14, 19:54
My ppq m2 doesnt rattle one bit. Glocks rattle more than this gun ever would. Lol.

That's good to know because I'd like to keep one. I'll see if I can get a replacement without a lot of hassle.

brushy bill
03-02-14, 17:57
Are magazines and parts getting any easier to locate?

cwgibson
03-02-14, 18:31

Yes, I just picked up six 17 round mags online for $35 I believe it was.

ptmccain
03-02-14, 18:44
Just wanted to chime in here and say that I took my Walther PPQ M2 out to the training center over the weekend and ran a couple drills with it.

The stock sights do suck in every way describable.

I was also using my HK Expert and there is no comparison in accuracy between the two.

The HK USP Expert has nice, high sights making it almost hard to miss with it.

The Walther? Forget about it.

So, what do I replace the sucky stock sights with. I prefer nice high sights with a high front post.

crosseyedshooter
03-02-14, 19:27
The stock PPQ sights have the odd combination of short front post with a shallow and wide rear notch. Whenever I'm lining up my sights, my front dot keeps wanting to dip below the rear notch. Trijicon night sights for the P99/PPQ are pretty tall. Meprolight ML18800 are also taller than stock sights and much easier for me to put the front dot on target. The current Meprolight ML18801 are a little bit lower than the ML18800. Trijicon HDs are also due out in the next couple of months. Or you can go with Dawson sights and pick the dimensions for front and rear.

cwgibson
03-02-14, 19:46
Just wanted to chime in here and say that I took my Walther PPQ M2 out to the training center over the weekend and ran a couple drills with it.

The stock sights do suck in every way describable.

I was also using my HK Expert and there is no comparison in accuracy between the two.

The HK USP Expert has nice, high sights making it almost hard to miss with it.

The Walther? Forget about it.

So, what do I replace the sucky stock sights with. I prefer nice high sights with a high front post.

Would the expert and the PPQ even be a fair comparison?

Hmac
03-02-14, 19:54
I never thought the PPQs stock sights were that bad, but I replaced them with DPs because I was leery of polymer sights and I wanted a fiber optic front sight. I bought a second PPQ and have been shooting with the stock sights and I still don't think they're that bad. But...I have some 10-8s for it and will probably put them on.

Arkansas Bob
03-02-14, 20:05
Neither of the two M1s I have owned have displayed this characteristic. I don't want to like this gun as much as I do but I can't help it.

{QUOTE=Packman73;1864306]Anyone with a PPQ find that the slide is loose on the frame? I just got a "M1" a few weeks ago and have noticed that the thing is a rattle trap. I can deal with the magazine rattle but the damn slide rattles on the frame too. Loaded or unloaded. Anyone else?[/QUOTE]

evoutfitters
03-03-14, 10:52

Yep -- mags are, anyway (http://www.eaglevalleyoutfitters.com/pistols/browse/brand/walther)... :)

az larry
03-05-14, 15:09
I have pretty much switched to the PPQM2 as my EDC. The sights are the weak link. I had Meps for a while but they are tall and the edges are sharp. I put a set of Meps for the PPS and they fit and work well. Not as perfect a sight picture as the taller options but much more comfortable for carry IWB.

I was looking for both a Navy and 5 inch so I could say goodby to Gaston forever. Now I'm kind of in a holding pattern to see what the striker P30 will sell for. If the trigger is as good as the Q and the price point is good I may go in that direction. The P30 feels a tad better in my hand than the Q and the sights are better IMO.

9111B
03-05-14, 16:06
I just ordered a Dawson FO front sight for my PPQ M2. I'm undecided what to do with the rears yet, maybe do tritium rears so it's not completely useless in pitch black. Right now another problem I'm running into is holster availability for OWB, I want to start shooting IPSC and the Blade-Tech Stingray was recommended but I don't see a PPQ version listed under options.

Hmac
03-05-14, 16:47
I just ordered a Dawson FO front sight for my PPQ M2. I'm undecided what to do with the rears yet, maybe do tritium rears so it's not completely useless in pitch black. Right now another problem I'm running into is holster availability for OWB, I want to start shooting IPSC and the Blade-Tech Stingray was recommended but I don't see a PPQ version listed under options.

Call BladeTech. I have an OWB for my PPQ M1's.

cwgibson
03-05-14, 18:25

Comtac makes an IPSC comparable holster as well.

9111B
03-05-14, 18:56
Call BladeTech. I have an OWB for my PPQ M1's.

Comtac makes an IPSC comparable holster as well.

Thanks,

I looked at both Comp Tac and Blade Tech for holsters. I decided I'm going with the BladeTech IDPA Competition Kit since I get a mag pouch too. IWB for every day carry I am thinking Crossbreed, and a Zahal drop leg for every other occasion because I like that retention system.

thopkins22
03-05-14, 19:20
Shot one for the first time yesterday. Maybe I'm alone in this, but the little guard thing on the opposite side of the magazine release on the M2 version totally sucks. Really dug into my finger enough that it was uncomfortable within a few seconds. I can't be the only one to have noticed this. I do have a very high grip and I squeeze pistols hard...but I'm surprised to not have read about it being a potential issue. If it wasn't just plastic it was bad enough to be a deal breaker for me.

If I get one, I'll have a dremel project the day I get home.

I'm also not a huge fan of the sights...better than the plastic crap on Glocks. But not in the league of the Warren's and 10-8's I'm used to.

By and large I liked it a lot, great trigger and mostly very ergonomic. If I wasn't so invested in Glock pistols, magazines, and holsters I'd have bought one on the way home.

BOSAR15
03-05-14, 19:35
I've had the M1 version for some time now. I have large hands and finally switched to the biggest back strap. That helped with the blister I was getting from the area below the back of the slide. I plan to try to use it for CCW, got to see how it sits with a light on it.

teutonicpolymer
03-05-14, 20:41
I totally get the magazine button part of the trigger guard issue

drove me away from the ppq m2... the issue should not be there with the m1

mrvip27
03-05-14, 22:16
Shot one for the first time yesterday. Maybe I'm alone in this, but the little guard thing on the opposite side of the magazine release on the M2 version totally sucks. Really dug into my finger enough that it was uncomfortable within a few seconds. I can't be the only one to have noticed this. I do have a very high grip and I squeeze pistols hard...but I'm surprised to not have read about it being a potential issue. If it wasn't just plastic it was bad enough to be a deal breaker for me.

If I get one, I'll have a dremel project the day I get home.

I'm also not a huge fan of the sights...better than the plastic crap on Glocks. But not in the league of the Warren's and 10-8's I'm used to.

By and large I liked it a lot, great trigger and mostly very ergonomic. If I wasn't so invested in Glock pistols, magazines, and holsters I'd have bought one on the way home.

Doesn't affect me one bit. mmm.. :/

thopkins22
03-05-14, 22:50
Doesn't affect me one bit. mmm.. :/

My guess is that if you don't have permanent scars in the web of your hand from years of Glock shooting...it probably won't. I grip high, and dealt with that...and if I switch I'll find a way to deal with this. Likely just grind it off since I won't be switching the release since it's very accessible with the thumb.

Bolt_Overide
03-06-14, 07:14
I have the M1 as well, getting another two m1's soon. One for dedicated training gun, one to use as a bottom end for a upper swap with an m2 long.

cwgibson
03-06-14, 09:12

Looks like you may get you wish in a way. Single stack ppq?

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/walther-general-discussions/35394-walther-ccp.html

Hmac
03-06-14, 12:05
Yes. Very interesting.

http://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/WALTHER-CCP-Compact-Pistol.jpg

9111B
03-07-14, 19:28
Here is the Dawson .180T/.125W fiber optic front sight. As soon as the 10-8 rear sights are back in stock I am going to pair the Dawson with one of those.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7296/12999997653_77a046d3e0_c.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7305/13000459414_1aebafb8f1_c.jpg

Hmac
03-07-14, 20:44
Looks like you may get you wish in a way. Single stack ppq?

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/walther-general-discussions/35394-walther-ccp.html

Looks like the CCP is made in Koln by Umarex. That cools my enthusiasm a lot.

Rugerspyderon
03-07-14, 22:07
I have a Navy threaded PPQ M2 and it is so comfortable and accurate. The trigger is nice!

cwgibson
03-07-14, 22:30
Looks like the CCP is made in Koln by Umarex. That cools my enthusiasm a lot.

That's not good news at all.