PDA

View Full Version : Do bimetal jacketed hangun bullets accelerate wear as badly as bimetal rifle bullets?

Aries144
01-02-14, 01:23
ghjkl

Leaveammoforme
01-03-14, 21:06
I assume you're asking about the MV difference of rifles and handguns having any effect on steel vs steel. I am not aware of any studies on bimetal bullet wear on handgun barrels.

IMO ,Steel on steel is accelerated wear regardless of what it is on. Sure, steel brake pads may stop your car very well but they will ruin your rotors. Barrels are wear items that don't last forever. You can save a few bucks on ammo but your gonna spend those few bucks on more frequent barrel swaps. My premium barrels have premium ammo shot through them.

Heavy Metal
01-03-14, 21:17
The chrome lined, hammer forged, 35,000-round-life-expectancy-barrel of my Arsenal 5.56 SLR-106 AK is now shooting 6+ MOA with match ammunition that it originally shot 2 MOA with, after being fed an almost exclusive diet of Wolf and Brown Bear FMJ for it's 6-7,000 round life. I've since seen the Lucky Gunner article which seems to confirm that the cause of my prematurely worn out barrel was the bimetal jacketed Russian bullets.

Has anyone seen any data on, or had any personal experience with, accelerated wear caused by bimetal jacketed handgun ammunition? I don't wish to see the expensive barrels of my and my wife's PPQs prematurely worn out by the Brown Bear 9mm we've been using for practice.

Have you cleaned it with a good copper removing solvent?

I have an AR that has eaten 6 out of its 14K rounds of the bi-metal Brown and Silver Bear. The throat guages about a half-inch down from new and it will still shoot the bear ammo into 4moa and that is about right for Bear as it is 4moa fodder.

Heavy Metal
01-03-14, 21:19
And I have shot over ten K of Bi-Metal out of my Glock 19, that has over 20K total on it and the rifling is still strong.