PDA

View Full Version : Book Recommendation: "Wartime" by Paul Fussell

Gutshot John
05-13-08, 17:29
Some of you know I'm going to school to be a military historian. I had run across this book a few years ago but it had dropped off my radar until someone was asking me about a good book about the experiences of soldiers over the years.

Paul Fussell was an infantryman during WWII who became an English/History professor subsequent to his experience. "Wartime" is less his story and more a collection of anecdotes of soldiers' experiences during various wars. There is tragedy and humor in finding meaning in the often futility of war. His ability in describing the daily life of a soldier of tedium and terror is a masterpiece of American literature.

You will not find stories of combat only the realities of "the grind" and sometimes the obdurate incompetence of leadership. He is not trying to indict officers, only highlight the universal realities and experiences of men in wartime. Much of it reminds me of my own service as a corpsman with the marines. There is LOTS of sick/twisted humor.

It reminds me of the Mother Teresa quote. "We the unwilling, led by the unknowing are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

mudrock
05-14-08, 00:50
Thanks for pointing this out. Reminds me I should have a copy of Studs Terkel's "The Good War" round the house somewhere, time to red up the room ;).