PDA

View Full Version : A Coupla Question for You Minnesotans, Don'tcha Know...

MistWolf
01-02-14, 23:11
...can you explain Fried Pickles to me??
http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/5225f4cfeab8eaea08a49b24-1200/there-are-plenty-of-gigantic-fried-pickles-to-choose-from-too.jpg

For cryin' out loud, corn cobs are recyled? Not sure I wanna what they use'm for, you betcha
http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/5225f4d2eab8ea6a0da49b1f-1200/the-minnesota-state-fair-is-very-green-there-are-places-to-recycle-everywhere.jpg

Uff da...

fixit69
01-02-14, 23:34
Well Mist, fried pickle "chips" ar pervasive in the south. But corn cob recycling... wow.

Ill let someone from the area explain that. Man...

Whiskey_Bravo
01-03-14, 00:00
Just assuming here, but I have to think the corn cob recycling is for livestock feed. Probably pigs. I lived in MN for 3 years and never ate a fried pickle, but they are prevalent in the south.

Onyx Z
01-03-14, 00:18
Fried pickles are at every "American food" restaurant I've been to here in Texas. I hate pickles, but put some fried pickles in front of me... oooh doggy!

fixit69
01-03-14, 00:22
Sorry. They might be pervasive in the south, but I hate pickles and pickle chips... Hell, I hate pickles!

So they can be where they want. Just as long as they are away from me.

HD1911
01-03-14, 00:40
Fried pickles are at every "American food" restaurant I've been to here in Texas. I hate pickles, but put some fried pickles in front of me... oooh doggy!

No doubt! Fried Pickles are the heat!!!

Mr blasty
01-03-14, 02:03
None of this is Minesot'n including the thread title and cliche words. Fried pickles are delicious and the first time I even had them was a different state. As far as the corn cob recycling is concerned, if you have enough of a particular waste then it's worth trying to recycle. I'm surprised more state fairs don't try it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Hmac
01-03-14, 02:45
The Minnesota State Fair is quite a phenomenon. By no means are fried pickles the strangest fried food served there.

Magic_Salad0892
01-03-14, 05:24
My sister had a dog named Pickles. I loved that dog. He was retarded.

uffdaphil
01-03-14, 05:54
I can't figure why half the food "on a stick" at our state fair is popular. Besides the pronto Pups of course.

Ryno12
01-03-14, 07:05
Tons of uses for recycled corn cobs.
Animal bedding, absorbent, blasting/polishing media just to name a few.

http://www.bestcob.com/

There's much weirder fried foods at state fairs than pickles, like Twinkies, Oreos, Coca-Cola, various insects, etc.

Sent via Tapatalk

Pork Chop
01-03-14, 10:50
Fried pickles are awesome and corn cobs burn nicely, so there's another use.

Moose-Knuckle
01-03-14, 17:09
Yeah nothing new about fried pickles, down here you can get them chip style or spears. The best I've had to date use cornflakes as batter!

MistWolf
01-03-14, 17:34
I'd never heard of fried pickles until I saw that photo.

As far as the cliches I used in the text of my first post, my wife says they are Minnesotan and she grew up there. When I asked her about the pickles & corncobs, she said that must be a southern Minnesota thing

montanadave
01-03-14, 17:39
Any questions about Minnesota can be resolved by watching two movies: Fargo and Drop Dead Gorgeous.

One of the few places in the country were you can regularly see elderly women physically assault one another over red versus green Jell-O . . . in church.

Moose-Knuckle
01-03-14, 17:57
One of the few places in the country were you can regularly see elderly women physically assault one another over red versus green Jell-O . . . in church.

Must be the Viking blood coursing through their veins.

Kain
01-03-14, 18:06
If fried pickles scare you then I suggest you stay far out of the south because I have seen things fried down there that were never meant to be fried.

As to the corn cobs. Why not? Beats reusing condoms.

My sister had a dog named Pickles. I loved that dog. He was retarded.

LOL! That made my night.
Pray tell how he was retarded because when I thought of retarded dogs I keep coming to a friend of mine who had a girlfriend with a chihuahua with an overbite that humped the fur off of his bunny slippers.

Magic_Salad0892
01-03-14, 18:30
LOL! That made my night.
Pray tell how he was retarded because when I thought of retarded dogs I keep coming to a friend of mine who had a girlfriend with a chihuahua with an overbite that humped the fur off of his bunny slippers.

He humped this weird ET stuffed animal until it was bald, and would regularly run himself into mirrors on purpose.

But he was really damned affectionate.

ST911
01-04-14, 09:23

I suppose you're going to ask about fried spam curds next, eh Stoopid?

;)

fixit69
01-04-14, 09:44
Skintop... That's gross. You ruined my appetite for the rest of 2014.

montanadave
01-04-14, 10:31
He humped this weird ET stuffed animal until it was bald, and would regularly run himself into mirrors on purpose.

But he was really damned affectionate.

Uncanny. You could be describing my nephew.

SeriousStudent
01-04-14, 11:02
I suppose you're going to ask about fried spam curds next, eh Stoopid?

;)

Fried cheese curds rock! We have a local place down here that makes them, along with cheeseburgers they fry in butter.

I think of it as the Anti-Cardiologist's Diet.

montanadave
01-04-14, 11:06
Fried cheese curds rock! We have a local place down here that makes them, along with cheeseburgers they fry in butter.

Don't kid yourself. The "silent partners" in the business are probably a couple of local cardiologists. Just like the orthopedic surgeons who own the sporting goods store down the block. :)

Ryno12
01-04-14, 11:14

Those are as normal as PB&J in Wisc. One would be hard pressed to find a restaurant that didn't offer them. Nummy!!

Sent via Tapatalk

sandman99and9
01-04-14, 17:26
I saw fried Pepsi at the strawberry festival in Plant city a couple years ago along with fried whatever you can think of. Evidently they pour the Pepsi into fry batter then drop it into the deep fryer. Umm, no.

Now fried pickles ? hell yeah !!!!

S.M.

Magic_Salad0892
01-04-14, 21:38
Uncanny. You could be describing my nephew.

Lmfao.

exkc135driver
01-05-14, 01:20
Well Mist, fried pickle "chips" ar pervasive in the south.

... no wonder we lost the war.

trio
01-05-14, 01:36
My wife's whole family is from extreme northern Minnesota....like drive to Lake Superior and turn north

I spend a few weeks up there every other summer for family re unions and such

I've had some weird food in my time up there

But...by far...the most disgusting offering is

Lutefisk

Fwiw, the only pickles I've ever had that I liked were what my wife's family calls refrigerator pickles that her grandmother used to make...I bet they'd be good fried

Hmac
01-05-14, 03:49
Northern Minnesota is very ethnic. Lots of Italian, Finnish, Scandinavian, Central European foods. Fried pickles are fine, but I'm a huge fan of the garlic dills that one of my Serbian-descended friends made every year. As to lutefisk...it's a legendary Scandinavian dish. It was even featured on an episode of Andrew Zimmern's weird food show. I've lived here 40 years. Never had the urge to try it.

Miami_JBT
01-06-14, 11:29
http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/5225f4cfeab8eaea08a49b24-1200/there-are-plenty-of-gigantic-fried-pickles-to-choose-from-too.jpg

For cryin' out loud, corn cobs are recyled? Not sure I wanna what they use'm for, you betcha
http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/5225f4d2eab8ea6a0da49b1f-1200/the-minnesota-state-fair-is-very-green-there-are-places-to-recycle-everywhere.jpg

Uff da...

WTF is the creature on the left of the photo with the recycle cart? That has to be a man in drag.

Whiskey_Bravo
01-06-14, 11:47
WTF is the creature on the left of the photo with the recycle cart? That has to be a man in drag.

lol, I just noticed that. I really hope it's a dude in drag.