PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a .50 bmg

sac
01-03-14, 08:01
I've got to 50 bug and have been looking at a Barrett 99 or a Armilite ar-50, and what I have been reading ar-50 is a little more accurate. My question is has anyone heard of problems with the Armalight, I was at my LGS and said they had to send back a ar-30 about 4 times and never got it right customer finally just sold it. I have not been able to find any bad comments about them,and I know everyone has a lemon.
Just wondering if anyone here has shot both and what there thoughts are.

Thanks Scott

Scrubber3
01-03-14, 08:28
I've shot both and prefer the Barrett. Its not as cumbersome as the ar50, the action feels smoother, and It's also about 7 pounds lighter. I didn't notice any difference in accuracy as both were fairly accurate.

Nightvisionary
01-03-14, 08:32
I've shot both and prefer the Barrett. Its not as cumbersome as the ar50, the action feels smoother, and It's also about 7 pounds lighter. I didn't notice any difference in accuracy as both were fairly accurate.

Lighter weight in a 50 BMG rifle isn't necessarily a desirable feature.

Scrubber3
01-04-14, 22:42
Lighter weight in a 50 BMG rifle isn't necessarily a desirable feature.

It is if the brake does its job, the recoil of each is nearly identical. I can stand and shoot either rifle easily. It's just that the armalite was more difficult due to the weight.

Also, at more than 33 pounds, the armalite isn't fun to carry around.

fixit69
01-04-14, 23:05
Never tried the armalite, but I love my Barrett 99. Problem is I never shoot it.

Nightvisionary
01-05-14, 06:53
It is if the brake does its job, the recoil of each is nearly identical. I can stand and shoot either rifle easily. It's just that the armalite was more difficult due to the weight.

Also, at more than 33 pounds, the armalite isn't fun to carry around.

Ok but if both rifles have effective brakes, which they should, which rifle will have the softer felt recoil, the 25 lb rifle or the 35 lb rifle? I don't shoot 50 BMG rifles from the standing position. That's what AR carbines are for. I can shoot my 32lb SA Shorty for quite awhile before I get fatigued. Can't do the same with a 22 LB Serbu BFG-50.

Scrubber3
01-05-14, 18:18
Ok but if both rifles have effective brakes, which they should, which rifle will have the softer felt recoil, the 25 lb rifle or the 35 lb rifle? I don't shoot 50 BMG rifles from the standing position. That's what AR carbines are for. I can shoot my 32lb SA Shorty for quite awhile before I get fatigued. Can't do the same with a 22 LB Serbu BFG-50.

I guess since you've shot them both, you'd know.... My mistake.

Not all brakes are created equal btw.

fixit69
01-05-14, 19:15
Recoil is at best subjective.

My Barrett 99 is like a "rolling", shotgun type recoil. Some of the other target models are a little sharper. I haven't shot the armalite, but other target models (with proper brakes) are just as "rolling". I think the best thing you can do, OP, is try as many as you can.

A .50 cal is going to kick. Deal with it, or go to another caliber.

yellowfin
01-09-14, 00:29
Don't skimp on the ear protection!

tuck
01-16-14, 20:39
I've got quite a bit of time with a Barrett 99. Accuracy is quite good even with 647gr API rounds at moderate ranges. Match loads really shine in the M99 past 600 yards or so. Like others have said, recoil is about like a 12 gauge shotgun. My favorite part about the Barrett is that it's actually pretty handy for a .50. It's entirely possible to shoot it from positions other than prone, something that would be a challenge with the Armalite. Good ear pro is a must as well, I generally wear foamies in addition to electronic muffs.

steyrman13
01-16-14, 20:54
Are you stuck on only those two models or open to others like the Steyr HS50m1?