PDA

View Full Version : weapon light - laser or not?

akela
01-03-14, 11:27
I recently purchased surefire x300 ultra for my Glock 19 but now am contemplating to upgrade to x400 (with laser) or a light with laser from streamlight.
What are pros/cons for a laser packaged with a light? I am concerned about the additional maintenance involved - battery life, having to zero in periodically, etc...
Also, is laser visible on a target when a target is illuminated with a flashlight?

Voodoo_Man
01-03-14, 11:32
I believe there was a thread about this somewhere, I don't remember where.

I have a Viridian X5L Gen2. pix here- http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/06/sunday-pix-modified-glock-17.html

I love it. I bought some rechargeable c123's and carry two extras with me. It works well.

Devildawg2531
01-03-14, 12:49
I recently purchased surefire x300 ultra for my Glock 19 but now am contemplating to upgrade to x400 (with laser) or a light with laser from streamlight.
What are pros/cons for a laser packaged with a light? I am concerned about the additional maintenance involved - battery life, having to zero in periodically, etc...
Also, is laser visible on a target when a target is illuminated with a flashlight?

I have both the X300 and X400. For a home defense hand gun I prefer the X400. Yes the laser is very visible on the X400 with the light on. I have never needed to rezero mine or have any additional maintenance. Having the light and laser is the fastest way to get accurate hits on target at night. Try an IDPA style competition at night with night sights and weapon light vs X400 with light and laser and it will be very clear.

akela
01-03-14, 13:22
Thanks. I am convinced now :) What do you think about green laser vs. red laser? Also, do you know if Glock's own light/laser is good?

Voodoo_Man
01-03-14, 13:50
Thanks. I am convinced now :) What do you think about green laser vs. red laser? Also, do you know if Glock's own light/laser is good?

Glock makes a laser? :lol:

akela
01-03-14, 13:56
Glock makes a laser? :lol:
Yes. It seems so: http://us.glock.com/products/accessories#tactical-lights-details

HES
01-03-14, 14:42
Yes. It seems so: http://us.glock.com/products/accessories#tactical-lights-details
I belive he was being tongue in cheek with his question. Short of the long stick with the X400. Don't depend on who ever it is that is making those lights for Glock.

Devildawg2531
01-03-14, 15:35

I have only used red laser. I have a strong preference for SureFire brand due to quality and longevity. I haven't used the Glock brand laser and won't unless it's a gift.

Glock30
01-03-14, 20:51

LOL Nice! He shall stand corrected!

Voodoo_Man
01-04-14, 07:48

I was being sarcastic.

I find it funny that people buy their light especially while there are tried and true weaponlights out there that have some serious usage under their belts.

ptmccain
01-04-14, 08:24
Having used red lasers on my various weapons, I much prefer green. Very visible even in full sunlight.

RWH24
01-04-14, 19:46
But doesn't the red laser have the awe shucks factor? All the bad guys have seen them on TV and movies.
Now, I acquired a TLR-2 very well priced. It stays on the Sig 226 house gun. I had traded for a 229 that had CT grips and I got rid of them. I rely on the sights and my eyes.
I picked up a TLR-1 for Christmas, and it will reside on a M&P PRO 5" as that is the only holster I have suited for gun & light combo.

streakpi
01-04-14, 20:15
I learned in a Tactical Carbine/Pistol Night class last fall that TRAINING with your chosen light is as important as picking/purchasing said light. For example, I was using my trigger finger to toggle the TLR-1s on my M&P 9mm. Duh. I'm a lefty and I kept trying to both toggle-on and shoot the gun - obviously this does not work. I then purchased the pressure switch adapter for the back of the TLR-1s. Now, I have to squeeze the front of the grip to activate the light…not the best solution because it does not seem to activate all the time. Still deciding which one is best.

Point. Train with what you buy. Train at the house before you get to the range. Mine is a light only - on that gun. I have a Viridian C5L on my HD gun, different set-up than the TLR series (buttons vs. toggles). If you buy an Insight, then you are on another operating system. Pick a system and train with it - put as much into this step as you do deciding on silly red or green lasers. IMHO of course, mileage may vary.

Sasahara
01-04-14, 22:13
I learned in a Tactical Carbine/Pistol Night class last fall that TRAINING with your chosen light is as important as picking/purchasing said light. For example, I was using my trigger finger to toggle the TLR-1s on my M&P 9mm. Duh. I'm a lefty and I kept trying to both toggle-on and shoot the gun - obviously this does not work. I then purchased the pressure switch adapter for the back of the TLR-1s. Now, I have to squeeze the front of the grip to activate the light…not the best solution because it does not seem to activate all the time. Still deciding which one is best.

Point. Train with what you buy. Train at the house before you get to the range. Mine is a light only - on that gun. I have a Viridian C5L on my HD gun, different set-up than the TLR series (buttons vs. toggles). If you buy an Insight, then you are on another operating system. Pick a system and train with it - put as much into this step as you do deciding on silly red or green lasers. IMHO of course, mileage may vary.

Lefty as well and I am using a TLR-1S on my P30. With a thumbs forward grip I find dropping my right thumb down on the switch works the best. I cannot find a decent way to activate strobe without using my trigger finger though which is unfortunate.

streakpi
01-04-14, 22:32
Lefty as well and I am using a TLR-1S on my P30. With a thumbs forward grip I find dropping my right thumb down on the switch works the best. I cannot find a decent way to activate strobe without using my trigger finger though which is unfortunate.

Maybe that is good - no reason to go strobe on someone. Never heard an instructor that teaches it or stories backing up it's use. But yeah, I try the thumb…just gotta build muscle memory. The activation pad is just another piece of equipment that can fail.