PDA

View Full Version : American Rifleman - Why We've Had an Ammunition Shortage

Biggy
01-03-14, 11:47
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/why-weve-had-ammunition-shortage

montanadave
01-03-14, 12:01
So I have a stupid question. One of the charts in the article linked in the OP shows an accounting of the rounds used by the Dept. of Home Security. What's the difference between rounds used for "training purposes" and those used for "operational purposes"? I would assume the obvious but I simply can't comprehend how the TSA expended 4.5 million rounds for "operational purposes."

brickboy240
01-03-14, 12:18
They can examine all the factors and number until the cows come home.

The bottom line is that liberal politicians and their actions CAUSED the shortages and high prices, period.

Blame it on hoarders and whatever all you want....what CAUSES the hoarding?

Liberal politicians and their actions.

-brickboy240

NCPatrolAR
01-03-14, 12:33
what CAUSES the hoarding?

People panic buying

ptmccain
01-03-14, 12:41
I have been very deliberately buying all the ammo I can get at the best prices I've found it. I keep a "ready reserve" on hand and never touch it and buy now only to replenish my "range/training ammo"

If people want to call that "hoarding" ... tough luck for them.

Kain
01-03-14, 12:49
I have been very deliberately buying all the ammo I can get at the best prices I've found it. I keep a "ready reserve" on hand and never touch it and buy now only to replenish my "range/training ammo"

I do the same thing so I don't know if I would call it hording. Less so since I have been doing it for several years. If I was going to the range and planned on shooting a 100 rounds of ammo X I would usually pick up 150 rounds of ammo X so that I was always adding to my stockpile. While it doesn't add up fast, it still adds up and you don't have to worry about never having ammo.

brickboy240
01-03-14, 12:50
I too have been buying a box or two every pay period for many years. Even long before Obama was a candidate.

Everyone should have been doing that all along. It is just good practice to have a sizable stash of ammo around for all your guns no matter who is in office.

However...yes..I ramped up these efforts back in 2008 when it looked as if the RNC was again going to throw the election.

That is why I suggested people run out and buy a second 9or third) AR while Colt 6920s sit in Wal Marts at a shade over a grand. This could change in a second and that price will never go below where it is now and you can actually find them.

Those that wait are the ones that get "screwed" by hoarders...not those of us that stay awake.

Call it "hoarding" or whatever...I call it playing it safe.

-brickboy240

Alex V
01-03-14, 14:01

I am doing the same now. I f'ed up last winter. I was not into firearms during the previous times of panic and had no concept of how dire the situation can get, or how quickly. Never again will I be caught with my pants down. Usually once a month I buy 500 or 1000 rounds of ammo, as funds permit. I am starting to run out of room and my wife is getting pissed lol.

All it takes is one more 'tard shooting up a school and the cries will go out again, and again the shelves will be bare.

brickboy240
01-03-14, 14:36
I think that also is a huge factor - people are "waking up" to realize that having only a few boxes on your one shelf and buying ammo as you shoot it at the range is not do-able anymore.

More and more people are not wanting to be caught with THEIR pants down either and they are doing the same thing - buying 500-100 rounds a month or so and storing it away.

That is not hoarding or whatever you want to call it...it is plain smart. Cannot fault someone for waking up and deciding to prepare for possible shortages.

-brickboy240

T2C
01-03-14, 14:42
The panic buyers have made it difficult for those of us who have been consuming large amounts of ammunition over the years. Every time an anti-Second Amendment politician opens his/her mouth, the panic buyers strike again.

Kain
01-03-14, 14:51
I think that also is a huge factor - people are "waking up" to realize that having only a few boxes on your one shelf and buying ammo as you shoot it at the range is not do-able anymore.

More and more people are not wanting to be caught with THEIR pants down either and they are doing the same thing - buying 500-100 rounds a month or so and storing it away.

That is not hoarding or whatever you want to call it...it is plain smart. Cannot fault someone for waking up and deciding to prepare for possible shortages.

-brickboy240

Indeed. I have friends who recently got into shooting and I have been constantly forwarding them links to ammo and mags, and all manner of other hard to find gear trying to help them out so they can shoot and not pay through the nose and out the ass.

People are scared and unsure. Strange times we live in my friends.

brickboy240
01-03-14, 15:00
Sure.

The politics and uncertainty is also driving this scene.

Just like many love to lambast the oil speculators for causing price spikes in a barrel of oil without even a thought as to WHY they are so nervous and bearish on the futures of oil in America. Hello! They too see Obama and the anti-big-oil movement and the anti-fracking movies and green movements and it makes them queasy so prices go up.

Politics is often the "driver" but rarely gets the blame...that in and of itself is a tragedy.

-brickboy240

ptmccain
01-03-14, 15:26
The panic buyers have made it difficult for those of us who have been consuming large amounts of ammunition over the years. Every time an anti-Second Amendment politician opens his/her mouth, the panic buyers strike again.

Well, boo-hoo for you-hoo.

:)

Moose-Knuckle
01-03-14, 15:38
They can examine all the factors and number until the cows come home.

The bottom line is that liberal politicians and their actions CAUSED the shortages and high prices, period.

Blame it on hoarders and whatever all you want....what CAUSES the hoarding?

Liberal politicians and their actions.

-brickboy240

Yet this ecsapes most. People hoarde ammo, buy up mags and guns when the anti 2nd crowd rattle the saber. It's not over complicated.

Eurodriver
01-03-14, 15:46

Agreed.

I am an ammo hoarder. I am a mag hoarder. I am a rifle hoarder. I haven't bought any ammo since Sandy Hook. I haven't had to. I still have plenty of rounds of 5.56 despite frequent range trips last year (and today, even).

Anyone complaining about ammo hoarders has no one to blame but themselves. Who the hell doesn't have 2,000+ of each service grade caliber they own in reserves plus range ammo? Not anyone I know.

I dont feel bad for you guys. Obama has been elected since 2009. 5.56 was dirt cheap as recently as late 2011. Think 0.29$ a round shipped.

Sorry bros. Dont expect me to share my food with you when it runs out, too.

ra2bach
01-03-14, 15:53
I've had to change my methods a bit. I use to buy good AR ammo and .22lr every chance I get. but now that .22 is nonexistent and good 5.56 is still expensive, I built an upper just to shoot steel case. Even this is more than it was in the past but is still far below the brass cased stuff. enough so that the upper will pay for itself very shortly...

Kain
01-03-14, 15:58
I've had to change my methods a bit. I use to buy good AR ammo and .22lr every chance I get. but now that .22 is nonexistent and good 5.56 is still expensive, I built an upper just to shoot steel case. Even this is more than it was in the past but is still far below the brass cased stuff. enough so that the upper will pay for itself very shortly...

I actually have bought less steel cased ammo since everything started and been buying more brass cased ammo since I have found that I can usually sell the once fired brass that I don't reload and bring my end cost of brass down to near what steel is to the point that I feel I am better off buying brass cased. However, there are times when selling the once fired brass does take a little longer, but in the end I come out about the same. However, with me looking at an AK in the near future I will likely feed that mostly steel cased.

a1fabweld
01-03-14, 16:08
If the govt threatened to ban shoe laces tomorrow, shoe laces (ammo) and anything that can be used to lace your shoes (reloading components) would be on national backorder. Its to be expected that people will flip out and hoard what they feel they wont be able to get.

Caeser25
01-03-14, 16:31

Been doing that for years as I'm sure most of us on here have.

NCPatrolAR
01-03-14, 17:12
People hoarde ammo, buy up mags and guns when the anti 2nd crowd rattle the saber.

No one needs to rattle the saber. People go into panic mood anytime they think some kind of regulation might be on the horizon. A word can not be said and the "out of stock" signs will be flying up at break neck speed

Failure2Stop
01-03-14, 17:28
Much like the old saying, "Nothing draws a crowd like a crowd," nothing generates sales like being in high demand.

Moose-Knuckle
01-03-14, 17:31
People go into panic mood anytime they think some kind of regulation might be on the horizon. A word can not be said and the "out of stock" signs will be flying up at break neck speed

I can't say that I blame them.

Just yesterday and today:

Comply or become a felon; CN gun registration becomes law today
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?145017-Comply-or-become-a-Felon-Conneticut-gun-registration-becomes-law-today

Obama administration proposes new executive actions on gun background checks
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?145144-Obama-administration-proposes-new-executive-actions-on-gun-background-checks

T2C
01-03-14, 17:32

Your heartfelt comment is much appreciated. :lol:

Grand58742
01-03-14, 18:09
I actually have bought less steel cased ammo since everything started and been buying more brass cased ammo since I have found that I can usually sell the once fired brass that I don't reload and bring my end cost of brass down to near what steel is to the point that I feel I am better off buying brass cased. However, there are times when selling the once fired brass does take a little longer, but in the end I come out about the same. However, with me looking at an AK in the near future I will likely feed that mostly steel cased.

The crazy thing is I've seen is less steel case ammo since Sandy Hook and more brass case. Seen plenty of Tula around, Monarch on occasion, but the majority of .223/5.56 I've seen has been brass. Not much Wolf or Bear ammo to be found for about a year. You would have figured the Russians at the Barnaul factory would have been making the stuff in three shifts.

Swag
01-03-14, 18:10
My best WAG...

There's been a mad surge in new gun ownership this past decade then combine that with bankrolling the WOT. The demand strained domestic manufacturing capabilities. The ammo manufacturers were not prepared for the events and couldn't ramp up production on lines that simply didn't exist.

ptmccain
01-03-14, 18:13
The crazy thing is I've seen is less steel case ammo since Sandy Hook and more brass case. Seen plenty of Tula around, Monarch on occasion, but the majority of .223/5.56 I've seen has been brass. Not much Wolf or Bear ammo to be found for about a year. You would have figured the Russians at the Barnaul factory would have been making the stuff in three shifts.

Really? Not sure if you are referring to brick/mortar store inventories, but check GunBot and AmmoSeek and there is usually always steel cased to be had.

Kain
01-03-14, 18:17

I think you have a point. I haven't seen much of your junk steel cased ammo that you used to see in droves but I never paid much attention to it not being as available as it used to. I just figured that a lot of your panic buyers were still buying the hell out of it because it was usually cheaper and they figured it was "just as good." Though considering back in Feburary I was buying PMC Bronze as a LGS for $9.99 and XTAC for the same for the range and they had Wolf and TULE at 12.99 a box I am not sure what the hell is always going on. But I do remember that one.

And yes I am referring to straight gun stores. Lot more brass cased where I am at. Though online the cheap steel cased ammo is also usually harder to find at my preferred sellers.

a1fabweld
01-03-14, 18:26
I imagine many of you are too young to have been impacted by the 94 Clinton ban. Overnight magazines over 10 rds jumped to $75 each if you could convince someone to sell you one. I remember saving up to buy my first AR and I had missed it by a few days. After experiencing that, I'm always on the defensive about this kind of stuff.

lunchbox
01-03-14, 20:19
I was hoarding before hoarding was cool:cool:. Before Obama, before it all took a turn for the worst. Every paycheck, every time I'm in a store and the three basic food groups are there, guns-ammo-gear since I was 16. In my defense I shoot 1/2-3/4 of ammo purchased(depending on ammo $/type), usually that same day. The same as most I know around here and there's never been a problem before...