PDA

View Full Version : Trigger: DA/SA or Glock/DAK?

Gutshot John
05-13-08, 18:44
Assuming you don't carry cocked/locked...

Do you generally prefer consistent trigger pull whether first shot or last a la Glock or DAK? or the traditional DA/SA where first shot is heavy and every shot after that is SA?

NoBody
05-13-08, 20:16
If we're talking triggers then nothing beats a 1911. I prefer the Glock over the Beretta, but there's just something magical about a 4.5# 1911 trigger. :D

Gutshot John
05-13-08, 20:31
If we're talking triggers then nothing beats a 1911. I prefer the Glock over the Beretta, but there's just something magical about a 4.5# 1911 trigger. :D

I'll concede that point. Nothing is better than a 1911 trigger...but for non SAO?

Can I presume that's one vote for DAK/Glock trigger consistency over DA/SA as in Beretta or Sig?

NoBody
05-13-08, 20:45
Can I presume that's one vote for DAK/Glock trigger consistency over DA/SA as in Beretta or Sig?

You can!

I haven't tried it, but you should see about setting his thread up as a poll.

tiger seven
05-13-08, 20:46
Glock. :)

My second choice would be an M&P.

I don't hate DA/SA pistols but I much prefer something with a consistent trigger pull for every shot.

Derek

Gutshot John
05-13-08, 21:43
For Sig owners?

Would any of this change if I was not talking about the Glock?

For instance if the only choice was a Sig DAK, would most prefer the traditional DA/SA?

Sry0fcr
05-13-08, 21:56
DA/SA with manual safety/no decocker. I'd then proceed to carry it cocked and locked. :)

IrishDevil
05-13-08, 22:06
Well, I was a big Sig fan for awhile, DA/SA variant. Then I got into 1911/Glock and the consistent trigger mentality. But lately the HK P30 has really grown on me and it's a DA/SA. I'm comfortable with both types. If I was going to pick just one type it wouldn't be DA/SA. Depending on the shooter, I'd say most are best served with a consistent trigger type. I just wish the P30 was available with the LEM trigger.

losbronces
05-13-08, 22:11
For Sig owners?

Would any of this change if I was not talking about the Glock?

For instance if the only choice was a Sig DAK, would most prefer the traditional DA/SA?

I prefer my Sig 229 with SRT over the DAK that I tried in the same model. But I have found that after shooting the 229 with the SRT, I have had problems switching immediately to a 226 without the SRT. I wind up not allowing the trigger to reset before trying to squeeze off the next round. I guess I'll have to go SRT for all my Sigs.

My follow-up shots are definetly faster with DA/SA.

DocGKR
05-13-08, 22:20
I like a consistent, trigger of 5-6 lbs, with short reset: 1911, M&P, and Glock are better for me than DA/SA, DAK, or LEM.

Raiden
05-13-08, 22:32
In my limited experience I prefer a single pull to DA/SA.

I'm taking pains to make everything about my defensive handgun more simple: trigger pull, sight picture, even the feel of the grip. I recently acquired a 2nd-gen G19 and I put a smooth-faced trigger on it, and it's getting Heinie Straight 8's when he releases the new "Ledge" sight set.

Gutshot John
05-14-08, 07:44
Seems like there is a trend that Glock owners tend to prefer the consistent Glock trigger pull shot-after-shot.

Sig owners prefer the DA/SA and that the DAK is not quite the answer.

So I guess it boils down to what you're used to?

telecustom
05-14-08, 12:59
I run both the Glock and the Springfield XD. They both have very similar triggers.

I like that fact that when I pull the weapon, I don't have to worry about a stupid safety. I know safeties have their place but if the weapon is carried correctly, then it should not be an issue.

Raiden
05-14-08, 13:45
Seems like there is a trend that Glock owners tend to prefer the consistent Glock trigger pull shot-after-shot.Yes. In my case, by choice, after trying other things. I've owned a G30 and a USPc, and I have experience with Sig, my dad's old S&W Mod 39, etc. I've come back to the G19 because I the combination of trigger and caliber means I can hit with it easily. As we all know here, a 3.5lb connector and an NY1 makes it simple, consistent, and gives it a strong reset.

Of course with enough work I could learn Sig DA/SA, run a 1911, or even eventually be able to hit with my USPc :o but on my limited budget the G19 is exactly what I want. I decided to come back to Glock after I tried a friend's new 21SF with 3.5 connector and a heavy Wolf trigger spring. I put a mag of 45 ACP through a silver-dollar sized hole at about seven yards as fast as I could get them off. I'd never done that with any handgun before, let alone a .45. For me, the trigger made all the difference.

Gutshot John
05-14-08, 15:07
I love Glock triggers. Even the standard 5# trigger I find pretty acceptable.

The 7# on the Sig DAK seems high for a DAO trigger, but that's probably because I'm used to the Glock.

Any input from Sig DAK owners?

PushPull
05-14-08, 16:24
I'm a new fan of the HK LEM/Match trigger on the Combat Competition. I have the Sig SA/DA Decock and the Kahr DAO as well.

ToddG
05-14-08, 21:49
I think more is made of the differences than warranted. Each system has its pros and cons.

One of the biggest strikes against the DA/SA nowadays is that so few instructors are really dialed in on how to teach it. I could recite a list of schools I've been to which came out and told students, "shooting a double action gun is harder." Talk about programming a student for failure!

If you're specifically talking about SIGs, the DA/SA with short reset trigger is the way to go in my opinion.

Lagadelphia
05-15-08, 00:38
I am in agreement with DocGKR. I only own Glocks and a 1911.

HAMMERDROP
05-16-08, 20:15
I like DA/SA triggers the best its just about all I have ever owned, well kept anyway. Only SIGS have two now 239&229 I wont say they are the smoothest triggers. But I have always liked the their firing pin safety I still have ten toes.
And the way my wife disregards General Rule #3 -jeez I need all the help I can get !
I do have a Kimber 1911 and its trigger is really sweet.

MRG

TDrift
05-18-08, 15:04
if glock trigger is as buttery smooth sig trigger. that is the best of both world!

Failure2Stop
05-18-08, 15:20
I voted based off of my personal preference, but I am a firm believer that effectiveness has much more to do with training and practice than method of operation.

The differences of who shoots well and who didn't is more closely related to instructor coaching ability in a course or personal practice than what pistol is being used to produce holes.

Gutshot John
05-18-08, 15:24
I voted based off of my personal preference, but I am a firm believer that effectiveness has much more to do with training and practice than method of operation.

The differences of who shoots well and who didn't is more closely related to instructor coaching ability in a course or personal practice than what pistol is being used to produce holes.

I completely agree.

Combat_Diver
05-21-08, 16:12
You only get out of training that which you put in. I long ago learned to master the DA/SA on the P38/P1/Beretta 92/CZ75 and SIG 226. However, I prefer SA cocked and locked on my M1911s (a dated 1916 on hip now), CZ75, BHP and Coonans. I do miss the trigger on my old HK P7 PSP however. I have never warmed up to the DAO/striker fired plastic guns.

CD

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-21-08, 19:13
Squeeze-cocker!

JonInWA
05-22-08, 14:04
If choosing one system, I prefer Glock. If choosing between DA/SA and DAK/LEM, I'd give a more qualified answer. My best trigger system, courtesy of Mike G. at SIG-Sauer is my DA/SA P225 with an action job and the short reset job.

But I also really like my P229 DAK, with its 6.5 lb pull, and shot-to-shot consistancy.

Best individual results are probably best obtained by choosing one system, and mastering it.

Best, Jon

Gutshot John
05-22-08, 18:15
However, I prefer SA cocked and locked on my M1911s (a dated 1916 on hip now),
CD

Do you prefer the SA 1911 because of the lighter SA pull...or because of consistency shot-to-shot?

Raichle 9
06-12-08, 10:03
I don't own either DA/SA or Glock safe action. I have shot both (Walther P-38, Beretta 92 FS, Glock 17).

I prefer my HK P7 M13 trigger. Though the squeeze cocking operation is unique; the trigger pull is sweet.

I originally learned to shoot with a 1911 on base as a Navy dependent. I liked the 1911 trigger, but I could never get used to cocked and locked.

I will be getting a German police trade-in P7 PSP soon.

Raichle 9

Alaskapopo
06-13-08, 03:55
1911's have the best trigger my second favorate system is the Glock. It is worlds better than the DAK or HK LEM though. I don't care for DA SA.
Pat

doughnut
06-13-08, 16:19
My duty weapon is a Sig 229 DA/SA and I have the most expereince with that system. I've had an opportunity to own and shoot other systems including 1911, LEM, DAK, and Striker Fire (Glock and M&P). Out of those systems I would rate the DAK as my favorite and striker fired and DA/SA second and third respectively. I find that although DAK is a long pull and reset it's also smooth. I shoot better and more consistently with a DAK than I do DA/SA in the same pistol (229). Given the opportunity to get a new duty weapon I would choose a DAK 229 first, Glock second, and a DA/SA Sig respectively third.

Lumpy196
06-15-08, 22:10
I prefer single action or striker fired, same pull from first to last, in the 4-6lb range.

Alaskapopo
06-16-08, 20:09
I prefer single action or striker fired, same pull from first to last, in the 4-6lb range.

I agree but I like it to be 3.5 to 5 pounds with a short reset. Basically 1911's and Glocks.
Pat

Saginaw79
06-17-08, 17:49

Try the HK45 in SA.

It beats my 1911 hands down AFA trigger pull.

I prefer traditional DA/SA, but I usually carry 'cocked and locked' w/ my HKs

Alaskapopo
06-18-08, 01:18
Try the HK45 in SA.

It beats my 1911 hands down AFA trigger pull.

I prefer traditional DA/SA, but I usually carry 'cocked and locked' w/ my HKs

I have tried it and I don't like it. I carried a USP in 45 as my first duty gun and the trigger in DA was terrible and in SA it had a long reset and was just so so for pull weight. Nothing like a good 3.5 pound 1911 pull with a short reset. Plus the HK has a high bore axis which magnifies muzzle flip.
Pat

panthercitycop
06-19-08, 22:19
I have found that I shoot my P229 SAS better than my city issued P226 DA/SA. I think it has to do with the consistant trigger pull.

uspopo
06-22-08, 21:00
After experiencing the Glock Safe-Action trigger, I have really come to appreciated it more than the traditional DA/SA setup. Nothing beats a SA or squeeze cocker though..

Stan