PDA

View Full Version : Best shop manuals?

Averageman
01-03-14, 15:12
I have two AR's and I would like to be able to maintain and later build my own AR from parts.
Just what are the best manuals and a brief list of specialty shop tools I will need to get started?

Iraqgunz
01-04-14, 03:51
There is no best shop manual and the tools can vary. Your best option is to get a copy of TM 9-1005-319-23&P and use it as a basic reference. I suggest you locate an armorer course and see first hand the tools, correct way of using them, etc...

Airhasz
01-04-14, 06:20
I have two AR's and I would like to be able to maintain and later build my own AR from parts.
Just what are the best manuals and a brief list of specialty shop tools I will need to get started?

Watch the AR videos at the Brownells site for starters, between those and the stickys on this site you should be on your way.

Averageman
01-04-14, 09:11
Thank you!
I have TN 05538C-23&P/2, however I was looking for something a little bigger, with a better spine and possibly laminated and with bigger pictures (yes, I do like pictures). that I can use on the bench while I'm working and not worry about wear to the manual, dirty hands and spills.
I have a bit more than basic hand tools, and a very well equipped shop, I was looking for higher quality specialty tools recommendations.
I'm looking forward to retiring in the next ten years and having more time on my hands would make "hobby building" something enjoyable for me.
During my time in the Military I did attended several armorers courses and found most of them very basic not at depot level where it would seem I need a better understanding of things. Also because I was in Armor most of my work in school was directed toward M2's, M240's and at the time (1984) 1911A1's. I will look for a local course though.
My local gun club, of which I am a member, is directed more toward pistol shooting and IDPA than rifle competitions with moving parts on the range.
Thank you for all of you help.

JiminAZ
01-04-14, 10:43
Take this with a grain of salt as I am a bit of a noob with AR's but I've been reading Patrick Sweeney's "Gunsmithing the AR-15" and my impression is that there's some very good fundamental info in there. A bit dated in places which is to be expected given the rate of change in offerings. But the fundamentals don't change (much).

fivestar51
01-05-14, 03:18
Take this with a grain of salt as I am a bit of a noob with AR's but I've been reading Patrick Sweeney's "Gunsmithing the AR-15" and my impression is that there's some very good fundamental info in there. A bit dated in places which is to be expected given the rate of change in offerings. But the fundamentals don't change (much).

I agree that this book is quite helpful. I attended an armor's course early last year held by Ned Christiansen. We were given copies of this book as part of the class. I still refer to it from time to time.

texasgunhand
01-05-14, 23:39
I hate to say this, but for building the lower.You can find some very nice vids. on you tube for free. IG has some great advise on finding a good armorer course, local if you can and getting some time with people that know the ins and outs and little tricks that will save you a bunch of scratches and time. I always learn faster by doing...I think really just enough time reading here you could build and maint. with no problem..

moxie
01-06-14, 15:38
You could take your TN apart and put it back together with clear plastic document protectors (Staple's, etc.) in a ring binder. Works great.

Joe Mamma
01-07-14, 08:54
Thank you!
I have TN 05538C-23&P/2, however I was looking for something a little bigger, with a better spine and possibly laminated and with bigger pictures (yes, I do like pictures). that I can use on the bench while I'm working and not worry about wear to the manual, dirty hands and spills.
I have a bit more than basic hand tools, and a very well equipped shop, I was looking for higher quality specialty tools recommendations.
I'm looking forward to retiring in the next ten years and having more time on my hands would make "hobby building" something enjoyable for me.
During my time in the Military I did attended several armorers courses and found most of them very basic not at depot level where it would seem I need a better understanding of things. Also because I was in Armor most of my work in school was directed toward M2's, M240's and at the time (1984) 1911A1's. I will look for a local course though.
My local gun club, of which I am a member, is directed more toward pistol shooting and IDPA than rifle competitions with moving parts on the range.

There is a lot of information out there. Really, it's too much because some of it is conflicting, and there are a lot of different ways to do something.

My suggestion is to start writing your own "how-to" notes as soon as possible (to supplement TM 9-1005-319-23&P or any other manual), and update your notes as you learn more. You will develop your own way of doing things and what you think is best.

Here is a link to some tools. It's an old thread. But it is still relevant and the author knows what he is doing. You definitely do NOT need all of these.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?7463-Tools-for-working-on-ARs-(at-shop-home-garage)

If you have specific questions about a particular part, tool, or how to do something, just ask. This is a great place.

Joe Mamma

Obscenejesster
01-07-14, 09:03
There is a lot of good information regarding AR's on the web in picture, written and video form.

Just take your laptop to the work bench with you.

ASH556
01-07-14, 10:41
Thank you!

I can't recommend the Semper Paratus course that IG teaches highly enough. I had been building and trouble-shooting AR's for 10 years prior to taking his armorer's course. I figured I was just taking the course to get the piece of paper and validate what I already knew. I was wrong. I learned a lot in the class. Yes, a lot of it was reinforcement of things I already knew, but when you're learning from someone like IG that's got 20+ years of doing something, he can teach you little tips and tricks and also tell you some things to avoid and why. Some of the things shown in youtube vids are flat out wrong, and while it might work one time, you might break a receiver the next time you try it.

Averageman
01-11-14, 05:52
Thanks everyone.
I got Sweeny's "Gunsmithing the AR15" and along with my TM I think I should be fine.
Your help here is greatly appreciated.
A/M