PDA

View Full Version : Please help me like my Glock 22 Gen3.

Mauser KAR98K
01-03-14, 16:30
...because I can't hit a damn thing with this. My groupings even at 7 yards are terrible. Ran a 3-gun match with about a year ago and did a 20 round stage with only 4 rounds on target. I contributed this to a new pistol, yet I had been a freakin' surgeon with Glock 17 Gen2 when I was in LE.

What I have noticed is while dry firing is the front sight does move with 80% of the time.

I really want to like the Glock. I have vast amounts of respect for it and wanted the 22 in the stable to also run 9mm in it as well. But this has me frustrated. A good friend is wanting to buy it off of me and I am about to oblige, but I still want to like my Glock enough to be just above proficient with it to keep it.

Is this a trigger issue?

EDC gun is an HK USP9FS, btw.

R0CKETMAN
01-03-14, 16:43
maybe more dry fire. Cartridge on front site post might help.

You could bench it and/or have another shooter take it for a spin to rule out the gun.

Failure2Stop
01-03-14, 17:14
If your groups are wildly different between a G17 and a G22 I would surmise that you are recoil sensitive.
The question that comes up is "how good are you right now with a G17?", and is it possible that you are a victim of "the older I get, the better I was" syndrome?

I shoot a G19 noticeably better than I shoot a M&P45. There are some inherent issues not directly related to me (POI in relation to POA, which hurts for precision at any distance that makes a precision hold difficult), but the heavier recoil definitely effects me if I am not conscious of what I am doing when trying to go as fast as possible.

I would recommend doing a few drills to get over the anticipation, if that is indeed the issue (small chance that it's something else).
Things that work:

Ball and dummy. Don't linger on it, as it's not a great drill if you are an intermediate or above shooter unless working pure accuracy.
Wall drill. Good dry-fire practice.
Empty berm drill. Really good drill, but drains a lot of ammo quickly.

Mixing them up after making ground with each is a good method.
You may also benefit from short range sessions instead of extended sessions. As you become more fatigued, sensitivity to recoil is amplified.

glockshooter
01-03-14, 17:29
"What I have noticed is while dry firing is the front sight does move with 80% of the time."

You have just established it is not the gun. If you are doing everything correctly and the gun prints all over the place then that would be a gun problem. Since you have picked up on the front sight movement then you have at least established what needs work. You have to be able to press the trigger completely to the rear without causing the sights to move. Once you have mastered that you can determine if the gun is the problem. I suspect you will find the gun does exactly what you make it do.

Matt

Mauser KAR98K
01-03-14, 17:53
"What I have noticed is while dry firing is the front sight does move with 80% of the time."

You have just established it is not the gun. If you are doing everything correctly and the gun prints all over the place then that would be a gun problem. Since you have picked up on the front sight movement then you have at least established what needs work. You have to be able to press the trigger completely to the rear without causing the sights to move. Once you have mastered that you can determine if the gun is the problem. I suspect you will find the gun does exactly what you make it do.

Matt

Here is the deal; I only notice it with this gun. With my HKs and my M&Ps, I do not see this and i have tight groupings with them (HKs are tighter than the M&Ps. In fact have been doing a lot of trigger work in the past six months that I have had a mark improvement. But this Glock is not doing it for me.

Failure. I have done ball and dummy drills, and I have noticed some anticipation, but have since worked a lot of that out. I am also not recoil sensitive as I shoot .45ACP well. I do excellent work with my M&P45. They only recoil issue I have is with my index finger after about 300 rounds; got tendinitis in the joint. Thus I have gone to an HK USP45 for that issue.

I have tried moving my trigger finger around on the Glock, going from the first knuckle closest to the pad all the way to the tip and I see this front site flinch.

walkin' trails
01-03-14, 20:06
Do both guns have the same triggers? If so, I also prescribe a lit of dry fire as well as some dummy round drills. If the 22 has a heavier trigger such as the NY-1 or the 8 lb connector and you're not used to it, that could throw you off. Another thing could be the recoil of the 40 over the 9. The last thing is the difference in frames. I have a shooter with two 22s, a Gen 2 and a 3. He averages better scores with the 2, although triggers are both 5 lb. Get with an instructor before you go selling the 22, but there's no shame in sticking with the 17

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

jck397
01-04-14, 02:00
Glocks have a lot of variation with the quality of the trigger pull between individual weapons, so you might be working against an ugly trigger in addition to any technique and fundamentals issues you may be facing. If you shoot well with other Glocks, are committed to staying with a .40, and can swap this one out, you might consider picking up a Gen. 4 G22, which is a far better option for .40 in my opinion, may improve the trigger (especially if you can dry fire before buying), and will reduce felt recoil a bit. Although it probably isn't the only cause, it might be a contributing factor.

A question worth asking is what role is the G22 filling for you that your other guns are not? If you don't have a strong need to have a Glock in general, or a Glock .40 specifically, would your time, effort, and training funds be better spent on the platforms you carry and are comfortable with, rather than fighting something that you might not actually need? Just some food for thought...

Noodle
01-04-14, 06:52
I say recoil if the gun is fully functional. You say you have no problem with a .45. Well that's a slow big bullet and will generate less recoil then a .40 which is a fast big bullet. I find steel frame pistols handle the .40 much better than polymer. I would consider going back to a 17 (fast small bullet) which has much less recoil if you want to stay with Glock. My new shooter girlfriend is doing quite well with her 19. Good luck!

Psalms144.1
01-04-14, 07:01
Front sight "jump" is quite common in dry-fire with Glocks, due to the force of the striker hitting home on a VERY lightweight pistol held loosely (as many people are likely to do with dry fire because we know we don't have to fight recoil).

Increase you grip pressure - primarily with the support hand - and see what happens during dry fire.

WRT getting horrible accuracy in live fire, I'd be inclined to diagnose flinchitis, which I find is a VERY common malady for folks "up gunning" to 40 S&W in the Glock platform...

Best of luck!

ptmccain
01-04-14, 08:25
Replace the front sights.

Oh, and replace the G22 with a 9mm.

Bmoe
01-04-14, 11:19
Replace the front sights.

Oh, and replace the G22 with a 9mm.

I agree with this. I grew up shooting a Glock 19 my dad got for us in like 1994. When I turned 21 I got a Glock 22, never shot it like I did the Glock 19. I am now back to a G17 and 26, I shoot them way better than .40 caliber glocks.

ptmccain
01-04-14, 11:22
The simple fact is that good quality JHP 9mm is as good as 40SW.

It's why a lot of folks are moving out of 40 to 9mm.

LightningFast
01-04-14, 11:23
Well, the performance certainly isn't a gun issue.

But, why keep a gun you don't like? Because it's what the cool guys on the internet like?
I vote for selling it and buy something you'll actually enjoy shooting.

ptmccain
01-04-14, 11:35
Actually, for an individual shooter, a G22 may be a "gun issue" ... 40SW is not as controllable for many people as a 9mm is.

If I were in his shoes, I would sell the G22 and get the G19.

glockshooter
01-04-14, 15:38
Here is the deal; I only notice it with this gun. With my HKs and my M&Ps, I do not see this and i have tight groupings with them (HKs are tighter than the M&Ps. In fact have been doing a lot of trigger work in the past six months that I have had a mark improvement. But this Glock is not doing it for me.

Failure. I have done ball and dummy drills, and I have noticed some anticipation, but have since worked a lot of that out. I am also not recoil sensitive as I shoot .45ACP well. I do excellent work with my M&P45. They only recoil issue I have is with my index finger after about 300 rounds; got tendinitis in the joint. Thus I have gone to an HK USP45 for that issue.

I have tried moving my trigger finger around on the Glock, going from the first knuckle closest to the pad all the way to the tip and I see this front site flinch.

Your results with other guns is irrelevant to your original post. There is no way around the fact you are causing the gun to move through your trigger press. No one is trying to offend you we are trying to answer your question. I carry an issued G22G4 and it is very accurate. When we transitioned our department over there were people that had issues switching from our old USP40s. Once we got them to understand they were different than our old guns we got everyone got switched and qual'ed. A Glock has a very unique trigger. Once you master it glocks are easy. You have said twice that you are causing the sights to move while pressing the trigger, so you know what is causing the lack of accuracy.

Matt

Mauser KAR98K
01-04-14, 17:50
Your results with other guns is irrelevant to your original post. There is no way around the fact you are causing the gun to move through your trigger press. No one is trying to offend you we are trying to answer your question. I carry an issued G22G4 and it is very accurate. When we transitioned our department over there were people that had issues switching from our old USP40s. Once we got them to understand they were different than our old guns we got everyone got switched and qual'ed. A Glock has a very unique trigger. Once you master it glocks are easy. You have said twice that you are causing the sights to move while pressing the trigger, so you know what is causing the lack of accuracy.

Matt

So how do I master this? It has been a rather long time since I had fired a Gen 2,G17.

The Glock22 is a stable filler to have a Glock, and to have a .40 S&W (and convert it to 9mm). It is expendable as well...so. But I do want to keep it, but I want to justify it. My neighbors have Glock 22s, so I want something in some way comparable to them, and to the local LE.

I will start working with the strengthening my support side more.

glockshooter
01-04-14, 19:58
In my experience training shooters the easiest ( but not very exciting) way is through dry fire. The idea is if you can't master pressing the trigger without deflecting the sight firing live rounds then do it dry. Dry firing allows the shooter to see exactly how they are affecting the sight posture and alignment throughout he trigger press. Once you can press the trigger without affecting the sights consistently you can move to ball and dummy. Once you master that and are not affecting the sights during this drill move to regular live fire. If you start getting sloppy again go back to dry fire/ ball and dummy. Another thing I figured out years ago is that a shooter needs to pick a platform and stick to it. You can be proficient with a bunch of guns, but you can't really master one if you keep changing platforms.

Matt