PDA

View Full Version : Specialized IFAK for my dad

tdoom15
01-04-14, 05:17
My dad is 66 and just went through surgery, radiation and chemo in the last year for throat cancer and beat it which I'm greatful for. Seems that it is common for blood clots to form after going through such a thing and this week he was admitted for a couple days with clotting in his legs and a couple that moved to his lungs. He is now going to be on xarelto (blood thinner) for the foreseeable future and he already bleeds/bruises easily.

I'd like to put together some sort of medical kit that he can keep with him incase of emergency while at home or away. Does anyone have any suggestions as to specific items that would be helpful in his situation? Any info or recommendations would be appreciated.

ggammell
01-04-14, 06:01
You might consider contacting Dark Angel or similar direct. I would bet they would work with you on a solution.

brown3345
01-04-14, 06:47
When people are using blood thinners they can sometimes have problems stopping blood flow when they get cut. There are products out that work well like Quik Clot. I have used them in the past with good results overall.

HighSpeedDreams
01-04-14, 10:01
Hope your dad is feeling better. Sounds like a tough dude.

You can customize a med kit, to include contents and carrier, on the following site;
http://custommedkits.com/build-your-kit/

If you're LE/MIL, you can 15% of TacMed Solutions gear on ProMotive.com. Depending on the size of kit you're providing your father, i'd recommend their Olaes bandage. It's available at most outlets distributing medical products.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbKDNuLB54A

If your father is the type that can't be bothered with a large kit that he has to lug around everywhere, you might consider a low-profile ankle rig. I've been running the Low-Vis kit from Rogue Gunfighter and couldn't be more happy with it. Keep in mind this would significant limit the number of items your father would have on board.
https://www.roguegunfighter.com/index.php/shop/medkits/no-vis-medkit-detail

Although the inter-web is brimming with confessionals from blood thinner patients achieving rapid hemostasis with agents such as QuickClot, I would recommend having your father consult his physician to ensure that Kaolin is not contraindicated in xarelto patients. Especially one with his medical history.

Keep us posted.

tdoom15
01-04-14, 18:56
Thanks for all the info so far, I definitely want to consult with his Dr before purchasing anything other than dressings. Admittedly, medical is an area I've neglected for far too long.

I should have mentioned it before, but he carries a small shoulder bag with him that carries all the things he needs on a daily basis, so a normal sized kit should fit in there no problem.

What do you guys think about the Adventure Medical trauma pack, and what would you add to it besides the olaes bandage? Or would I just be better off designing my own?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003BS2PW4

HighSpeedDreams
01-04-14, 20:36
What do you guys think about the Adventure Medical trauma pack, and what would you add to it besides the olaes bandage? Or would I just be better off designing my own?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003BS2PW4

I'm not a fan of that particular kit, or others like it, for your intended purpose(s). In a time is life situation, especially one where your loved one is hemorrhagic, I would want them to be intimately familiar with the contents of their kit. Far too often, IMHO, people purchase sealed all-in-one kits for the convenience and (arguably the largest reasons kits like sell in such high volumes) the semblance of sterility. Both are huge pros for long term storage and/or the occasional non-exigent use.

In the case of your father, I believe that a hand-picked kit comprised of items he can easily locate, understand, and apply quickly is ideal. Let's also consider that your father may have uses for this kit that are not always going to be blowout/trauma related. Once you rip open one of those sealed kits for something as simple as one of those 2x2's for a small cut, the rest of it (unless it's individually wrapped) is garbage.

Get in touch with Pocket Doc http://www.darkangelmedical.com and have him address your individual needs. He is far more knowledgable than I am and could probably put together the perfect kit for you. You'll spend significantly more money, but we're talking about your father, so I'm sure you won't mind.

Whatever items you do decide upon, make sure to purchase spares. Make sure that the first time your dad sees the bandage(s) isn't when he's under duress and bleeding. Train with what you purchase and ensure that you get him to an acceptable level of comfort with his kit. Shouldn't take more then 2-3 dry runs.

Ranger325
01-05-14, 11:40
Get in touch with Pocket Doc http://www.darkangelmedical.com and have him address your individual needs. He is far more knowledgable than I am and could probably put together the perfect kit for you. You'll spend significantly more money, but we're talking about your father, so I'm sure you won't mind.

I completely agree with this suggestion. I took a class from Kerry this summer. He knows his stuff - AF Medic, EMT, RN - and is great people.

ST911
01-05-14, 12:44
I built an EDC kit with a cancer patient who was consistently neutropenic, had assorted complications, but still had some daily travel and rec needs. It contained the usual BOK/IFAK items useful for anyone, and the following more specific to his circumstances. Your dad's needs will vary, but you may find something useful here. There are some convenience/comfort items in here too, and is from memory, so I may be back to edit.

quick-ref card.... onco-doc's info, primary facility, ICE contacts, all meds, allergy, summary of pertinent hx.
hand sanitizer(s), disinfectant wipes (area or body, not wound/alcohol preps)
Vomit bag, roll-up, disposable, tubular kind not an airline barf bag. Think of a bread-bag.
small sunscreen tube
toothbrush and paste
licky-chewy-suckys or small snack
water/pedialyte
change of clothes (scrubs roll up tight)
thermometer
meds, antiemetics were in high demand

All this fit in a small shoulder bag, GP medium pouch in some cases, or small backpack the patient could carry daily. Not all is useful all the time, but at particular points in treatment these items made a big difference.

Hope this helps.

Caduceus
01-06-14, 07:47
My dad is 66 and just went through surgery, radiation and chemo in the last year for throat cancer and beat it which I'm greatful for. Seems that it is common for blood clots to form after going through such a thing and this week he was admitted for a couple days with clotting in his legs and a couple that moved to his lungs. He is now going to be on xarelto (blood thinner) for the foreseeable future and he already bleeds/bruises easily.

I'd like to put together some sort of medical kit that he can keep with him incase of emergency while at home or away. Does anyone have any suggestions as to specific items that would be helpful in his situation? Any info or recommendations would be appreciated.

You ask for an IFAK in your title (which, by definition, is a trauma kit aimed at battlefield injuries), then in your last line ask for a kit "in case of emergency while at home or away."

I think you need to better define if this is a medical (ie, meds, needles/syringes if needed, maybe some minor trauma gear) or a trauma (quick-clot, TQ, big scary bleeding and airway things) kit before we can really recommend something.

Like Skintop911 says, needs of the patient dictate needs of the kit. i wouldn't include zofran in a trauma kit, likewise I wouldn't put a TQ in with a kit full of tylenol, insulin and a barf-bag.

chuckman
01-06-14, 08:59
You ask for an IFAK in your title (which, by definition, is a trauma kit aimed at battlefield injuries), then in your last line ask for a kit "in case of emergency while at home or away."

I think you need to better define if this is a medical (ie, meds, needles/syringes if needed, maybe some minor trauma gear) or a trauma (quick-clot, TQ, big scary bleeding and airway things) kit before we can really recommend something.

Like Skintop911 says, needs of the patient dictate needs of the kit. i wouldn't include zofran in a trauma kit, likewise I wouldn't put a TQ in with a kit full of tylenol, insulin and a barf-bag.

Good word. He doesn't need an IFAK/BOK, he needs what he needs. My mother had crazy INR for years and would ooze if you looked at her wrong. Her kit for her purse? A couple small kerlix, some 2x2s,a nd some band-aids. He doesn't need fancy or expensive.

joshrunkle35
01-06-14, 10:53

IFAK stands for "Individual First Aid Kit". The original title is appropriate.

KingCobra
01-06-14, 11:08
When people are using blood thinners they can sometimes have problems stopping blood flow when they get cut. There are products out that work well like Quik Clot. I have used them in the past with good results overall.

You referring to the quick clot pepper looking stuff? if so, I would suggest "combat gauze", it's a gauze with "quick clot inside" because quick clot by itself if hard to vacuum out of a would, especially if it burns the would and sticks.

Caduceus
01-06-14, 13:19
IFAK stands for "Individual First Aid Kit". The original title is appropriate.

Actually, it stands for "Improved First Aid Kit" in the Army, versus "Individual First Aid Kit" in other services.

www.usamma.amedd.army.mil/assets/docs/IFAK.pdf

Either way, the IFAK is a trauma-oriented kit. It's not a medicine-oriented kit. Which goes back to my first post - what is he trying to aim this towards?

lunchbox
01-06-14, 14:11
You referring to the quick clot pepper looking stuff? if so, I would suggest "combat gauze", it's a gauze with "quick clot inside" because quick clot by itself if hard to vacuum out of a would, especially if it burns the would and sticks.I think he ment combat gauze/quick clot. I take blood thinners and keep CG/QC in kits, stashed and tucked all over.

brown3345
01-06-14, 18:33
Yep, that's the stuff. We have used that with decent results in the past.

I think he ment combat gauze/quick clot. I take blood thinners and keep CG/QC in kits, stashed and tucked all over.