PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Switchblade Laws

NoBody
05-13-08, 20:37
I've heard that you may legally own a switchblade in Georgia, but not carry. I've also heard that you can carry. Anyone know what the law is in Georgia concerning automatic/switchblade knife carry? I'm guessing that open carry is legal, but concealed it not. However, I would hate to guess wrong!

b_saan
05-13-08, 23:25
I don't personally have any info for you, but here's a decent starting point...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchblade

The state y/n list has links to copies of each state's code.

NoBody
05-14-08, 05:09
Thanks, but already been there. As I read the actual Georgia statutes, the only reference to "switchblades" I find is mainly limited to schools. Also, there is a reference to "offensive and defensive" knives not being legal to conceal.

RD62
05-14-08, 07:02
I'd suggest you contact an attorney, or perhaps the GBI and ask for clarification. Good luck!

-RD62

markm
05-14-08, 11:43
I swear to God. Humans are basically Retards as a whole. How an automatic feature on a knife makes it any more or less lethal, and thus worthy of legislation, is beyond stupid.

I think automatic knives where the shit to me when I was a 3rd grader.

NoBody
05-14-08, 11:49
I swear to God. Humans are basically Retards as a whole. How an automatic feature on a knife makes it any more or less lethal, and thus worthy of legislation, is beyond stupid.

I think automatic knives where the shit to me when I was a 3rd grader.

If you look at the statues then you'll see most of the weapons laws in the United States are an attempt to take the tools-of-the-trade away from criminals (we'll leave the 'race' issue out of this one for now, e.g., the Gun Control Act of 1968). Switchblades were all the rage with street gangs back in the 1950's. Ban switchblades and the street gangs would lose their tendancy for violence, right? :rolleyes:

markm
05-14-08, 12:21
Hmmm... yeah.

I always assumed the irrational fear was spawn out of from hollywood nonsense.

Either way, it's so dumb. Even worse is these dealers who'll only sell auto's to cops. :rolleyes:

NoBody
05-14-08, 12:43
Either way, it's so dumb. Even worse is these dealers who'll only sell auto's to cops. :rolleyes:

Federal law restricts purchases across state-lines (under interstate commerce which the Supreme Court has affirmed) to active-duty military, police, EMT, Federal employees, handicapped (blade less than 3" if only use of one arm), etc. It also generally bans their possession and/or use on federal property and U.S. territories, etc. Inside your state, automatics may be governed by state and/or local laws.

I tend to think of automatics in the knife "culture" as being the equivalent to NFA firearms. Just cheaper and less red tape.

warpigM-4
05-14-08, 12:56
in Alabama it is legal to carry in case on belt,if you dare some police dont know that.
if you are missing a arm or can not use you hand to open a knife you can have one.
it is legal to buy and own here as a collector.
and if blade is under 4 inches .
I would call your local sheriff and ask

markm
05-14-08, 13:03
Wow. That's so silly and irrational.

I remember Lotboy had some issue when he got his automatic a few years back. I can't remember exactly what the issue was, but it was like he was buying a firearm or something.

NoBody
05-14-08, 13:19
Wow. That's so silly and irrational.

I remember Lotboy had some issue when he got his automatic a few years back. I can't remember exactly what the issue was, but it was like he was buying a firearm or something.

I've been carrying automatics for the past 10 years without any problem. Of course, I'm also active-duty military and take the time to learn the laws of each state that I visit.

LEO's seem largely ignorant of the state and local laws governing knives, but it's not my place to educate them or put them in a situation where they may have to make a judgment call.

Now, if you want to talk about stupid: My CWP allows my to carry my handgun concealed in North Carolina, but I can not legally conceal my Benchmade automatic knife (open carry only).

RD62
05-14-08, 14:29
I have been a SC CWP holder for 10 years. I was a RCSD reserve deputy for 4 years. Every year in training there were always scenarios that involved a CWP holder (normally during traffic stops). Every year the MAJORITY of officers were ignorant of the CWP laws. They wanted to take the pistol, arrest the CWP holder, etc just because the holder was there and armed. That's why I suggested contacting your state regulatory agency or an attorney.

Get the statute and print in on a card and put it in your wallet.

It's a sad fact that a lot of LE don't know these laws, but it's reality. The vast majority would put you in "investigative detention" and check with a suprevisor if they didn't know and then send you an your way.

Make it your job to ensure you are compliant with your state laws. Just my .02.

-RD62

NoBody
05-14-08, 14:54
Yeah, I just bought a CWP badge because I don't want an "excited" LE putting rounds down towards me if I'm involved in a self-defense shooting. I resisted buying one for many years, but a buddy of mine that teaches concealed carry classes convinced me to buy one.

FWIW, I can't find anything in Georgia statues that make open carry of automatic knives illegal (with the exception of schools and a city ordinance).

RD62
05-14-08, 15:42
FWIW, I thnk the CWP badges are a bad idea.

I still think you should call the GBI or whichever agency is responsib;e for dissemenating update legals to LE agencies. For example, here in SC I would call the SLED Regulatory division.

-RD62

NoBody
05-14-08, 16:06
FWIW, I thnk the CWP badges are a bad idea.

This is a bit off topic, but why? :confused:

KUmike
05-14-08, 16:38
This is a bit off topic, but why? :confused:

CCW Badge discussion (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/concealed-carry-issues-discussions/25924-chl-badges.html)

NoBody
05-14-08, 16:58
Thanks, but that was just about a totally worthless thread. Bad idea, got it. Not much sound reasoning or discussion though. There was definitely an air of arrogance on the part of the members in that thread.

RD62
05-14-08, 17:16
The whole impersonation of an officer thing is a big one for me. I understand wanting to ID yourself in a use of force situation, but I think this is the wrong idea.

Are you going to wear it on a lanyard around your neck? In a badge wallet? On your belt by your weapon? They all scream cop intentionally or not.

When I was a cop I carried a badge. Now I'm not and I don't. I would have seen it as a poser with unknown intentions. In contact with LE, at least here, you have to show your CWP anyway. I don't need a badge to do that. If I open my wallet and intentionally or unintentionally flash a CCW badge, I don't think it would fly too well with the locals. I just don't get warm and fuzzies from it.

It's your life, do as you wish. I just don't like em.

-RD62

NoBody
05-14-08, 17:18
Excellent points. Here's what Florida's Division of Licensing says (I'm a Florida CWP):

QUESTION 9. I am a Florida license holder, and I have recently received a solicitation in the mail for an "official badge" identifying me as such a license holder. Are these badges legal? Does the Division endorse these badges?

No, the Division does not endorse these badges, but they are not illegal. There is nothing in Florida law that specifically prohibits companies from offering to sell these badges to Florida license holders, nor is there any provision that prohibits license holders from carrying such badges.

License holders should be aware that the use of official badges is prohibited in Florida Statutes in a couple of places. Section 30.46 specifies that a badge in the shape of a five-pointed star can be used by Florida sheriffs and deputy sheriffs only. Section 843.085 makes it unlawful to wear or display any authorized indicia of authority (including any badge) which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency.

Licensees should also take note that these badges do not substitute for identification or confirmation of your status as a holder of a Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License. Only the license issued by the Division will serve as a means of identifying a citizen as a license holder. (Retrieved on May 14, 2008, from http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html)

Interesting article covering the con's: http://legallyarmed.com/resources/fakebadge.html

Don Robison
05-14-08, 17:25
Section 843.085 makes it unlawful to wear or display any authorized indicia of authority (including any badge) which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency.

That one right there should be enough to make you not want the hassle of proving that it was an unreasonable person who thought you were a cop.

NoBody
05-14-08, 17:33
That one right there should be enough to make you not want the hassle of proving that it was an unreasonable person who thought you were a cop.

I concur. My thinking is the the CWP badge should never be seen unless the weapon had to be drawn and an LE is approaching. I wonder now if weapon on the ground and hands-on-top-of-the-head is smarter than "look at this shiny thing and don't shoot me." :rolleyes:

I just cancelled the order for the CWP badge....I should have blown off my buddy. Instructor or not, it does seem like a bad idea.

RD62
05-14-08, 18:09
I wonder now if weapon on the ground and hands-on-top-of-the-head is smarter than "look at this shiny thing and don't shoot me."

I think this is the way to go.

-RD62

Don Robison
05-14-08, 19:40
I concur. My thinking is the the CWP badge should never be seen unless the weapon had to be drawn and an LE is approaching. I wonder now if weapon on the ground and hands-on-top-of-the-head is smarter than "look at this shiny thing and don't shoot me." :rolleyes:

I just cancelled the order for the CWP badge....I should have blown off my buddy. Instructor or not, it does seem like a bad idea.

Glad I could help. I think your new approach would be looked at in a better light:)

RogerinTPA
05-14-08, 20:52
I think the whole badge thing is retarded. I got one of those mailings to and gave it all the attention it deserves....I shredded it.;)

Furious
05-19-08, 18:32
I hope its OK to carry an auto-knife in GA. I've got three Boker autos in the mail coming my way.

NoBody
05-19-08, 19:50
I hope its OK to carry an auto-knife in GA. I've got three Boker autos in the mail coming my way.

From what I can tell, it is legal as long as they are not concealed. This is based of the sections that make it illegal to conceal any defensive or offensive knives.

Furious
05-19-08, 20:16
From what I can tell, it is legal as long as they are not concealed. This is based of the sections that make it illegal to conceal any defensive or offensive knives.

Sounds good to me. The cool thing about the Boker is that it doesnt look much different than a regular folding knife.

NoBody
05-19-08, 20:23
Sounds good to me. The cool thing about the Boker is that it doesnt look much different than a regular folding knife.

I own Benchmade 3500, 9050 (three...my favorite), and 9100 autos myself. I've considered the BM 3300 Infidel, but couldn't justify it as the blade really is just for stabbing (like my 3500, but more expensive). Which Boker do you own? :D

Furious
05-19-08, 20:49
I own Benchmade 3500, 9050 (three...my favorite), and 9100 autos myself. I've considered the BM 3300 Infidel, but couldn't justify it as the blade really is just for stabbing (like my 3500, but more expensive). Which Boker do you own? :D

I've got three of the Dark Earth colored Kalashnikovs coming in the mail. I got them on a trade from a knife dealer in N.C.
Hes also got some KABAR USMC fighting knives but police dont like the Rambo look nowadays...lol.

NoBody
05-19-08, 21:04
I've got three of the Dark Earth colored Kalashnikovs coming in the mail. I got them on a trade from a knife dealer in N.C.
Hes also got some KABAR USMC fighting knives but police dont like the Rambo look nowadays...lol.

Ah, I've had my Marine Ka-Bar for 13 years now. It has been everywhere with me and is always my personal back-up when I'm deployed. Everyone looks at a guy with Ka-Bar on his hip with a look of both bemusement and fear. ;)