PDA

View Full Version : 1911 malfunction. case in front of extractor ftf on last round.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-13-08, 20:43
Hey guys,

My Colt is having a weird problem. When using Wilson or Novak's 8 round mags, the gun will have a ftf on the last round in the mag every two or three mags. The cartridge will be about 30% in the chamber but the base of the round will be in front of the extractor. In other words, the round is almost in, but for some reason the case is in front of the extractor hook, rather than being caught by it. All you have to do is sort of pull the slide back a bit and the round will usually go in.

Also, the brass is scattered in a rainbow. Some front, some side, some waaay to the side, some behind.

Any clues? :confused:

the1911fan
05-13-08, 21:27
Greg check here see if any look familiar

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=52142&an=0&page=0#52142

I'd check the mags first, springs might be weak ( I don't like any 1911 mags that have Wilson or Novak style followers).

second I'd check the recoil spring and go with a Wolff 18.5 Lb. (if its a 5" 1911) and change the firing pin spring also.

third check the extractor tension.

Firing pin stop/extractor fit might be loose also (extractor clocking causing the rainbow extraction pattern)

Gunfighter13
05-13-08, 21:30
Whats the round count on the gun?

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-13-08, 21:42
As far as the mags, I don't think so (but who knows?). The Novak's mag works in my other 1911s fine. The Wilson mag is brand new.

The gun has a low (sub-1000) round count.

I will change the springs for this weekend.

Gunfighter13
05-13-08, 21:54
As far as the mags, I don't think so (but who knows?). The Novak's mag works in my other 1911s fine. The Wilson mag is brand new.

The gun has a low (sub-1000) round count.

I will change the springs for this weekend.

I would change the recoil and fireing pin springs. You should be getting 2000 to 2500 rounds from a Wolf spring but even Wolf says to change them when you see a change in the gun.

I know your not, but if your limp wristing, stop. It will produce the failures you have listed.

toddackerman
05-13-08, 22:33
Had the same problem with 5 new Wilson ETM's. The springs are weak. I replaced the springs and followers with the Tripp Super 7 upgrade and the problems went away. Of course they are now 7 rounds mags., but that's all a Wilson 8 round mag is...a 7 round mag tube trying to become an 8 round mag with gimmicks inside like thinner gauge wire springs, and shortened followers.

If you take a Tripp GENII Cobra Mag and lay it along side an ETM, you'll see what I'm talking about.

The issue is that the mag is losing control of the top round because the tension of the spring is weak allowing the round to jump out and ahead before sliding under the extractor hook and letting the follower prematurely actuate the slide lock.

evilmonkey
05-13-08, 22:34
Sounds like the recoil spring! my springfield did the same thing and i had under 1000 rounds, put it in and the problem went away! Get a 18# recoil spring or even a 18.5# recoil spring but I woulndn't go higher then that or it will tear up the gun! If that doesn't work then I would try a new extractor, I could be a little to much pressure. I doubt its the mags since the wilson mag is new. Im having a problem with my springfield having a bolt over base malfunction when I release the slide stop on a fully loaded Wilson mags and I still havent figured out why:confused: . Good luck!!

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-13-08, 23:10
I am going to replace the springs before I go shooting on Friday. I will just eliminate the posibilities one by one. Until then, 7 rounders only!

I know your not, but if your limp wristing, stop. It will produce the failures you have listed.

Well, I don't think I am! But if so, it doesn't show up in my other 1911s with the same mags. So the problem is with the gun either way.

Ed L.
05-13-08, 23:18
Does the gun work with other mags? It sounds like this is a recent problem with the new mags.

Also, does it do it with all brands of ammo? Is it occurring with a brand of ammo that you have not used before?

Normally I would say that it sounds like a too tight follower. However the fact that it was not happening before, is happening with the new mags, and is only happening with the last round seems to indicate otherwise--sounds like it may be a mag follower issue.

Going by the 10-8 guides listed, I use the followers and springs from the 10-8 super replacement kits to replace the springs and followers of my CMC powermags. They are indeed the most bulletproof thing out there. I would do this with your WIlson mags.

As much as I love 1911s, sometimes getting them to run reliably and figuring out what is going wrong is a friggin science fair project.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-14-08, 00:40
Yeah, the gun works fine on 7 rounders.

I ran only 230 grain ball. This ammo works fine in all my other 1911s.

I am so sick in the head, I actually enjoy the process of debugging my 1911s. :D :eek:

Ed L.
05-14-08, 02:24
Not just ball ammo, but is it the same brand of 230 grain ball?

As I said, get the Tripp super7 replacement follower & springs and install them in your 8 rounders. They will give you mags that are way more reliable.

toddackerman
05-14-08, 07:45
Sounds like the recoil spring! my springfield did the same thing and i had under 1000 rounds, put it in and the problem went away! Get a 18# recoil spring or even a 18.5# recoil spring but I woulndn't go higher then that or it will tear up the gun! If that doesn't work then I would try a new extractor, I could be a little to much pressure. I doubt its the mags since the wilson mag is new. Im having a problem with my springfield having a bolt over base malfunction when I release the slide stop on a fully loaded Wilson mags and I still havent figured out why:confused: . Good luck!!

It's not the recoil spring. Because the last round is coming out of the lips and letting the slide lock engage, this means that there's not enough tension in the mag spring to keep it in the mag before sliding into battery.

Now if the round was failing to go into battery, and the slide lock was not being activated, I would suggest a stronger recoil spring, but this isn't the problem you've described.

Sam
05-14-08, 07:50
Greg:
Where in GA are you? Thanks.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-14-08, 10:03
Sam,

Warner Robins.

Sam
05-14-08, 10:45
Ah, good old Warner Robins, I lived there for 3 years while working at the base. You drove a long way to go to that LAV/Hackathorn gig.
The reason I asked was that if you were around Atlanta, there are a few gunsmiths that can probably look at your gun and help you out.

Ridgerunner665
05-14-08, 12:36
Its your mags...more specifically...a combination of slightly weak mag springs and those abrupt feedlips on the Wilson mags (releasing the round too soon)...I know most people think that Wilson mags are the best thing since sliced bread...but I don't care for them, neither does my gun. Some 1911's just don't like them...

lindertw
05-14-08, 15:11
I had similar problems with a newer Colt Commander and brand spanking new Wilson 7-round magazines (Colt 7-rounders that came with the pistol worked great).

I suspected weak or out of spec magazine springs and Wilson took them back to inspect them. They said all was well, and it was most likely my Colt that was the problem and I should send it to them so they could get it to run :rolleyes:

I replaced the Wilson guts with Tripp springs/followers and the issue disappeared...

Hersh
05-14-08, 17:04
It sure sounds like weak mag springs to me. Try the Wolff 11# springs ... you can get them at Brownells.