PDA

View Full Version : M1A Scout Squad, Ultimak M8 rail, Aimpoint Comp M4s.

cpoth
01-04-14, 11:41
Hi guys,

I wanted to post some final pics of this setup in case other members may be thinking about something similar. I am hoping to get out to the range to zero it soon.

I will mention that in order to get the ADM low Comp M4 mount to fit I needed to modify the mount slightly with a hand file and cover it with Aluminum Black. This was done because the battery pack on the Comp M4s bumps into the right side of the mount. It took about 20 minutes, a file, aluminum black and some patience. You will notice in the pictures that the fitting screw on the mount is filed in two places. This was done because the fit of the mount on the rail I initially placed the mount on was different from the M8. (The initial mount used was a Vltor MUR upper receiver.)

My Ultimak M8 rail arrived yesterday from a member on M14forum, very nice rail, quick install. The thing I like most about it is the fact that it keeps the optic low enough that I don't need a cheek riser in order to center my dot in the Aimpoint glass.

I used a VTAC 2 point padded sling, Magpul rail mounted sling attachment, ITW C.L.A.S.H. hook (http://www.skdtac.com/ITW-C-L-A-S-H-Hook-p/itw.112.htm) to mount the sling.

Other than an extra AA in the stock thats all she wrote.

I will be using a load that I previously established in my Loaded M1A. 168 gr Sierra Matchking HPBT in front of 43.5 grains Varget powder and a Winchester large rifle primer. Mostly Winchester brass.

Let me know what you guys think and let me know if any questions pop up about it.

cpoth

ptmccain
01-04-14, 11:47
You may want to consider replacing the Comp M4 with the T1, a lot less bulk and heft to lug around. FWIW.

cpoth
01-04-14, 12:17
ptmccain,

Thanks, I definitely thought about that. I have a couple T1s, one for my SBR and one for a 14.5 middy and love them. For some reason I liked the idea of running this dot with a AA battery. I may change my mind in time but for now I think I'm gonna keep it as is. I agree with your logic however and may very well go that route in the future.

Thanks,
cpoth