PDA

View Full Version : Was this lower dry-fired w/o an upper? (pic)

manbearpig
01-04-14, 15:59

Based on the worn finish where the bolt catch contacts the top of the receiver, do you think this receiver was dry-fired without an upper? This lower came from the manufacturer as a complete lower and is new and unused. I can't see how those marks could happen without it being dry-fired without an upper but I'm new to this. Thanks for reading.

BGREID
01-04-14, 16:55
No. There would be a mark from the hammer hitting the frame if it had been dry fired.

justin_247
01-04-14, 18:16
No. There would be a mark from the hammer hitting the frame if it had been dry fired.

Not necessarily. I've seen a few lowers that were dry fired without the upper installed and there was no visible damage or markings. These lowers and their coatings are way tougher than people give them credit for.

BBossman
01-04-14, 18:22
Not sure which marks you're reffering to, but if you lower the hammer you'll see it contacts the bolt catch not the receiver.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

quaesitor logica
01-04-14, 18:25

Based on the worn finish where the bolt catch contacts the top of the receiver, do you think this receiver was dry-fired without an upper? This lower came from the manufacturer as a complete lower and is new and unused. I can't see how those marks could happen without it being dry-fired without an upper but I'm new to this. Thanks for reading.
I cant see how the marks that are visible on the lower would result from dry-firing

Heavy Metal
01-04-14, 18:55
Hammer will land on the back of the bolt hold-open. The energy will transfer to the lower where that mark is.

The mark isn't that bad and if it were mine, I would not sweat it. You should see issue rifles after a while after Pvt Snuffy gets his bored mits on one.

AFshirt
01-04-14, 18:59
You know, I taught basic M16 training at Lackland AFB for 12 of my 20 years in the AF. We did 300+ a day and no matter how many times we would tell the troops to not dry fire the gun with the receivers separated inevitably it always happened. Never ever ever did we find a lower that was messed up because of it. We are talking guns that were 20+ years old before they were converted to A2s and still kept into service. You think that if it was really that big of deal we would have at least found 1.

quaesitor logica
01-04-14, 19:05
Hammer will land on the back of the bolt hold-open. The energy will transfer to the lower where that mark is.

The mark isn't that bad and if it were mine, I would not sweat it. You should see issue rifles after a while after Pvt Snuffy gets his bored mits on one.

Interesting. So the marks on the lower are not created from direct physical contact but by energy transfer concentrating in that area and flaking off the finish?

Heavy Metal
01-04-14, 19:05
The main problem is not damaging the AL, it is breaking the Bolt Catch.