PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas Gift... Win. 1984 circa 1903

RIDE
01-04-14, 18:35
My Dad gave me this Winchester Model 1894 as a Christmas gift this year. It was my Great, Great grandfather's gun, purchased new in 1903.

It's so awesome to have this family heirloom, used by my great - great grandfather to feed and protect his family, then passed down to my great grandfather who did the same. My dad used this to shoot his first deer.

The coolest part is that I share the same initials as my great-great grandfather, and he carved his initials/brand into the stock of the gun 110 years ago. Pretty cool! I plan on hunting with it next season, can't wait!!!

Just thought I'd share for those lever-action fan out there.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7457/11594199224_05a96f9e27_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7344/11593890815_1b37f3b51a_b.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5525/11594208164_8a2455fd8f_c.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7374/11594108023_7a26e476f2_b.jpg

SeriousStudent
01-04-14, 18:44
Wow, that is very neat. There's just something very cool about family heirloom firearms. And an old lever-action has to be really high on that list.

Thanks for the pics, that's a very sweet gift. Your father is a fine fellow.

ALCOAR
01-04-14, 19:10
Very cool rifle, and one of the greatest gifts one could receive in my book. Good for you for actually using it as well.

Can't wait to read your great, great grandson's thread on M4C about the vintage LMT MRP his father just gave him for x-mas :)

SeriousStudent
01-04-14, 19:14
I am curious about one thing, are there any issues with using current day ammunition in that rifle?

And that would be something really neat, serving some breakfast venison sausage taken with that rifle.

beep
01-04-14, 19:34
That is cool. What a great heirloom to have to pass down to your children. What caliber is it by the way?

RIDE
01-04-14, 20:24
Very cool rifle, and one of the greatest gifts one could receive in my book. Good for you for actually using it as well.

Can't wait to read your great, great grandson's thread on M4C about the vintage LMT MRP his father just gave him for x-mas :)

Thanks Brother! Yeah, my forefathers would line up to take turns kicking my butt, if I took a perfectly working rifle handed down from them, used by every generation, then stuffed it in a safe to die a long slow BORING, STORY-LESS death. :)

You know I love my MRP's!!!

Wow, that is very neat. There's just something very cool about family heirloom firearms. And an old lever-action has to be really high on that list.

Thanks for the pics, that's a very sweet gift. Your father is a fine fellow.
Agreed! And thank you Serious!

I am curious about one thing, are there any issues with using current day ammunition in that rifle?

And that would be something really neat, serving some breakfast venison sausage taken with that rifle.

The only expert I've spoken to says "yes" no problem with current ammo in this caliber (.32WS).. but I'm going to quadruple check that ;)

That is cool. What a great heirloom to have to pass down to your children. What caliber is it by the way?

Thanks beep! It's .32 Winchester Special.

trapshooter
01-04-14, 21:47
If only they could talk.
What A story they would have to tell!

Very Nice!

SeriousStudent
01-04-14, 21:52
Ah, glad to hear that about the ammunition. I recently purchased an 85-year-old Winchester shotgun, and had a gunsmith check it out well before I loaded a shell into it.

Be careful, though. I bet you end up hunting down an old Colt Single Action pistol to go with it! :)

RIDE
01-06-14, 10:43
Ah, glad to hear that about the ammunition. I recently purchased an 85-year-old Winchester shotgun, and had a gunsmith check it out well before I loaded a shell into it.

Be careful, though. I bet you end up hunting down an old Colt Single Action pistol to go with it! :)

YOU'RE NOT HELPING!!!! ;)
Congrats on the Vintage Win SG!!!! Pics!!!!

SeriousStudent
01-06-14, 19:09
I don't have pics of the Model 12, I should probably take some. I've never posted any pics here, and honestly don't know how to do it. It may be time to learn.

It's a Winchester Model 12 shotgun in 12 gauge. I had the barrel cut down to 18.5 inches, and the stock cut down to a 12 inch LOP. Plus a nice rubber pad put on, and a X/S tritium Big Dot bead front sight. The Model 12 is the one that breaks down where the barrel attaches to the action. So you end up having two separate pieces about 19 inches long.

These pieces will fit very nicely into an old briefcase, or a day pack, or just about anything else. Very handy for visiting certain states that abhor firearms, and discretion is a must. I can run a steel security cable down the barrel and through the action, and lock it up.

So when it's assembled, it looks a lot like a small, handy 12 gauge. When it's not assembled, it travels unnoticed. Quite handy. :cool:

PriseDeFer
01-07-14, 20:14
Thanks for putting up the good photos Ride. For saddle gun fans and lovers of those things that carry a bit of us in them.