PDA

View Full Version : My Noveske Recon Coated In Flat Dark Earth

John123
05-13-08, 22:10
Here are some Pictures of my Noveske Recon 16in with VLTOR VIS. I had it coated by Ironridgeguns.com, Oliver is local for me and I'm impressed with his work. It is coated in Flat Dark Earth and Black. I ordered the Upper from DSG arms and the Lower from GandR.

Extras
NightForce 1-4x24 FC-2 reticule
Larue SPR 1.5 mount
Larue Light mount
Larue FUG
Surefire 6PD. With a Cree LED drop-in and after market tape switch.
Magpul UBR in Flat Dark Earth
Ergo Ambigrip. I really like it.
Troy Folding Sights
Blue Force Gear Vickers two point padded sling.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj169/harryhard/DSC01058.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj169/harryhard/DSC01059.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj169/harryhard/DSC01064.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj169/harryhard/DSC01065.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj169/harryhard/DSC01061.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj169/harryhard/DSC01063.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj169/harryhard/DSC01066.jpg

Now my only problem is what color scheme is going to work on this Noveske N4 Reece.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj169/harryhard/DSC00993.jpg

John

SuicideHz
05-13-08, 22:29
Nice rifle. I personally like my tans darker and finish not so thick. The one picture of the rollmarks show the thickness of the finish on the underside of the upper around the barrel nut. Personally I think it's a little thick but it should definitely be durable now.

What finish is it?

John123
05-13-08, 22:40
Nice rifle. I personally like my tans darker and finish not so thick. The one picture of the rollmarks show the thickness of the finish on the underside of the upper around the barrel nut. Personally I think it's a little thick but it should definitely be durable now.

What finish is it?

Not sure of the exact name of the product but its a Cerakote I believe. Not really sure what color it is. Ill find out and post it here for you.

John

RogerinTPA
05-14-08, 08:44
Very nice rifle John. The paint job is great! I am very jealous of that UBR you got. Go green on the middy!

th1npower
05-14-08, 20:25
GREAT looking rifle.. :D

Desertf0x9
05-15-08, 11:27
Drool

I need to do that for my noveske recon

John123
05-15-08, 13:24
Very nice rifle John. The paint job is great! I am very jealous of that UBR you got. Go green on the middy!

I thought about green for a while, but Colorado is such a tan state with all the rocks and such.

I was thinking about doing the N4 in a white with black flecks. I figure it snows in Colorado and I need a rifle to match every season. I guess it goes back to watching Red Dawn as a kid and wondering why they didnt paint their rifles white.
I dont know how it would look, but no guts no glory.

John

John123
05-15-08, 13:29

What finish is it?

I just talked to Oliver and found out the specifics. It is a mil spec Flat Dark earth. The coating is a Cerakote and Ceramic mix Iron Armor is what its called.. At least that what I understood out of it.

John

five13
05-19-08, 21:13
Nice work on a nice rifle.

Razorhunter
06-17-08, 19:13
I am wondering if your guy coated the lower BEFORE it was built, or did you send him the complete lower, and he tore it down, and removed all the parts for the IronArmor finish?
Just wondering if he removed the takedown pins, and the bolt catch/mag catch, trigger, etc, before he applied the coating or what?
Looks nice like that. Shows good attention to detail.
Not sure why anyone would want a THINNER coating, as this coating doesn't look to be super thick where it would inhibit you in any way? I would think it would be much more durable this way. (The rollmarks certainly don't look filled in, where the coating is all that thick, IMO)
Anyhow, I gotta ask you about that FUG, cause you sure do have it FORWARD!
Are you using that FUG as a Monopod, or as a true "Forward Universal Grip"/Vertical Grip?
Looks like it's in the "Monopod" position from my view!

Iraqgunz
06-17-08, 19:35
Nice work on the gun. I can't wait to go home and work on my next project(s). Only 90 more days to go until R/R. Hopefully I will be in Arizona by then. Start my Troy MCS project and my next AR/ build and paint.

davemcdonald
06-17-08, 20:02
Why don't you send it to me and I'll post pics of what it looks like dirty. :D

Dave

Grip
06-17-08, 20:14
digital camo for the 2nd one. :D

good job on the FDE rifle.

John123
06-17-08, 21:32
I am wondering if your guy coated the lower BEFORE it was built, or did you send him the complete lower, and he tore it down, and removed all the parts for the IronArmor finish?
Just wondering if he removed the takedown pins, and the bolt catch/mag catch, trigger, etc, before he applied the coating or what?
Looks nice like that. Shows good attention to detail.
Not sure why anyone would want a THINNER coating, as this coating doesn't look to be super thick where it would inhibit you in any way? I would think it would be much more durable this way. (The rollmarks certainly don't look filled in, where the coating is all that thick, IMO)
Anyhow, I gotta ask you about that FUG, cause you sure do have it FORWARD!
Are you using that FUG as a Monopod, or as a true "Forward Universal Grip"/Vertical Grip?
Looks like it's in the "Monopod" position from my view!

Paul,
The lower was stripped when he started.
The takedown pins are tough to get out they are a little tight.
For the FUG, I just like the way it looks with the fat bottom. It also feels good in my hand. I use it as a vertical grip. Ive been playing around with the position of it. Im not sure where I like them at. Ive only been shooting ARs for 6 months. So im still a newb. But im trying to figure it out. I didnt think about using it as a monopod, makes sense.
John

Why don't you send it to me and I'll post pics of what it looks like dirty. :D

Dave

Dave, Only if you send me yours with the short dot:) If I make it to your area Ill let you run it through the mud:)

John

digital camo for the 2nd one. :D

good job on the FDE rifle.

Do you have any Links as to how that would be done. It sounds like a great Idea. I wonder if someone could do Multicam.

John

Saginaw79
06-17-08, 21:42
Looks good, id shoot it down w/ some green Krylon to finish it up. Very nice!

CLHC
06-17-08, 21:45
Awesome rifle you've got here! By the way, is that a Pelican 1700? I've got one inbound, hopefully by tomorrow. . .

John123
06-17-08, 21:59
Awesome rifle you've got here! By the way, is that a Pelican 1700? I've got one inbound, hopefully by tomorrow. . .

It is a pelican 1700, But it just got transfered into a tan Storm case.
I like the Pelican, but the latches can be a bear sometimes. The pelican is rock solid though.

John

CLHC
06-17-08, 22:11
It is a Pelican 1700, but it just got transfered into a tan Storm case.
I like the Pelican, but the latches can be a bear sometimes. The Pelican is rock solid though.

John
Thanks!

I'll have to be cognizant of the Pelican's latches. Storm/Hardigg case huh? Would that be the iM3100?--Nice!

John123
06-17-08, 22:29
Thanks!

I'll have to be cognizant of the Pelican's latches. Storm/Hardigg case huh? Would that be the iM3100?--Nice!

Yes, its is the iM3100. Its nice I really like the case. But Ive only had it for 2 days.

John

ghostdog111
06-17-08, 23:38
thanks this realy helped, exactly what i was looking for, thats if you read my post, but regaurdles love the look and config great rifle!!!

Grip
06-18-08, 01:33
Do you have any Links as to how that would be done. It sounds like a great Idea. I wonder if someone could do Multicam.

John

i do not have any link's, but i do know that people do it on thier paintball guns all the time, there is actually a company who makes the digicamo stencil's.

i have seen alot of paintballers do it and it looks just like the real thing.

i used to be a member on a5og.net, i bet if you do a quick search around there, you will find the answer's you need.

edit: here you go...

http://www.a5og.net/general-paintball-related-discussion/94-howto-paint-your-marker-digital-style.html

Spade
06-18-08, 13:04
good looking rifle. How long did you own it before you painted it? I just picked up my N4 a couple of weeks ago & have considered painting it.

John123
06-18-08, 14:59
good looking rifle. How long did you own it before you painted it? I just picked up my N4 a couple of weeks ago & have considered painting it.

I had the upper for 3 months before I had it coated. I miss seeing the silver of the stainless barrel, but I really like it in Tan.

John

davemcdonald
06-18-08, 15:11
Is that what you are taking to the Larry Vicker's class?

John123
06-18-08, 18:19
Is that what you are taking to the Larry Vicker's class?

Dave,
That is the plan. Plus a Noveske N4 for backup. Its either that or my DPMS A2(First AR) :)
Im trying to decide between using the Nightforce scope or a Aimpoint M4 for the class.
I shoot with both on a regular basis. Also, any advice on anything that is a good idea to bring with me to the class is welcome.

Thanks

John

Spade
06-20-08, 12:59
I had the upper for 3 months before I had it coated. I miss seeing the silver of the stainless barrel, but I really like it in Tan.

John

yeah I can't leave anything alone so i figure it's just a matter of time before mine gets some color

jmtgsx
06-20-08, 14:02
Is that a pre-prod. FDE UBR? If not, who has them?

Outstanding set-up by the way. My custom build only lacks one component being finished. Care to guess???

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-20-08, 15:01
Looks like there is some jiggle in the color if FDE from manufacturer to manufacturer. Is there an Army standard FDE color, or a marine one.

FDE seems to be really popular now.

John123
06-20-08, 15:04
Is that a pre-prod. FDE UBR? If not, who has them?

Outstanding set-up by the way. My custom build only lacks one component being finished. Care to guess???

Yeah it is a pre-pod FDE UBR... im guessing you need the UBR :)

John

jmtgsx
06-21-08, 09:16
DING DING DING DING!!!!

You are correct, Sir.

thebigx
06-24-08, 10:22
that's a nice looking rifle there sir!