PDA

View Full Version : Would 16" ARs exist without the NFA?

leadfarminokie
01-05-14, 14:22
Given that the current 14.5" M4 configuration by the US military, I don't think that 16" barrels would even exist if not for NFA. I could see the DMR role keeping 18" and 20" barrels in existence but if NFA were to go away the 16" AR would be a thing of the past. It exists solely because of arbitrary, bureaucratic nonsense. A lot of intense debate exists between the very small difference between 14.5" and 16" barrel lengths and with that being the case, would there ever be a time with NFA regs could be relaxed to the 14.5" barrel standard that would be ideal for the most popular and common semi-auto rifle today?

I guess what I am really getting at is, is 14.5" the optimal barrel length for the AR-15 when you ignore the nonsense that is the NFA?

ffusaf23
01-05-14, 14:32
I believe the 16" would be a rare sight without the NFA. Unfortunately, I'm not very optimistic of the regs being relaxed at this point without some form of costly societal upheaval.

Agnostic
01-05-14, 14:45
I agree with ffusaf23, I think 16" barrels would be found a lot less if the NFA was never written. However, since it does exist, it is my opinion that 16" barrels make a lot of sense for those unwilling to permanently pin muzzle devices.

I hate to say it, but I never expect to see gun laws relaxed in this country at a federal level, too much neuroticism and paranoia about guns. I just hope the laws will remain unchanged for as long as possible.

Saginaw79
01-05-14, 14:56
Nope, wed have 14.5s, 20" and maybe the 18" SPR that's all. I wish we could just get all those laws gone, and maybe just do the 28" overall thing instead of barrel length

justin_247
01-05-14, 15:07
Of course they would exist. The idea that the 16" would not exist because it is not an "optimal" length is ridiculous. With NFA, there are 7.5" and 8.5" ARs, yet most SMEs would contend are not "optimal," and are on the side of diminishing returns and not even worth the effort. Just as an example, citing the most popular variants that you see around the web, you can find ARs with barrel lengths from 7.5", 8.5", 10.3/5", 11.5", 12.5", 13.7", 14.5/7", 16", 17", 18", 20", and 24". The reason for all of this variation is because people are constantly tinkering and trying to get the "optimal" barrel length for their specific purposes. This would not be any different if there was no NFA.

The same applies to gas systems. If we used your logic, there should only be carbine and rifle length DI gas systems. Yet, we see pistol, carbine, mid-length, two variant of intermediate, and rifle length DI gas systems, and that's not even including all the weird ones out there, like "pig-tail" and "fat boy" gas tubes.

Now, whether or not the 16" would be the *most popular* is another question entirely. The only reason people may buy 14.5" guns absent an NFA would be because the military uses them. But military and special purpose teams also use 10.5", 11.5", and 12.5" systems, as well. I imagine that those would be nearly as popular, so there would still be a ton of different barrel lengths.

The proper question you should be asking is, "Is 14.5" the optimal barrel length for MY purposes?"

Swag
01-05-14, 15:14
Nope, wed have 14.5s, 20" and maybe the 18" SPR that's all. I wish we could just get all those laws gone, and maybe just do the 28" overall thing instead of barrel length

Agreed. Mandatory minimum barrel length is a ridiculous and unnecessary bit of regulation when a minimum overall length is set. It's superfluous at best.

ETA: The only thing that ridiculous bit of reg accomplishes is generate tax $$$ for the BATFE which means it'll be a cold day in hell when it goes away.

ffusaf23
01-05-14, 15:20
Now, whether or not the 16" would be the *most popular* is another question entirely. The only reason people may buy 14.5" guns absent an NFA would be because the military uses them. But military and special purpose teams also use 10.5", 11.5", and 12.5" systems, as well. I imagine that those would be nearly as popular, so there would still be a ton of different barrel lengths.

The proper question you should be asking is, "Is 14.5" the optimal barrel length for MY purposes?"

Good points, that's why I replied 16" carbines would probably be rare, not that they wouldn't exist. But to think into it further, I think you are dead on about how popular SBR's would be without the regs, especially considering what I've learned about their capabilities since joining M4C.

Kokopelli
01-05-14, 15:28
Doesn't matter, the laws aren't going away.. IMO

superstratjunky
01-05-14, 15:31
Of course they would exist.
Maybe, maybe not. But it's a standard today & we've learned a lot from it.

leadfarminokie
01-05-14, 15:39
Ya, there would definitely be an abundance of SBRs if the NFA were to go away but I think the "standard" configuration would be 14.5" carbine gas rather than the 16" carbine gas that is the "standard" currently. Just another example of the absurdity we are subjected to by NFA regs.

discreet
01-05-14, 16:42
Look at it this way, many people dont get 14.5 barrels now, even the ones who don't care about the perm'd ordeal. For me, a 14.5 just is un needed. SBR it with a 10.5-12.5, or run a middy 16, or rifle'd 18-20. 16 is just a right in the middle ordeal. I really don't see any point in dicking with a 14.5 for something that really doesnt make a noticeable length difference.