PDA

View Full Version : Waiting period rant & question

KrampusArms
01-05-14, 16:28
Currently on day 5 of californias 10 day period. The days are crawling by. Usually I have patience, but the stupidity of it irritates me. You slap down a good chunk of coin, and then have to leave with nothing but an empty wallet. "Cool off period". If there HAS GOT TO BE a cool off period, it should ONLY be the FIRST initial firearm purchase an individual makes. Subsequent purchases should be an out the door same day affair as in other free states. No rhyme or reason to it at all.

Can't wait to get out of here, & experience the privilege of NFA stuff. That must be even more fun. From what I've read that can take weeks to months. Looking foward to that so much.

Anyway, on my paperwork it says

NICS STATUS: Can Defer

What exactly does this mean, & why is it there? Is this more CA BS? How does NICS work & in what timeframe do they give a Proceed, Delay etc? Its my understanding in free states its rather speedy, taking minutes.

Can any FFL's here shed some light?

Eurodriver
01-05-14, 16:42
Sorry, I can't help with NICS...but I can put something into perspective for you.

In Hawaii once you found a handgun to purchase, you would pay for it at the dealer and then bring the dealer's receipt to the police station (had to be done in person, and there was only 1 on each island). Then you'd get finger printed, pay $20 and fill out tons of forms while also providing proof of state approved handgun training.

Then, 14 days later you would go to the police station and pick up the approved permit (which was only available for pickup 5 days after the period ended, otherwise you'd have to go through the process again) and bring it to the gun store to pick up your handgun. Then you would have to bring the handgun back to the police station for registration within 48 hours.

California has it easy.

Bubba FAL
01-05-14, 17:01
Back in the day, Michigan's handgun purchase process was similar to Hawaii. Had to apply for permit to buy, then once approved, the permit to buy had to be submitted to the seller. Once the Federal paperwork was completed (4473) then the permit and handgun in question had to be taken to the cop shop for 'inspection' and final registration. From that point forward, one had to keep a copy of the 'green card' with them anytime they were in possession of the applicable firearm. Major PITA, thankfully those days are over.

I still remember the Meridian Twp. Police Chief trying to intimidate me during one such purchase process because the two speeding tickets on my record showed a 'disrespect for the law'. He backed off when I reminded him that this was my third handgun and the speeding tickets didn't seem to bother him when I bought the others. He could have saved himself some embarrassment if he had actually checked his files and seen that it was not my first purchase.

And yes, that 15 day waiting period in CA sux. I still have a copy of my Orange County handgun purchaser card somewhere. Had to take a very basic test and pay a fee for the privilege of that one. IMO, Just another way to scam money out of the citizens.

Iraqgunz
01-05-14, 17:01
Someone help me out. I don't think California uses NICS. The California DOJ runs the check on their end through NICS, but they also have their own databases. From what you have stated and assuming that is what you have been told your purchase has been delayed.

gunrunner505
01-05-14, 17:53
Isn't their a challenge to a waiting period making it's way to court in California? I heard something about that in the last couple weeks. I'll find it and post.

ETA: Here we go.
http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/2013/12/federal-judge-says-california-attorney-general-kamala-harris-wrong-gun-control-laws/

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

KrampusArms
01-05-14, 23:20
Someone help me out. I don't think California uses NICS. The California DOJ runs the check on their end through NICS, but they also have their own databases. From what you have stated and assuming that is what you have been told your purchase has been delayed.

I've been searching the internet in regards to this "Can Defer"

Not finding any answers.

Anyone out there able to answer this?

Also, to the posters mentioning Hawaii.... Wow.

a1fabweld
01-06-14, 10:49
OP, you should call the DOJ personally and find out WTF. Make use of your tax dollars & actually speak to someone on the phone.

And yes, there is a challenge going on in CA thanks to the Calguns Foundation challenging the DOJ and their BS waiting period. I posted about it a few weeks ago. I believe they are suing Kamala Harris, the head of the DOJ personally, and the DOJ as well. It is a complete waste of time waiting 10 days for another gun purchase when you already own guns & they know it.

Big A
01-06-14, 12:41
The posts in this thread make me glad I live in Florida.

All the above shit is just God Damn ridiculous...:mad:

Iraqgunz
01-06-14, 12:46
It means the transaction has been delayed.

I've been searching the internet in regards to this "Can Defer"

Not finding any answers.

Anyone out there able to answer this?

Also, to the posters mentioning Hawaii.... Wow.

HES
01-07-14, 00:24
The posts in this thread make me glad I live in Florida.

All the above shit is just God Damn ridiculous...:mad:
No joke. I hear horror stories like this and I give my thanks and then make sure I hammer my reps and neighbors to do what I can to keep things this way