PDA

View Full Version : setting up a rifle for classes?

mysak
01-05-14, 17:03
Optics I am going for a T-1 on either a LaRue or Bobro mount?
Sling either a magpul MS1 or Vickers sling padded or none?
Trigger is a CMC 3.5 flat face
butt stock I already have a Magpul ACS but I want a B5 Bravo is it worth the money to swap?

May be in the wrong section but I am looking into new ears and was wondering what model of MSAs I should go with and any other knowledge that can be passed on gear wise would be appreciated!

Thanks

TacticalMark
01-05-14, 19:31
I think most the options you listed come down to personal preference. What works well for myself or others might not work for you. My advice would be to try out different slings or stocks if you can. I would focus on making sure you have field repair parts or "extra" parts or even a spare rifle if this is going to be your first class/course and quality mags and ammo. But to answer your questions I like Bobro mounts and B5 stocks.

ra2bach
01-05-14, 22:14
one of the benefits of a class is to wring out your gear, see what you like or don't. run what you brung and if it fails you or otherwise dissatisfied with it, change. the idea of poring over accessories for training is not one I am familiar with...

Vendetta
01-05-14, 22:24
one of the benefits of a class is to wring out your gear, see what you like or don't. run what you brung and if it fails you or otherwise dissatisfied with it, change. the idea of poring over accessories for training is not one I am familiar with...

This is the point of training, find what works. Don't invest in new gear just because, the. You show up not knowing or not comfortable with what you have. You can always tell the guy that loads up all his kit on his vest and isn't familiar/comfortable with it. Thought the duration of the class things may get removed and dropped because they weren't needed, didn't work there, or whatever the case may be.

LaRue mounts have always been solid. As far as slings go, I have always gone back to a Vickers sling, with the VTAC being next, I would highly suggest you getting a sling. I currently use a LMT SOPMOD stock I've had for years. I tried the Magpul ones and like the cheek weld the SOPMOD offers, but I made that decision over the course of a lot of rounds and training with both as to what suited me.

Hmac
01-05-14, 22:43
3 days of a lot of standing around with your rifle hanging. The Magpul sling gets very uncomfortable. Go with a padded sling, preferably one that easily adjustable like the VTAC or VCAS.

I've used a variety of electronic ear pro. My MSA Supreme ProX with gel seals have been the most comfortable and most reliable.

I'm sure the T-1 will be fine. I don't see much advantage to it over any other quality RDS. I use PRO, T-1, or EXPS pretty much interchangeably.

The thing that has made the biggest equipment difference to me has been using an 11.5 inch SBR with light tubular forearm (Noveske NSR). VCAS or VTAC sling is a close second. Stocks haven't mattered.

Pay close attention to your first and second line gear. It's not all about the rifle. IMHO, simpler is better to start out.

Bluedreaux
01-05-14, 23:40
Be careful not to get things backwards. Don't build a rifle just for training. Use training to get better with a rifle you built for whatever else (defense / offense / competition / etc.).

F-Trooper05
01-06-14, 02:17
I would shit can the CMC trigger. Or at the very least throw a USGI trigger in your range bag for when the CMC goes tits up on TD1.

mysak
01-06-14, 13:17
I need new ears mine are 8 years old and falling apart. So I am not buying a bunch of stuff just to buy but I have mentality of buy once cry once, if I'm spending money on training I would rather go with options instead of sitting there with gear I don't like. This is not my first time training, first time training outside of the military.
CMC triggers are no good?

mysak
01-06-14, 13:23
also on the mount lower 1/3 or absolute co witness what are your takes?

Hmac
01-06-14, 15:49
Here is the M4Carbine google on CMC triggers https://www.m4carbine.net/google.php?cx=010536845846440650985%3Aridd3_u3s3i&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=cmc+trigger&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&siteurl=www.m4carbine.net%2Fforum.php&ref=&ss=1728j321570j11

My personal preference is lower third co-witness, if for no other reason that it does a better job of keeping an FSB from intruding in the sight picture. If you're using a flip up front sight then maybe it doesn't matter, but I try to keep things consistent and a couple of my rifles have an FSB.

G_M
01-06-14, 17:10
Prcotor Sling (http://www.wayofthegun.us/store/) - $29.00 (Versatile, minimalist and is very compact when you stow it. Bonus, if you get another sling you like this one can be used on any long gun)

Huskey Mark II EWS Sling (http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/AA_huskey_mk2ews) - $59.95 (More sling than a civilian would probably need but its pretty awesome)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1y5x7E7qK8

mysak
01-06-14, 18:40
makes sense thanks for the heads up!
So I am thinking about building a second upper for back up, I have a stripped upper I'm in between a Noveske n4 16" OR get a complete BCM 16" LW upper and knock off the FSB and put a NSR rail on it?