PDA

View Full Version : Is this legal?

moonshot
01-06-14, 14:16
Read this on Drudge today ...

“I know the roads look clear, the sun’s out and it all looks nice,” Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard said Monday. “But it’s still minus 40 in wind chill — deadly temperatures. So we want to be very, very careful.”

Ballard issued a travel ban for the city, making it illegal for anyone to drive except for emergencies or to seek shelter, until noon Monday. But he wants schools and businesses to remain closed another day until the worst of the severe cold passes.

Tried to perform a little on-line reaearch, but no luck. Is this legal? Can a city Mayor (or any elected official) make it a crime to drive on the roads, even in bad weather? For that matter, can the Mayor force private businesses to close down (although the way the article was worded, this was more like a request).

Not sure if the artical as written is accurate. Staying off the roads may have been a request as well, but I remember the hunt for the Boston marathon bomber and the (illegal, in my opinion) orders issues to the general population.

_Stormin_
01-06-14, 15:00
Meh... I grew up in North Dakota where it hit forty below BEFORE the wind chill. School was canceled, but we went about our lives. Odds are that the warning was issued, but that there wouldn't be any teeth behind it. One of those things where the THREAT of it being illegal to go about town would keep most people at home.

Swag
01-06-14, 15:17
It can't be a declaration of Marshal Law so would it be considered a declared State of Emergency? Or would that be reserved for the Federal Gov?

rushca01
01-06-14, 15:25
I too wonder about th legality.

My city has declared a state of emergency with travel bans (16" of snow between two combined snow periods and -30 wind chills etc..). Word on the street is police are out ticketing drivers who have no business on the roads. It's funny because some folks don't think the rules apply to them. Just stay in and let the road crews clear the streets. It makes sense to ask people stay off the street so they can plow but to issue tickets....

_Stormin_
01-06-14, 15:34
I'm curious as to what those citations are for. You can't make up a law on the spot when writing the citation, so they have to be writing something in existing code...

Maybe too fast for conditions.

Sent using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

moonshot
01-06-14, 15:43
What if you're out walking around? Walking your dog? Walking to the corner store for supplies? If you're dressed for it than no big deal.

Is this illegal now in Indy as well?

rushca01
01-06-14, 15:46
What if you're out walking around? Walking your dog? Walking to the corner store for supplies? If you're dressed for it than no big deal.

Is this illegal now in Indy as well?

I believe the restriction is for road travel only with a car.