PDA

View Full Version : Here comes Sig with a new, striker fired handgun

ggammell
01-06-14, 15:41
Not much info out yet it seems. We will see it at SHOT in a few days I guess.

https://www.tactical-officer.com/articles/sigs-new-modular-pistol-the-p320/#.UsshOni9K0c

steyrman13
01-06-14, 15:46
It looks like it's designed after the cheesy p250. I was excited for a sec.

brickboy240
01-06-14, 15:49
Isn't HK supposed to bring out a striker fired P30?

THAT will be the striker fired pistol to wait for.

-brickboy240

ggammell
01-06-14, 16:03

-brickboy240

Oh indeed indeed.

_Stormin_
01-06-14, 16:20
It looks like it's designed after the cheesy p250. I was excited for a sec.

The picture they had up was of a Sig p250, and not the new 320...

Sent using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

ggammell
01-06-14, 16:24

Sounds line the guts might be the same. There aren't a pics of the new gun yet so it's probably a reference to the modular firing mechanism.

steyrman13
01-06-14, 16:27

I didn't see any pics. I just read the article description of it. It uses a "Guts" serialized frame and can be put into different size slides and frames with grip size options too.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-06-14, 16:36
I hope they do well. They have the $$, and a lot of people still respect the name. Sig needs to knock this out of the park.

Saginaw79
01-06-14, 17:22
not a fan of the 250 series, just un sig like IMO

Dos Cylindros
01-06-14, 18:57
I'm interested to see what they come out with. I'm not a huge fan of the newer Sig offerings and the reports of their decline in quality have me very skeptical. I hope my suspicions are proven wrong.

FAB45
01-06-14, 19:02
Love them or hate them, I just love this time of year when new products come out. It's a nice competitive market. I for one actually have had good luck with Sig so I am interested to see what the offer us.

Krull
01-06-14, 19:16
It sounds to me like they're making the P250 into a striker fired gun,which makes sense as it being DAO should be easy peasy to switch over.

ralph
01-06-14, 19:51

-brickboy240

"Supposed to" being the key words there...I'll believe it when they're on dealers shelves.. for sale..

ggammell
01-10-14, 09:02
Here's a link to some pics. They took the ugly P250 frame and stuck a new slide on it. You local sig. Why change the game when you can just modify something you've already got. Color me not interested.

http://blog.predatorbdu.com/2014/01/sig-sauer-p320-duty-pistol-promo-reel.html?m=1

Big Bronze Rim
01-10-14, 09:42
I have never been impressed with the Sig P250 (as well as many other people and departments), and being that this is loosely based on that, I don't see myself ever being remotely interested in one of these.

Talon167
01-10-14, 10:13

-brickboy240

I think those were just rumors, and it won’t happen.

I’ve heard that HK will introduce a P30SK at SHOT and find that much more likely.

gtmtnbiker98
01-10-14, 13:51
I think those were just rumors, and it won’t happen.

I’ve heard that HK will introduce a P30SK at SHOT and find that much more likely.That would be a waste, with the P2000SK already on the market.

LowSpeedHighDrag
01-10-14, 14:52
Here's a link to some pics. They took the ugly P250 frame and stuck a new slide on it. You local sig. Why change the game when you can just modify something you've already got. Color me not interested.

http://blog.predatorbdu.com/2014/01/sig-sauer-p320-duty-pistol-promo-reel.html?m=1

It may have some long-ass DAO trigger, or something equally jacked-up like a 3/4" trigger reset and 12# pull.

rathos
01-10-14, 21:42
It may have some long-ass DAO trigger, or something equally jacked-up like a 3/4" trigger reset and 12# pull.

trigger pull is going to be between 5.5 and 6.5 pounds. Not sure how long it will be, but seemed fairly short in the videos. It does look like a mutilated 250 though.

Talon167
01-11-14, 11:43
That would be a waste, with the P2000SK already on the market.

So the release of the P30 was a waste with the P2000 already on the market?

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-11-14, 13:22
Naw. The P2000 was a 13 shot mid-size. The P30 is full-sized. A P30 SK would be what, A P2000 SK with a different grip? Unless they are jumping back on the single stack wagon. That would be neat.

Unkle Kurt
01-11-14, 13:37
While not a fan of the P250 in general, the one thing I do like is how it feels in the hand. The compact is the only gun I know on par with the midsize G19/23 that is virtually identical in size and capacity. If Sig can make this one reliable (remember the ATF banning the P250?) and up their QC they may be able to bring back some faith in their new products lost over previous years. I admit my recent purchase of a USP was heavily influenced by all the buzz about their QC and having a friend who had to send his 229 Scorpion back several times.

n4p226r
01-15-14, 11:41
While not a fan of the P250 in general, the one thing I do like is how it feels in the hand. The compact is the only gun I know on par with the midsize G19/23 that is virtually identical in size and capacity. If Sig can make this one reliable (remember the ATF banning the P250?) and up their QC they may be able to bring back some faith in their new products lost over previous years. I admit my recent purchase of a USP was heavily influenced by all the buzz about their QC and having a friend who had to send his 229 Scorpion back several times.

i often wonder how if quality issues are really as bad as everyone suggests. i'd say design changes (long extractor) when the older sigs really had no issues is more of a problem. even glock had some issues with the gen4. its like nobody has ever heard the saying "if it aint broke, dont fix it". they keep messing with it.

for what its worth i had a p226 in 9mm that had no malfunctions since i've had it (about 1500 rds) and a p229 that had tons of malfunctions as a 22lr but none with the 357 sig upper (approx 400-500rds)

im definitely interested in trying out this new sig.

graffex
01-15-14, 16:13
i often wonder how if quality issues are really as bad as everyone suggests. i'd say design changes (long extractor) when the older sigs really had no issues is more of a problem. even glock had some issues with the gen4. its like nobody has ever heard the saying "if it aint broke, dont fix it". they keep messing with it.

for what its worth i had a p226 in 9mm that had no malfunctions since i've had it (about 1500 rds) and a p229 that had tons of malfunctions as a 22lr but none with the 357 sig upper (approx 400-500rds)

im definitely interested in trying out this new sig.

You need a lot more rounds down range than that to determine if there are no problems IMO. 500 rounds is like the absolute minimum I'd take on a given range trip.

TurretGunner
01-15-14, 17:10
You need a lot more rounds down range than that to determine if there are no problems IMO. 500 rounds is like the absolute minimum I'd take on a given range trip.

Exactly. 500-100 rounds to prove a new pistol on a platform that is ALREADY proven and has been tested in numbers.

NCPatrolAR
01-15-14, 18:34
Color me interested due to its compatibility with the 250

n4p226r
01-15-14, 20:31
Exactly. 500-100 rounds to prove a new pistol on a platform that is ALREADY proven and has been tested in numbers.

I was referencing a p226. I have over 1200 trouble free rounds so far. Not exactly a test bed but I know more sig owners without problems than with.

BOOSTjunkie
01-16-14, 15:33
for a striker fired gun this thing has way too high a grip to bore height.

Omega Man
01-19-14, 03:50
for a striker fired gun this thing has way too high a grip to bore height.

Agree. Why would i get this over a Glock? Its heavier, has a high bore axis and is directly based on a failed platform.

plouffedaddy
01-19-14, 08:40
Here's a good look at if for folks looking for more info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8lexDaq9ck

rjacobs
01-19-14, 09:58
This thing looked like a cobbled together POS IMO. IT looked like a frame and slide that was designed for a hammer and it just had a block off plate on the frame and slide in place of the hammer mechanism. We were looking at them and a Sig rep walked up and said "can I answer any questions" and my buddy asked if it was a pre-production model and the rep said no its a production gun, we dont bring pre-production products, etc... My buddy says "looks like a piece of shit" and walked away and the rep said what do you think and I said "well I tend to agree. Looks like you took something you already had and slapped a cover over it, why would you spend millions of dollars designing something new and then slap a plastic cover over the back where the hammer is on all the other guns. Just doesnt look well thought out which IMO means the rest of the gun may or may not be that well thought out. I think ill pass." And we walked away.

Now the Sig MPX, thats another story, but I wont thread drift.

graffex
01-19-14, 10:39
This thing looked like a cobbled together POS IMO. IT looked like a frame and slide that was designed for a hammer and it just had a block off plate on the frame and slide in place of the hammer mechanism. We were looking at them and a Sig rep walked up and said "can I answer any questions" and my buddy asked if it was a pre-production model and the rep said no its a production gun, we dont bring pre-production products, etc... My buddy says "looks like a piece of shit" and walked away and the rep said what do you think and I said "well I tend to agree. Looks like you took something you already had and slapped a cover over it, why would you spend millions of dollars designing something new and then slap a plastic cover over the back where the hammer is on all the other guns. Just doesnt look well thought out which IMO means the rest of the gun may or may not be that well thought out. I think ill pass." And we walked away.

That's the kind of crap I've come to expect from sig unfortunately.

plouffedaddy
01-19-14, 11:14

That was my initial thought as well.

JW5219
01-19-14, 12:24
Definitely not something that I'd be interested in, and certainly not a " game changer" as he stated in the video. As rjacobs stated above, it does look like it was cobbled together.

ski
01-19-14, 15:29
This thing really is just a striker fired P250 with a slightly modified slide profile, isn't it? It has the same "modular" theme. The rear of the slide looks exactly like a 250 slide with a "cover" where the hammer is. The frame is the exact same as a 250. It takes 250 mags. With the 250 getting such a horrible response from the FAMS and ATF, I wonder how well this will really do in LE sales? I guess that's why they did not call it the P250S or something. It could be a fantastic gun, but the recent past may doom it.

Ok HK, you are up next on America's Got Strikers...

m1a_scoutguy
01-19-14, 17:17

-brickboy240

"Supposed to" being the key words there...I'll believe it when they're on dealers shelves.. for sale..

SIG could be interesting,,they should do well if it all comes together for them. No doubt the HK would be a great gun if its made,,but just be ready to spend a extra $250 bucks,,,,"just because",,,LOL !! I'll sit back and watch for a long time on this one !

FChen17213
01-19-14, 19:51
I feel like this gun is the striker fired pistol no one was waiting for or expecting. Up until now, I'd never heard anyone talking about this or even wanting a striker fired pistol from Sig. To top that off, they took a design that not many people liked (P250) and essentially just modified it to be striker fired. Even if the striker firing mechanism, trigger, reset etc are excellent, I feel that this pistol will still have to overcome the mediocre reputation of the P250 just to have a chance of being a real success.

If Sig started back from scratch and designed a striker fired pistol, I think it would generate a decent amount of buzz and interest. This P320 really just looks like a P250 that they covered the hammer and put a striker fire system in, just as others have mentioned. All the "advantages" of not being able to be disassembled with a magazine in or not having to pull the trigger for disassembly are just not things shooters care about. Seriously, how many people bought an M&P over a Glock just because you don't have to pull the trigger during disassembly??

For H&K, it'd be different for a striker fired P30. The P30 has been successful and very well respected as a great pistol with a stellar reputation. If HK made a striker fired pistol that was essentially a P30 with a striker cover plate where the hammer spur was, I don't think people would be as turned off. I guess we will find out in the future when HK does debut their new pistol. Speaking of which, let's look at the FNX and FNS. I would say that there's somewhat of a copy of FNX but just with striker plate where hammer used to be. I think most people are alright with the FNS although it hasn't really caught on either. Nonetheless, people are intrigued and usually see the FNS as a good quality pistol despite a few initial issues. However, my point is that because both the FNX and P30 were good guns, the companies could Modify the existing platforms and expect reasonable success. Sig can't do that with the P250.

High Altitude
01-20-14, 00:00
I can't get over the frame and slide inserts that hide where the hammer goes.

polydeuces
04-04-14, 17:11
Shipping /available today.
Anyone got one yet?

Love to hear some feedback based on actual performance.

ggammell
04-04-14, 22:10
Some lady came in the the LGS about an hour after it opened today asking about it. They had no idea what the hell she was talking about.

Tzintzuntzan
04-04-14, 22:29
Shipping /available today.
Anyone got one yet?

Love to hear some feedback based on actual performance.

If you want info this is the most I have seen so far.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?150180-Sig-320-Shipping

SpecWired
04-04-14, 23:06
This is SIG correcting the P250, and making what should have been released Back in 2007.

I think it's competitive in theory. The pricing will probably be aggressive even with night sights.

Trigger pull and trigger reset will have to be on point for me to consider it though. That and the basics of reliability, accuracy and durability which my 3rd Gen G19 has in spades.

Maintaining high compatibility with the P250 is a positive since there is already plenty of parts and mags in circulation.

polydeuces
04-09-14, 18:12
This may be one of the very few things Sig is doing right - for a change. Instead of coming up with one more questionable variation on the 22x-line, they finally joined the new reality.
Welcome to the second decade of the 21st century, Sig .......

Then somewhat upping the ante; considering the basic design of most SF pistols, making it 'modular' is not such a far out step - all one has to do is make the dis-assembly of the inner a bit more user friendly than with your standard M&P, Glock etc. It could almost be considered the next evolution. None of which should have any negative effect on what matters, the ONLY thing that would at this point be a deal-breaker, the obvious; reliability and accuracy.
Which is where every make and model has had issues in the beginning to be resolved. Perhaps therefore best to hold our judgement in reserve until enough rounds have been pushed through.
I just hope it's not another 'gimmick' like feature masking mediocre performance, which would be a sin.

And while i understand it seems a bit lazy, not entirely sure how a plastic insert in the rear of the frame or slide should mean 'bad' design. Way I see it, if the pistol works reliable and accurate, who cares?

FWIW - both my P220 and P226 were by far the most reliable and accurate pistols I have ever owned. Yes - they're the 'older' ones, but nevertheless.
Really can't say the same for (my) M&P9 where accuracy is concerned, most of which has been extensively discussed.

So this could be where Sig is finding its way back -the accuracy/reliability of my 220 or 226 on a SF platform (one can hope, right?).
Deep down inside I can't help but wonder if they realize how little they can afford to waste whatever little credibility they have left.
We'll see........

Bulldog7972
04-10-14, 17:26
There is a review on Sig Forum. The poster bought one and gave it high marks. Said it has the best trigger of any striker fired pistol on the market today.

polydeuces
04-10-14, 17:47
What still seems to be missing from the narrative is someone actually shooting it - giving it a workout, get it all hot and dirty, see how it performs. Showing groups at 25/50 yds.
Lots of talk about looks and all that, but no rubber on the road, yet.

Tzintzuntzan
04-10-14, 20:12
What still seems to be missing from the narrative is someone actually shooting it - giving it a workout, get it all hot and dirty, see how it performs. Showing groups at 25/50 yds.
Lots of talk about looks and all that, but no rubber on the road, yet.

This link has a guy who claims to have run 400 rounds through a P320, and in that meager volume of fire the gun has already started releasing live rounds from the mag body and stove piping them.

In the interest of saving people's time I've posted his comments below.

I shot one for 400 rounds last Saturday at SSA. It has the nicest trigger I have ever felt in a striker fired gun. Hands down. Had two stove pipes out of the 400 rounds, always on the last round in the magazine, and always a live round. So, not perfect, but a great trigger.

I am a 1911 guy, but I have carried and shot Glock 22's for years. I have owned and shot M&P's, Glocks in every caliber and an XD. The 320 had the nicest trigger of a striker fired gun I have ever shot. Hands down.

I am not sure about the stove pipe issue. It was in the middle of a course of fire so I slapped it off, cleared it and moved on. I did note that they were live rounds, facing straight up, and always the last round in the mag.

I shot the 9mm full size last week, and a mid size in 40 ( for only 10 rounds, our local LE sales guy had one, just didn't have time to really shoot it). Both had excellent triggers.

It was POA-POI for me all the way out to 25 yards.

ptmccain
04-11-14, 04:51
I like SIGs, but, for me, the placement of the slide stop is a deal-breaker. I simply can not get used to adjusting my grip for it. If all I shot were SIGs, I suppose this would not even be an issue.

KCBRUIN
04-12-14, 23:24
So you can change frames for grip size, but are they going to release more compact grips that work with the full frame slide? Being able to swap the full size, Glock 17 sized, slide on to a Glock 19 sized frame for ccw would be pretty cool. It would negate the need/desire to do the custom frame chops.

3is
04-13-14, 00:10
Mushy springy trigger and no way to safely holster from stray drawstrings...come on even glock has that safe trigger system thingy...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Tzintzuntzan
04-13-14, 00:26
Mushy springy trigger and no way to safely holster from stray drawstrings...come on even glock has that safe trigger system thingy...

This thing just keeps sounding more and more like a pile of trash. I'd rather buy P226 or P229, at least those have been known to work nowadays.

3is
04-13-14, 00:31
This thing just keeps sounding more and more like a pile of trash. I'd rather buy P226 or P229, at least those have been known to work nowadays.

If you can shoot a p226 or p229 well, I don't know why people would keep looking. I can't shoot DA/SA consistently as I like so it's not for me but the p226 in SA doesn't get much better than that in a hi cap 9mm for me.

Tzintzuntzan
04-13-14, 00:35
If you can shoot a p226 or p229 well, I don't know why people would keep looking. I can't shoot DA/SA consistently as I like so it's not for me but the p226 in SA doesn't get much better than that in a hi cap 9mm for me.

You have to learn to handle the transition, and that takes some time.

Symmetry
04-13-14, 09:14
This thing just keeps sounding more and more like a pile of trash.

What else would you expect from modern day Sig? I always try to keep an open mind when they release a new design, but as predicted from their history of the last decade the firearm turns into a proverbial POS. Even with low round counts. I strongly suggest staying away from them until the company changes out CEOs and the direction of their product line. There are plenty of pre 2005 guns out there that are still running strong.

Sensei
04-13-14, 10:02

Have you shot one yet? Most of the early reports are that the trigger is at least above average for a striker pistol.

What else would you expect from modern day Sig? I always try to keep an open mind when they release a new design, but as predicted from their history of the last decade the firearm turns into a proverbial POS. Even with low round counts. I strongly suggest staying away from them until the company changes out CEOs and the direction of their product line. There are plenty of pre 2005 guns out there that are still running strong.

I'm going to reserve judgement until more collective rounds have been fired. Roy at Grey Guns bought one and will put it through its paces here:

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/8010002053/p/5

If anybody knows their way around Sigs, it's that shop.

3is
04-13-14, 11:30
Have you shot one yet? Most of the early reports are that the trigger is at least above average for a striker pistol.

I'm going to reserve judgement until more collective rounds have been fired. Roy at Grey Guns bought one and will put it through its paces here:

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/8010002053/p/5

If anybody knows their way around Sigs, it's that shop.

Just dry fired one at the store. I appreciate smooth long da triggers and crisp short ones like in my s&w revolvers. With a little polish my glock triggers have a nice linear pull and clean break. No interest in a big bulky polymer sig that has no mechanical safety except a drop safety and as it sits wonky trigger.

Sensei
04-17-14, 20:26
I got to handle one today at a LGS. First, it is a big pistol; think P226, 92FS, or P30L in terms of overall profile. The trigger was average in terms of striker pistols. In fact, it felt almost identical to a FNS9 that was sitting in the case in terms of weight, grit, break, and reset. Build and construction were identical to the P250. I did notice the plate on the rear of the slide that seems more prominent than necessary.

The asking price was $525 which did not strike me as outrageous for a LGS. However, I have no need for another striker platform unless it brings something more to the table in terms of accuracy, reliability, and durability.

FChen17213
05-07-14, 15:16
I got to shoot one of these the other day. One of the guys at IDPA had just bought one in 9mm. It is a pretty large pistol with a long barrel. I didn't find anything extraordinary or earth-shattering about it. The trigger was decent....a little heavier than a Glock's. The recoil was subjectively more than both a Glock's and M&P's due to the higher axis of the boreline. I would probably put this gun with a Springfield XD. It's a pretty decent gun, but nothing really to get exceited about.

Sensei
05-08-14, 21:37
I picked one up 2 days ago and it is indeed a big pistol. However, I'd say that the platform has a lot more potential than the XD when it comes to being a legit alternative to Glock or the M&P. The way I see it, there are now 3 striker platforms that are vying for a piece of the Glock / S&W pie: Walther PPQ, FNS, and the P320. We'll see if HK expands that list. Given the Sig LE legacy and pistol modularity, I think that the P320 is well positioned to compete.

The big question is, did Sig really fix the bugs that plagued the P250 platform which served as a template for the P320. I've yet to hear of any reliability issues, BTF problems, or accuracy concerns on Sig Forum where a number of people have gotten past the 500 round mark. This is a good start considering the pistol has been on shelves for 3 weeks.

brickboy240
05-09-14, 16:50
I look at my 1991 made W. German P228 and my Swiss made P225 and then this and wonder....how did they go from these....to this?

Sad..really.

I'll pass and keep shooting the G19 until the striker fired P-30 shows up.

-brickboy240

dookie1481
05-26-14, 01:14
I shot one the other day. It had a pretty decent trigger, though a LITTLE mushy. Pretty accurate and it was one of the softest shooting poly guns I've ever handled. I would probably try one out for a while if they weren't $600 or so.

polydeuces
06-16-14, 16:54
Here's a range=report worth reading.

http://grayguns.com/grayguns-range-report-sig-sauer-p320/http://grayguns.com/grayguns-range-report-sig-sauer-p320/

Have yet to see one here locally, big mistake I think having such a limited roll-out it seems - now they're going to be beat up by HK releasing theirs. Timing is everything, and kinda off w Sig lately.....

WillBrink
06-16-14, 18:08
Here's a range=report worth reading.

http://grayguns.com/grayguns-range-report-sig-sauer-p320/http://grayguns.com/grayguns-range-report-sig-sauer-p320/

Have yet to see one here locally, big mistake I think having such a limited roll-out it seems - now they're going to be beat up by HK releasing theirs. Timing is everything, and kinda off w Sig lately.....

Could be the most glowing report possible, and for me, zero interest. Sig is a long way from getting my trust in the brand as a whole. Way too many good choices at this point to even consider it, and I'll let those who have to have latest greatest be the beta testers for this first gen gun.

signal4l
06-16-14, 20:40
Could be the most glowing report possible, and for me, zero interest. Sig is a long way from getting my trust in the brand as a whole. Way too many good choices at this point to even consider it, and I'll let those who have to have latest greatest be the beta testers for this first gen gun.

Well said. My experience with my PD's batch of recently purchased P226 and 220 pistols has been far from satisfactory. I would rather spend my $ on Glocks, PPQs than take a chance on something built by the company that brought us the P250

yellowfin
06-17-14, 09:20
This reeks of bean counters rather than gun guys making the decisions. When I want to buy something from Sig, it isn't a striker/poly gun, I want to buy what I know Sig for making for half a century. Why try to be something they're not? Do they go to McDonald's and expect quality sushi, or a car dealership to buy a pool table?

G34Shooter
06-17-14, 18:53
Dry firing one and looking it over yesterday, I'll just say I'm not impressed...

brickboy240
06-18-14, 13:32
Hard to get excited about a P-250 re-tread when the HK striker pistol is coming out now.

I will always keep my older P-Series SIGs made in W. Germany and Switzerland but the newer SIGS just don't do it for me.

-brickboy240

Sensei
06-18-14, 22:05
I picked-up one a few weeks ago and finally got around to shooting it this past weekend. First, its seems big when you handle it, but has a similar profile to the G17 on an overlay comparison. Ergos are not as good as a P30 or PPQ but they are better than a Glock. Trigger is also better than Glock, but not as good as a PPQ. Some people have noted sharper recoil, but I think that it is similar to every other polymer 9mm pistol that I own. I did notice that my groups were leaning right which could be my trigger pull or the sights.

I've only got 100 rounds down the pipe, so jury is still out on reliability and durability. So far, I don't see anything so impressive as to dedicate myself to the platform.