PDA

View Full Version : Dirtbike gurus, unite and aid me in my quest!

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-06-14, 23:50
I spent too much money on guns last year and subsequently lost sight of any other hobby. Ive decided that this year will be the year I get back on a bike. I last rode in 2004, I was a novice rider riding a 2003 XR200. That would put my current skill level at "rusty novice" to beginner. I am 6 foot 230lbs, we'll say 250lbs in full riding gear. My plans are to do about 50/50 trail and track. I have a big MX track near where I live, plus all of the OHV trails that Colorado has to offer. I have no plans to ride it on the street. My budget is up to $10k, however I'd much rather pay in the ballpark of $4-8k. I want a 4 Stroke bike with a headlight.

With the info out of the way, here are my questions:

1. With my weight, would a 250CC bike work, or should I really be on a 450?
2. Is the 450 going to be too much to handle for a beginner?
3. Is there any better option than the CRF 250/450X series that is also affordable? (I know KTM is nice, but they are very expensive).
4. Any recommendations on bikes that would fit my criteria?

Thanks gents.

cinco
01-07-14, 09:10
I actually would suggest a dual sport (street legal) 250. Don't lose much in capability with the right bike - plus you gain lights. I'm about your size and sold my heavily modified Kawasaki KLR650 - just too big for what I wanted to do. Once I get back in I'll either be getting:

1. Yamaha WR250R
2. Kawasaki KLX250S (with a big bore kit)

The Yamaha has fuel injection and is considered to be an awesome bike for bigger guys (can still run 70+) and no problems with altitude changes (no need to re-jet a carb) since it is FI.

Tons of options for picking up a nice used bike that is modded and well cared for. See the ADVRider website below - they have a great for sale section with nice bikes.

Some resources for you:

http://www.yamahawr250r.com/
http://rickramsey.net/WR250Rmods.htm
http://www.bigdogadventures.com/WR250R.htm

Great website with tons of stuff of interest and EXCELLENT forum:
http://advrider.com/

At least in my opinion, I don't want to lose the ability to travel between trails on the street legally. Especially for you there in CO it might be a perfect option.

BTW - have you ever heard of the Trans America Trail? This trail runs right by my house and someday my goal is to ride it - thus, my desire for a lighter bike that can still hack the difficulty.

http://www.transamtrail.com/

Airhasz
01-07-14, 09:12
At your weight I wouldn't go any smaller than the 450ci.

alvincullumyork
01-07-14, 09:40
10k would get you into a very nice KTM. 4-8k could get you into a very nice used KTM. My old boss who has a similar build as you do went from a CRF 450 to a KTM 300XC. It's a two smoke and no headlight but everyone I have talked to who rides ones says that money can buy happiness.

I ride a XR650L daily so I'm not to up to speed with the real dirt bikes but the Thumper section of advrider.com is a great place to get some learnin.

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

brickboy240
01-07-14, 10:02
That Kawasaki dual sport is really sweet.

I am a Honda guy and that might be my next bike when I decide to ditch my old XL125S.

-brickboy240

JBecker 72
01-07-14, 10:10
I think a 250cc would be fine for you, the Yamaha WR250F or Honda CRF250X would be my recommendation for a good bike with a head light. Either bike is gonna require you to address the suspension immediately however given your weight.

1. Yamaha WR250R
2. Kawasaki KLX250S (with a big bore kit)

He said dirt bike not tanks on wheels disguised as dirt bikes.

If you want a dirt bike with a plate, buy a KTM. The KTM 350 EXC-F is a great dual sport, but it's right at $10k.

At your weight I wouldn't go any smaller than the 450ci.

No, he will be fine on a good 250. 35 horsepower in a 250 pound machine is perfectly acceptable for a guy his size. All a 450 is gonna do is cost more, make it harder to ride for a novice, and chew up rear tires faster.

HD1911
01-07-14, 10:27
Easy..... WR450F or CRF450X

I was 140lbs when I was riding 250F's and there just wasn't enough low end grunt and chug for me... you're substantially heavier than that. Go for a 450F.

Ryno12
01-07-14, 10:34
I've haven't been staying current within the dirt bike loop for awhile so I'm not really sure what's out there. Anyway, I'm sure that there are people that will disagree with me on this but if I were you, I'd get the bike you ultimately want to have in the end. Bikes are too expensive to "grow out of". Being a grown adult, physically you can handle any bike, you just have to respect the throttle and don't over ride your ability. In a matter of time, your ability will catch up to the bike. Now if you were a parent looking for suggestions for a child, I would advise otherwise. Get a bike that is sized physically & power wise to the child's ability then upgrade as the kid's size & ability (and maturity*) grows. *I think a kid's maturity level has a lot to do with "which bike" and respecting the power of them.
I started out many moons ago on a 2-stroke KX250 & even though I had a fair amount of motorcycle experience already, I was in way over my head initially, but it didn't take long & I was used to it. I'm glad I did it that way since I didn't have to spend a bunch of cash to upgrade each time I got bored with a bike.
Good luck & be safe. I've had some high speed get-offs on motorcycles but never ****ed myself up like I did on dirt bikes. Something about the addition of gravity that really compounds the "ouch factor". ;)

Sent via Tapatalk

Campbell
01-07-14, 11:02
Be patient and smart...take your time and find a nice used bike. There are plenty of people that "get in", that in short order, want to "get out". Let them take the hit.

Bike type depends on your expectations. You may be fine with another old school thumper like you had...one guy could out grow that bike{skill wise} in a few months. The next guy may never speed up enough to need anything else.

Educate yourself in maintenance needs...The new RFS{racing four strokes} are awesome machines, but are NOTHING like your old XR. These new bikes are just like hookers, you don't ride without paying.

If you haven't already, establish a relationship with the dealer in your area with the best reputation, ask him for some leads on some used bikes...check out the local enduro/hare scramble scene for some SME local help. It's a great community, good luck.

brickboy240
01-07-14, 11:19
10 grand for a dirt bike....are you all crazy?

JBecker 72
01-07-14, 12:03
10 grand for a dirt bike....are you all crazy?

Clearly you've never raced motocross lol. Most guys I know have their practice bike and a race bike. If you want contingency money, you need to be on a machine less than 2 years old.

HD1911
01-07-14, 12:08
Clearly you've never raced motocross lol. Most guys I know have their practice bike and a race bike. If you want contingency money, you need to be on a machine less than 2 years old.

Exaclty. I've known plenty of Riders that have 2 or more bikes, all race prepped identically.

Racing ain't a poor man's sport...not by a longshot.

Someone once told me when I did a quick RoadRacing stint.... If your not willing to take your completely crashed up bike, throw it in the dumpster, and walk away from it and move on to the next one...you can't afford to Race.

R0CKETMAN
01-07-14, 13:03
The headlights which come stock on most bikes suck. Something from Baja designs would be a better option.
I'd look at a KTM 300XC as a do all bike from track to trail, it's a smoker I know
Option B Honda 450X

Todd00000
01-07-14, 13:09
I recently had a Honda CRF450 and with your weight and some maturity you'll be just fine.

JBecker 72
01-07-14, 13:16
The headlights which come stock on most bikes suck. Something from Baja designs would be a better option.
I'd look at a KTM 300XC as a do all bike from track to trail, it's a smoker I know
Option B Honda 450X

The KTM 300 is an amazing machine. Their 200 is also great especially in east coast single track trails.

I recently switched back to 2 strokes for MX, and it's been a fun ride so far. Will be switching to a 14 YZ250 sometime in the future however.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/hownowbrowncow_02/Bikes/4BCE6605-6D05-458C-94BA-E8F07CECDE28-3185-000002807B6776B6_zpsb8d7467e.jpg

brickboy240
01-07-14, 14:11
Ok, if you race...I get it...the 10 grand bike makes sense.

However, most weekend warrior part time riders (like me) cannot justify that much for what is basically a toy.

At least with the Dual Sport bikes you COULD use it to get to work when your main ride goes into the shop. With the 10 grand KTM...not street legal.

Like buying an AR or 1911....much depends on one's budget and what they intend to do with the thing.

-brickboy240

Todd00000
01-07-14, 14:24
Ok, if you race...I get it...the 10 grand bike makes sense.

However, most weekend warrior part time riders (like me) cannot justify that much for what is basically a toy.

At least with the Dual Sport bikes you COULD use it to get to work when your main ride goes into the shop. With the 10 grand KTM...not street legal.

Like buying an AR or 1911....much depends on one's budget and what they intend to do with the thing.

-brickboy240
My good friend, that is a bike mechanic, has a KTM dirt bike, and he always says "but Honda is just as good."

JBecker 72
01-07-14, 14:39
My good friend, that is a bike mechanic, has a KTM dirt bike, and he always says "but Honda is just as good."

Having owned 3 KTM's and more Honda's and Yamaha's than I can count on both hands, KTM isn't anything special. I'll be moving back to Japanese bikes. Once you get past the shiny extras on the KTM like the billet triple clamps, polished hubs, and hydraulic clutch, you are left with a bike that has worse suspension and makes your wallet cry when you have to replace something like a crank, oil pump, or subframe.

What KTM does very well however is make a model for pretty much everybody. They are the only brand that makes individual models specifically tailored to any riding condition. 2 stroke or 4 stroke, MX or woods suspension, close or wide ratio transmissions, dual sport or off road only, and don't forget about the electric start.

Ryno12
01-07-14, 14:39
I recently had a Honda CRF450...

Geez... that, a 308 & your Duc, you've got a lot of fun shit. :)

Sent via Tapatalk

Airhasz
01-07-14, 15:58
I recently had a Honda CRF450 and with your weight and some maturity you'll be just fine.

Especially if your going to ride in and climb sand hills. Sand eats up horsepower!

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-07-14, 16:45
Guys, thanks for the advice. Not having ridden either, I didnt know what to expect. I checked out a few dealerships today, looked over some used Hondas and Yamahas, and then went to the local Honda Powersports dealership. I played around with an 09 and 2014 CRF450X, it just seemed like a really big bike. I then tested out a new 2012 CRF250X (and almost busted my ass in the deep snow a few times) and realized that the 250 is PLENTY of bike for me. We worked out what I think was a good deal; $6850, $200 rebate, and a one time shopping spree of any gear/accessories for cost +10%, all on a brand new bike.

This 250 is nothing like my XR200, and since I am a more cautious rider, I cant ever see needing the 450.

JBecker 72
01-07-14, 17:04
Guys, thanks for the advice. Not having ridden either, I didnt know what to expect. I checked out a few dealerships today, looked over some used Hondas and Yamahas, and then went to the local Honda Powersports dealership. I played around with an 09 and 2014 CRF450X, it just seemed like a really big bike. I then tested out a new 2012 CRF250X (and almost busted my ass in the deep snow a few times) and realized that the 250 is PLENTY of bike for me. We worked out what I think was a good deal; $6850, $200 rebate, and a one time shopping spree of any gear/accessories for cost +10%, all on a brand new bike.

This 250 is nothing like my XR200, and since I am a more cautious rider, I cant ever see needing the 450.

I think you made a great choice going with the 250X. Hope you enjoy it.

Definitely get the suspension dialed in for your weight, it will feel like a whole new machine. At your weight you will need it resprung which can be done fairly cheaply. Stock that bike is good for a 170 pound rider or so.

Many dealerships will have a tech on hand who can do this service for you, or you can go with a specialty suspension shop like Racetech, Pro-Action, etc.

Tzed250
01-07-14, 17:11
250 is a good choice. Maintain it like your life depends on it.

It might.

JBecker 72
01-07-14, 17:18
250 is a good choice. Maintain it like your life depends on it.

It might.

I agree on the maintenance. Try not to get wrapped up in all the fancy oil companies and their promises. Run an oil that meets the manufacturers recommendations, and stick to their service interval. Given your skill level, and the nature of the bike, once a year it's gonna be a good idea to make sure the valves are still in spec. Also, always, always, always run it with a clean air filter. And make sure you have it seated in the airbox properly so it isn't sucking in air around it.

Good oil that is regularly changed + clean air filter every ride + annual valve inspections will keep your thumper running like it should for a long while. These CRF motors aren't as maintenance free as XR engines, but they perform very well and can last a long time.

Todd00000
01-08-14, 00:21
Having owned 3 KTM's and more Honda's and Yamaha's than I can count on both hands, KTM isn't anything special. I'll be moving back to Japanese bikes. Once you get past the shiny extras on the KTM like the billet triple clamps, polished hubs, and hydraulic clutch, you are left with a bike that has worse suspension and makes your wallet cry when you have to replace something like a crank, oil pump, or subframe.

What KTM does very well however is make a model for pretty much everybody. They are the only brand that makes individual models specifically tailored to any riding condition. 2 stroke or 4 stroke, MX or woods suspension, close or wide ratio transmissions, dual sport or off road only, and don't forget about the electric start.
Very true, they make a lot of off road bikes. One of his comments one day in the woods, he's an amateur racer by the way, he mentioned how many more suspension adjustment clicks KTM has compared to Honda but that you have to adjust double the clicks to tell the difference anyway.

Geez... that, a 308 & your Duc, you've got a lot of fun shit. :)

Sent via Tapatalk
Yes, being single is nice sometimes, I did sell the 450 before PCSing over here.

This 250 is nothing like my XR200, and since I am a more cautious rider, I cant ever see needing the 450.Good choice, enjoy.

I agree on the maintenance. Try not to get wrapped up in all the fancy oil companies and their promises. Run an oil that meets the manufacturers recommendations, and stick to their service interval. Given your skill level, and the nature of the bike, once a year it's gonna be a good idea to make sure the valves are still in spec. Also, always, always, always run it with a clean air filter. And make sure you have it seated in the airbox properly so it isn't sucking in air around it.

Good oil that is regularly changed + clean air filter every ride + annual valve inspections will keep your thumper running like it should for a long while. These CRF motors aren't as maintenance free as XR engines, but they perform very well and can last a long time.

I agree, the only thing I added to my bike was hand guards and a good skid plate.

JBecker 72
01-08-14, 08:21
Very true, they make a lot of off road bikes. One of his comments one day in the woods, he's an amateur racer by the way, he mentioned how many more suspension adjustment clicks KTM has compared to Honda but that you have to adjust double the clicks to tell the difference anyway.

Give me some Kayaba SSS suspension over anything from WP any day.